View Full Version : Micro's in Lewiston

attroll
10-02-2005, 09:19 PM
We all know how much most of us hate micro cache here in Maine. Well here is a couple that you will really rant and rave about.

Well we went to do two micros this afternoon and it gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Not that I liked them in the first place but I will warn everyone about these two. They are "Downtown LA - Park Street" and
"Downtown LA II" - Gateway Park. Here is my idea on micro's and what I originally posted in the logs about it and was asked to remove it by the cache owner. No disrespect towards the owner is intended here. Just stating my opinion on this.

This is one of the reason I hate micro's. You drive a long distance in some cases to go to do a cache and see places that you have never seen and you spend the whole time trying to find a stupid micro and not having time to see the place it took you to. It also makes you look like a fool looking for the micro and makes people wonder what the heck you are doing and then everyone ask what you are doing and you have it takes up your time because you have to explain what geocaching is all about. I will not come back to this micro unless I come with a whole group of people.

This had definitely made me change my mind about micro's. I will eliminate micro caches from my geocaching finds from now on unless I go with a large group of cachers together.

So my advice to anyone that is going to drive a long distance to look for there caches is don't bother unless you really like the challenges of hard micro's. Save your gas for something that will take you to a more interesting places rather than a park that is less then 100 feet square with nothing in it to see.

Gob-ler
10-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Sorry you do not like doing micros. It is my prefered cache, both doing and hiding.

I have put explicit hints down for both of them.

Granted it is not a rubber maid container hid under a pile of sticks with a wet log or old stash in it, but it is a cache that is legally placed and well with in the guidelines set by Geocaching.com.

I personally hate puzzle caches and usually do not do many of them for that reason. What I do not do is go on a rant about it.

I have emailed you and asked that you redo your log entries. You can rant on here, but please do not rant in the log entry.

As for what the future holds, I am just getting started. Some like a bit of a challenge.

P.S. I emailed you the hints that you need to log the cache. When you do Park Street let me know when your coming up and I'll buy lunch or breakfest.

Cache On!

attroll
10-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry you do not like doing micros. It is my prefered cache, both doing and hiding.

I have put explicit hints down for both of them.

Granted it is not a rubber maid container hid under a pile of sticks with a wet log or old stash in it, but it is a cache that is legally placed and well with in the guidelines set by Geocaching.com.

I personally hate puzzle caches and usually do not do many of them for that reason. What I do not do is go on a rant about it.

I have emailed you and asked that you redo your log entries. You can rant on here, but please do not rant in the log entry.

As for what the future holds, I am just getting started. Some like a bit of a challenge.

P.S. I emailed you the hints that you need to log the cache. When you do Park Street let me know when your coming up and I'll buy lunch or breakfest.

Cache On!As I stated above. Not disrespect towards you and I hope you do not take it that way. I was just stating my opinions on micro's and to tell people that have to drive a long ways not to waist there gas if they have a hard time with micro's. I know if people drive a long ways to do one then drive all the way back home too and then get another hint from the cache placer that it will not site to well with the price of gas as it is. Chances are they may not make the drive back to look for it again. I will go and edit my entries as soon as I get done reading this site here.

tat
10-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Before you give up on micros, try Keewaydin Lake Micro Treasure, Waterfront Property and Farbucks 13.

Rick, I wonder if you hate micros or don't like urban caches. I am very picky about urban caches, so I know what you mean about being watched. It's just not my cup of tea either.

But, there are city people and country folk. If you were truly comfortable with being in a city, the people would not be a concern at all. I'm sure we've all heard a lot of complaints from city people who discover insects and poisonous plants and can't imagine why anyone would lure the unsuspecting cacher to such a place.

There is really no need to write OR be offended by the truth. Micros are great, if you like them, Swamps are great, if you like them, Urban caches are great, if you like them, even entertaining the locals can be fun!

Just be sure you are honest and not misleading.

WhereRWe?
10-03-2005, 03:37 PM
We all know how much most of us hate micro cache here in Maine. Well here is a couple that you will really rant and rave about.

Rick, I don't think anyone has badmouthed microcaches in this forum more than me. But I have seen some that are very well placed, worth the hunt, and definitely have a reason for being a micro. Before RULOST2? and I went on our trip to Illinois, I joked a lot about becoming a "cache whore" and visiting Nashville (sometimes known as "Cacheville") on the way back. After we started out, we even got email from a promonent Nasheville cacher offering to "show us around". By that time we had already decided to head north and thue kept our reputations more or less intact.

We cached in 7 states, and a lot of the caches we hit were micros. There are dozens of them on Canadian route 401 through Ontario, almost all in the beautiful picnic areas they have at the rest stops. They'd be great for kids taking a break on long trip.

We'll never accept the film can in the lightpost at the fast food restaurant or shopping center, but micros have a purpose. And yes, I've been PO'd many times because we couldn't find the freaking mcro!

Anyway, check this cache. It was the last one of our trip out west, and quite appropriate to the discussion. The cache is in Quebec, but the description is in both French and English:

De Nashville Sherbrooke (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9a98a1c8-7477-4e80-8280-d51b09d85bf6)

parmachenee
10-03-2005, 05:00 PM
But I have seen some that are very well placed, worth the hunt, and definitely have a reason for being a micro.
We'll never accept the film can in the lightpost at the fast food restaurant or shopping center, but micros have a purpose. And yes, I've been PO'd many times because we couldn't find the freaking mcro!
[/URL]

We have placed a couple of small caches that could be considered micros and included good hints, since everyone has been able to find them, which I thought fit the area and traffic well. We have seen some very enjoyable and challenging micros, some of which TAT mentioned, along with the Off Your Rocker caches at Cracker Barrel restaurants that are a hoot. Finding these caches were not as difficult as retrieving them with so many people coming and going. Reading the logs about the techniques people use to get them is hilarious. So micros can be fun...and frustrating. I think good hints should be included though...after all...finding them is SO MUCH less frustrating. :D If you don't like micros, don't do them. If you don't like 2-mile walks don't do them. That's what's great about caching...you CAN pick the ones you want to do.

Hoamdezinahs
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
If you don' like micros why don't you just block them on your cache find page, and not bother wasting your time looking for them,(especially if your not good enough to find them) rather that knock someone who in my opinion is darn creative in thinking up hides. I was FTF on two of them and will admit I had to go back twice to Park St, but I think they were great hides. It dosen't take a lot of thinking to put out (or find) a leaky tupperware container under a couple sticks that is so easy to find even with bad co-ords a 4 year old can find it. I also think it's not very nice to down someone, just because you can't find their caches. Maybe you should just stick to 1 1/2 to 2 hides and leave the 3 and 4 hides to those who can find them. Please don't try to find my 3 and 4 cache hides, I don't need the unwarrented bad press. I think your caches were great ideas Dick, and hope you don't let a sore sport get you down. John
P.S. The only ones that don't like micros are the ones that can't find them, Dah.

Mainiac1957
10-03-2005, 06:34 PM
There is a line here of common courtesy, and I feel you have just crossed it.

d76
10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I agree with you Brad. After alll does it matter who likes what for caches.....

WhereRWe?
10-03-2005, 07:10 PM
There is a line here of common courtesy, and I feel you have just crossed it.

I agree. Thanks for saying what I felt, Brad. :D :D

Hiram357
10-03-2005, 07:48 PM
(this is not meant to be rude or targeting any persons so don't get all disgruntled, I'm just posting my opinion) I personally don't like urban caches, I too feel like most of them are a waste of time. I would much rather climb a mountain to find a trashed cache (Bass & Drum Arena) then to walk around a downtown area (especially lewiston) where you can barely see the sky. I have done quite a few micros, and found them with no trouble, and I don't care for them much unless they take you to an interesting part of a town (like a good bar)

attroll
10-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Sorry I crossed the line. I was not saying that the placer of the cache did a terrible job or anything. If you like micro's and the challenge then this would be an awesome two caches for you to do. My point is that if you have a hard time with micro's and are driving a long distance to do them then you should think twice on these two with the way gas prixes are. It would be a pain for someone driving from lets say Bangor to do these two and not finding them and the only way to get a better hint is wait until they got all the ay back home to Bangor and logged the DNF. Then have the placer send a better hint.

I am am not saying these are crappy caches. It was just suppose to be a warning for those that had to drive a ways and have hard times with mirco's. Maybe I got to deep into it. Sorry if I did. I know I was very upset that night I came home. I have calmed down since then.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-04-2005, 05:08 AM
If you don' like micros why don't you just block them on your cache find page, and not bother wasting your time looking for them,(especially if your not good enough to find them) rather that knock someone who in my opinion is darn creative in thinking up hides. I was FTF on two of them and will admit I had to go back twice to Park St, but I think they were great hides. It dosen't take a lot of thinking to put out (or find) a leaky tupperware container under a couple sticks that is so easy to find even with bad co-ords a 4 year old can find it. I also think it's not very nice to down someone, just because you can't find their caches. Maybe you should just stick to 1 1/2 to 2 hides and leave the 3 and 4 hides to those who can find them. Please don't try to find my 3 and 4 cache hides, I don't need the unwarrented bad press. I think your caches were great ideas Dick, and hope you don't let a sore sport get you down. John
P.S. The only ones that don't like micros are the ones that can't find them, Dah.

Sheesh, comments like these only perpetuate the derision between folks. I hope that these forums don't digress into a bunch of mudslinging.:(

firefighterjake
10-04-2005, 07:44 AM
[/b]

Sheesh, comments like these only perpetuate the derision between folks. I hope that these forums don't digress into a bunch of mudslinging.:(
Hear. Hear . . . because otherwise it would be too much like being at work. :)

Hoamdezinahs
10-04-2005, 07:59 AM
No matter how you cut it, it seems to me that At Troll is crying over spilled milk. Why beat someone up just because you can't find their cache. And whats the fun in claiming a find if you have to go with a bunch of people so that you can log a find after one of your friends finds it for you. Gob-ler is extreamly creative. Can you say that about most 1 or 2 hides? Sometimes I'm not to tactful but everything I said was the "truth".

TwoMaineiacs
10-04-2005, 08:12 AM
From a personal point of view I'd much rather be sitting up the top of Morse Mountain looking at the view and being happy for the lost calories getting there than peeking under park benches. However, the micros being discussed are very cleverly hidden. Well I should say one is because we haven't yet found the other one at Downtown LA Park Street after two tries. Fortunately the gas expended has been part of our trips to BJs for groceries. I think we all have to make our choices on what type of caches we are going to look for and weigh the cost in time, energy, gas and frustration to do them.

Joe is better at puzzles than I am. I'm better at navigating than he is. We both enjoy the scenic walks especially along the ocean and lakes. Will we continue to do all types of caches, including micros? Probably mostly because we are runing out of caches relatively near our home base. I've cursed both Homeadezina for his Pez Challenge and Gob-ler for Park Street but have kept going back as the challenge is more than usual. The thought and effort that goes into some of the caches is amazing - such as "Battleship" in Bangor and "Muggletown" in Freeport. Fortunately for all of us, there are many tpes of caches and you get to pick what you want to do.

We'll be visiting family in PA and VA soon and are gathering cache sites along the way to try. Since we are going to go to the Gettysburg Battlefield for the day, we will be limited to virtuals. I know we will learn from the history at those virtual sites and thus include virtuals in our caches. Same for the ones we just did in Acadia National Park. One of those hikes behind Sand Beach kicked up my hip bursitis but I can still close my eyes and see the views along the way thus making it more than worth while.

I've been contemplating starting a new message thread on what is "kosher" for hiding a cache on public property. Might do so if I can phrase myself so that the discussion is constructive. :o

Anne

WhereRWe?
10-04-2005, 08:16 AM
[/b]

I seem to be agreeing with a lot of people lately! LOL!

And I also seem to remember a time when we respected our "elders"...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

attroll
10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
No matter how you cut it, it seems to me that At Troll is crying over spilled milk. Why beat someone up just because you can't find their cache. And whats the fun in claiming a find if you have to go with a bunch of people so that you can log a find after one of your friends finds it for you. Gob-ler is extreamly creative. Can you say that about most 1 or 2 hides? Sometimes I'm not to tactful but everything I said was the "truth".
Well I am not going to argue ot dwell on this anymore. Hoamdezinahs your right if I don't like them then it is my choice not to do them. Which I probably will not.

As for going with a bunch people. Well everything is more fun when you do things with other cachers. I did not mean that for the purpose of having someone else find it for me so I could log it. It was meant so as when someone else finds it then they can give me clue to help me or give me asistance. I am not good at micro's as I said. If I had someone with expereience with me then they could show or teach me what to look for. I will do these two again if I can get someone to go with me that has some experience at these. ut I am not going to drive there myself just to look for them.

I apoligize if I got down on Gob-ler or made it look that way. I was not mad at him. Like I said I was mad at myself for not finind them. I am over it now. I am sorry I even posted about it now.

Hoamdezinahs
10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
AT Troll, your a big man to admit your mistake, and I for one, respect you for it. I think a lot of times we all get ticked of at one time or another at some of the caches we look for, I know I do. (Heck I looked for FTF at park street and didn't find it, and got a $10.00 parking ticket to boot)
I also apoligize to you, if I offended you in any way, but you have to understand that I respect Gob-ler a lot for his ingenious (ok devious) thinking on his hides, and very much look forward to his next one. If you tried my Alexanders Challenge, you'd know why I like his hides.
If we all liked the same kind it would be pritty boaring wouldn't it. I wish that every cache could be a (CTTYSS) "Cache that take you somewhere special", but they're not.
I also agree with you about gas prices today, my sumer ride or my truck aren't the greatest for fuel milage, and I no longer travel long distances for FTF's.
On the weekends when we do travel, I try to print up 8 or 10 caches that I feel will be of interest to us according to the cache sheet info. Some always turn out to be great, and some always turn out to be real bumers, but thats the same as a box of chocolates, ain't it.
These forums are great though, just so long as we can say what we want all be friends in the end, and if we can all learn from one another. Cache on - John

parmachenee
10-04-2005, 03:46 PM
On the weekends when we do travel, I try to print up 8 or 10 caches that I feel will be of interest to us according to the cache sheet info. Some always turn out to be great, and some always turn out to be real bumers, but thats the same as a box of chocolates, ain't it.
These forums are great though, just so long as we can say what we want all be friends in the end, and if we can all learn from one another. Cache on - John

We agree on both parts of this statement. We now plan our trips to include as many caches as possible...because of the numbers...$$$ that is. :eek: and the quality varies...but it just makes it that much nicer when you find that exceptional cache. And yes...we all prefer different caches but it's nice to be able to agree to disagree. :D

firefighterjake
10-05-2005, 11:06 AM
OK everybody . . . real big group hug! Not that I'm the sensitive type though. :p

Gob-ler
10-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Not trying in any way to stir the pot, but there are two new micro's in the Downtown L/A series.

One remains unfound, anyone up for a micro hunt? :)

attroll
10-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Not trying in any way to stir the pot, but there are two new micro's in the Downtown L/A series.

One remains unfound, anyone up for a micro hunt? :)

LOL

I would be willing to try and find them this weekend if someone is up for going with me. I am not going to try one of these on my own again. LOL

Gob-ler
10-14-2005, 07:12 AM
AT if you do decide definately to Compass Circle first it is relatively easy. Railroad park is a very tough one.