View Full Version : Kayak

Starzz
09-08-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm looking to buy a kayak. Will be using it on the ocean. Not sure what kind to buy tho. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I borrowed a perception chinook kayak from a friend for 2 weeks, and I really liked that.

Sue :)

Haffy
09-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Tat and Kaching Karen are our premier kayakers in the group so maybe they could shed some light on the best for your use.

tat
09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
There are a lot of choices, from plastic (takes lots of abuse) to fiberglass (faster hulls) to kevlar (highest performance) to wood (the best!!)

The next biggest factor is length and width. The longer a boat is, the less likely it will be affected by the wind and the more likely it will track straight. Wider boats tend to feel more stable (at first) but, the very things that make it feel stable, make it very easy for waves to overturn it.

Then there are a lot of other things that are minor, but make a big difference. Deck rigging, day hatches, seat backs, foot pegs, rudders, skegs, cockpit size, etc., all need to be considered.

What will you be using the kayak for? Camping (high volume), quiet tidal waters (wider), surfing (very short), open water crossings (low volume), rolling (very low volume) all use slightly different boats. Of course, regardless of which you have, you will no doubt use it for something else. At least until you have 5 or 6! :)

The best way to find out what kind of boat suits you best is to test paddle as many as you can before buying.

Starzz
09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
I would be using it on the ocean. Probably going on 3-4 hour trips or maybe a day trip. I found a dimension nomad kayak for sale in the area. I am going to check it out on saturday and possible take it out for a test run to see how I like it.

Starzz
09-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I looked at the dimension nomad kayak ( http://www.dimensionkayak.com/en/nomad.html ) Saturday. The woman selling it, she does kayaking tours, and every few years she sells some of her used kayaks and gets new ones. It was in good shape, scratched a bit on the bottom, but I expected that, and the colour was faded but that didnt bother me. Didn't get to take it out, cause it was very windy that day. She said she got it for around $1,100US and she is asking around $675US for it, and she will toss in the paddles and life jacket. Is that a good price... or not?

Haffy
09-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Seems kind of steep but I don't know much about them.Offer her 500 and see what she says.

tat
09-12-2005, 05:53 PM
It looks like just the right boat for your intended needs. It is polyethelene, which means it will be a little heavy. As long as you can load/unload and launch it, weight has less to do with performance. It will certainly handle more abuse with less work and cost less than fiberglass, kevlar or wood. The length and width are right for coastal kayaking. I've never paddle one, so I don't know how big or small the cockpit is or what you might want.

$1,100 seems reasonable for the retail price. The only way you can tell what the used price should be is to look it over very carefull and try to get a deduction for anything that looks like it may need to be repaired or replaced. A new paddle can cost anywhere from 50 to 1,000. You are probably getting a lower cost paddle. New PFDs can be 25 to 200. Don't use any PFD that had dry rot or tears!

The bottom line is that it's worth what you want to pay. The price is important, but it is much more important to get the right boat.

Starzz
04-15-2006, 09:09 PM
I am looking around yet again for kayaks, and I came upon this on in LL Bean, is this a good price? Calypso Women's Kayak Package (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=calypso-womens-kayak-package&categoryId=45929&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500165&cat4=1103&shop_method=pp&feat=ssdpa1103)

robt
04-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Teh store between over between wiscassete and bath on rt 1 had a sale on them. I am not sure if it is still going on but they did have a pretty wide selecton.

Team2hunt
04-16-2006, 02:32 PM
L.L.Beans will also give you 10% off on any additional accessories that you purchase with your kayak. Like a rack, or PFD, or any other kayak accessories. I bought mine last year from them, and have not been disappointed. Still.....it always pays to shop around. And as always, try to find a place where you can try it, before you buy it.

Team2hunt
04-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Next Sunday 4-23 Karen and I will be out and about with our kayaks, weather permitting. I hate kayaking in a snow storm. :p Most likely in the Augusta area. Not exactly sure which body of water yet. Meet around 11AM and put in around NOON. Drinks and food for dinner 5PM. Or something like that. Any takers. :cool:

attroll
04-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Next Sunday 4-23 Karen and I will be out and about with our kayaks, weather permitting. I hate kayaking in a snow storm. :p Most likely in the Augusta area. Not exactly sure which body of water yet. Meet around 11AM and put in around NOON. Drinks and food for dinner 5PM. Or something like that. Any takers. :cool:

Oh Man, We are heading to New Hampsire next Sunday. If it was Saturday we might have been able to attend. Maybe next time.

Mainiac1957
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Where are you going to paddle?

Smitty & Co.
04-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Here is another choice...........

http://www.kayakandcanoe.com/html/old_town_kayak_and_canoe_-_wel.html

Kaching Karen
04-16-2006, 07:15 PM
The Calypso concerns me. You said you'd like to go on the ocean. I started in a Necky 12' kayak and quickly outgrew it. I still have it and it's a great kayak for beginners and poking around on lakes and streams. I now own a Precision Eclipse which is a rather big boat for a woman. It's high volume and everyone loves having me along for overnight trips. I can carry it all! Soon I will have to trade this one in. As I age, the weight (around 63 lbs) of the boat becomes a nuisance and I now own the slowest boat of my kayaking group. Mind you, the group is quite advanced.

I think knowing how your body fits with a boat is important. Hope we meet soon and best of luck finding a kayak.

attroll
04-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I agree with Karen. If you going to do a lot of kayaking in the ocean then you should have a 13 foot or bigger kayak. 13 might even be to small. The kayaks we own are about 13 feet and I feel comfortable in the ocean with them. But I would not do an long trips in the ocean with anything smaller.

Team2hunt
04-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Where are you going to paddle?

As I stated in an earlier post, Augusta area not sure which body of water?
Is that clearer? :rolleyes: :p

Starzz
04-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Here is another choice...........

http://www.kayakandcanoe.com/html/old_town_kayak_and_canoe_-_wel.html

I tried the kayak link on that website but its "not found".

I will be going to Ellsworth/Bangor area looking for kayaks in a month or so.

Sudonim
04-16-2006, 09:39 PM
The Calypso concerns me. You said you'd like to go on the ocean. I started in a Necky 12' kayak and quickly outgrew it. I still have it and it's a great kayak for beginners and poking around on lakes and streams. I now own a Precision Eclipse which is a rather big boat for a woman. It's high volume and everyone loves having me along for overnight trips. I can carry it all! Soon I will have to trade this one in. As I age, the weight (around 63 lbs) of the boat becomes a nuisance and I now own the slowest boat of my kayaking group. Mind you, the group is quite advanced.

I think knowing how your body fits with a boat is important. Hope we meet soon and best of luck finding a kayak.

When I bought my kayak, I wanted to be able to go on small bodies of water, but still feel safe venturing out from the shore in the ocean. I looked at the Perception Eclipse, and although it was great for the ocean, I felt it was a little too big for small rivers. I got the Corona, the next step down from the Eclipse and I love it. I've gone to the Hub, a small island in Penobscot bay with tent and gear, and done the kayak cache off Stonington, but it's still small enough to put in many large streams. I looked at the L.L. Bean boats but liked the fit/finish of the Perceptions better.

Starzz
04-16-2006, 09:54 PM
i borrowed a friends kayak last fall and it was a perception chinook. i really like that kayak, but it was 15 years old! cant seem to find one out there now.

Here is a picture of it.

kayakerinme
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM

Probably. Can you send details when you have them available?
Thanks.

Smitty & Co.
04-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I tried the kayak link on that website but its "not found".

I will be going to Ellsworth/Bangor area looking for kayaks in a month or so.

Try a phone call or an email..........;)

Mainiac1957
04-17-2006, 06:12 AM
As I stated in an earlier post, Augusta area not sure which body of water?
Is that clearer? :rolleyes: :p
I was more wondering whether it was lake or river. I see you haven't decided yet. Let me know.;)

hollora
04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
This coming weekend (21 - 23) the Old Town Canoe factory outlet store in Downtown Old Town is having a moving sale. I think it starts on Friday. See if you can find a web site for them and email. They will have blemished and a whole bunch of markdowns. Just a thought. Also look on Ebay - that will give you a guideline on pricing. Good Luck with your search.

DiverDave1998
04-18-2006, 03:11 PM
try this old town site http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/
you can go right up to old town and get a second. the loons are nice for touring

Starzz
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I am headed to Old Town EARLY (3am, don't ask!!) in the morning to get a kayak. I sat in an Adventure XL 139 (http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation_touring/adventure_xl_139.html) today and I liked that. So I am hoping I can get one of those.

tat
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Should be wicked cheap at 3am :)

firefighterjake
04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Should be wicked cheap at 3am :)

Would that be the Famous Five Fingered Discount that is offered at 3 a.m. to select clientele? :D Soon to be followed by the special chauffered ride to a small, but tidy and secure stay at a local "hotel."

tat
04-21-2006, 01:03 PM
If anyone goes the Old Town and sees a Dirigo 120, I'd like to know how much one goes for. I know someone who wants one.

thanks!

Starzz
04-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I was to Old Town to the sale this morning and I got a Cayuga 146 (http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation_touring/cayuga_146.html) and paddle for just under $700US. :D

Kaching Karen
04-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Starzz, that looks like a nice little boat! Nice price too!

d’76
04-21-2006, 06:03 PM
If anyone goes the Old Town and sees a Dirigo 120, I'd like to know how much one goes for. I know someone who wants one.

thanks!

I think that you will find tat they run about 589 all the time

WhereRWe?
04-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I was to Old Town to the sale this morning and I got a Cayuga 146 (http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation_touring/cayuga_146.html) and paddle for just under $700US. :D

Nice! RULOST2? and I used to do some kayaking. Many years ago...

Now, I'd have to tip the ting over to get out. Not something I can visualize! LOL!

Sheesh! Tough getting old. Even worse being fat and getting old! :eek:

Hiram357
04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice! RULOST2? and I used to do some kayaking. Many years ago...

Now, I'd have to tip the ting over to get out. Not something I can visualize! LOL!

Sheesh! Tough getting old. Even worse being fat and getting old! :eek:

that's why God invented bass boats with built in coolers.... :D:D:D

attroll
04-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Awesome. That was a great deal.

DiverDave1998
04-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks dave:D :) ;)

Starzz
04-22-2006, 04:49 PM
I have another question... Does my kayak need any floatation bags?

Sue

d’76
04-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Sue

if I remember correctly that boat is made from polylink. If it is it will float on its own. And if there dry stores on the boat than that will keep it up for awhile.

Starzz
04-22-2006, 05:06 PM
It is made of Variable Layer Polyethylene.

tat
04-22-2006, 06:16 PM
More floatation makes your boat safer. Floatation bags are a good idea even if you have dry storage.

You can test your boat (and your techniques) by tipping over. Choose a safe place with someone around to help, just in case.

Starzz
04-22-2006, 07:11 PM
More floatation makes your boat safer. Floatation bags are a good idea even if you have dry storage.

You can test your boat (and your techniques) by tipping over. Choose a safe place with someone around to help, just in case.

In the very cold water?? I don't think so!! Maybe I'll find a pond thats a bit warmer! hehehe

attroll
04-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Sue
I don't see why you would need them as long as you put the front and back cover on you storage holes. If storage holes are sealed with the zip lock cover on them it will act as a compartment full of air which is what a flotation bag is.

tat
04-22-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't see why you would need them as long as you put the front and back cover on you storage holes. If storage holes are sealed with the zip lock cover on them it will act as a compartment full of air which is what a flotation bag is.

Keep in mind that I said "safer" not "need". Hatch covers can and do fail. Air bag flotation provides a backup to a failed hatch. If you have one good compartment and one bad, your boat will stick up in the water like a popsicle and you won't have fun.

tat
04-22-2006, 09:23 PM
In the very cold water?? I don't think so!! Maybe I'll find a pond thats a bit warmer! hehehe

I know it's very cold, but I'd rather find out a problem in ideal circumstances than try to figure out a solution when it's too late. Perhaps the one biggest thing anyone can do to increase safety is to dress for immersion. Wear a dry suit this time of year and a wet suit until the water is warm enough.

Sudonim
04-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Aren't they all dry suits until you dump?:eek:

Starzz
04-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I just ordered 2 of these kayak floatation bags (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=kayak-flotation-bags&categoryId=23655&parentCategory=8300&cat4=8277&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa8277) . They was just a tiny bit cheaper on LLBean, than on the Old Town Canoe website. I ordered them by phone and the woman isnt going to charge me for shipping! :)

Starzz
04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Yet again another question..... car rack for the kayak.. anything out there thats temporary besides the big foam pads?

Sue

Sudonim
04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Yet again another question..... car rack for the kayak.. anything out there thats temporary besides the big foam pads?

Sue

Duct tape is pretty temporary...maybe even goes away before you are done transporting the kayak.

but seriously, the foam pads work pretty good if you don't want to invest in a rack system (I have a Thule and love it, it seems to be the one you see most of the time. There are less expensive ones out there, but they don't work as well/not as nicely made, etc) Just my opinion of course.:D