View Full Version : Parperless for Dummies

FFFarmer
10-04-2005, 06:06 AM
I know this topic has been beat to death, but a lot of the discussions are older ones and I am sure there is newer software etc.
I just aquired a Palm Zire 31
I am a premium member
What do I need to make it work???
Looks like GSAK is popular
Do I need to buy and download Cachemate to my Palm?????

Mainiac1957
10-04-2005, 06:51 AM
GSAK and Cachemate are what I use for Palm and they seem to do the trick. Buy the registered version and you won't regret it. Cachemate is straight forward while GSAK takes a little getting used to. GSAK is very powerful and versatile. Clyde will answer all e-mails very quickly if you have a question. Good luck Ron

WhereRWe?
10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
I know this topic has been beat to death, but a lot of the discussions are older ones and I am sure there is newer software etc.
I just aquired a Palm Zire 31
I am a premium member
What do I need to make it work???
Looks like GSAK is popular
Do I need to buy and download Cachemate to my Palm?????

I agree with Brad. Get both GSAK and Cachemate and you'll be VERY glad you did. When you do, email me and I'll be glad to help you with them.

Bruce

TwoMaineiacs
10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Having just acquired a Zire 31 and the full version of Cachemate, I'll learn along with you. :) How I made it this long without a Palm I dont' know since I like gear so much.

Anne

WhereRWe?
10-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Having just acquired a Zire 31 and the full version of Cachemate, I'll learn along with you. :) How I made it this long without a Palm I dont' know since I like gear so much.

Anne

Which reminds me - I have a question maybe someone could answer. (Even "experienced" users have questions! LOL)

How to I export waypoints from GSAK to the expansion memory in my Zire 71 so that Cachemate can use it?

TIA.

Bruce

Sabby
10-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I send data to Cachemate by first doing a search in GSAK to get only the waypoints that I want to transfer. Then do a FILE,EXPORT,CACHEMATE PDB FILE. That brings up a window that you use to select the file name and location you want and the formats for the data to transfer. After clicking on GENERATE GSAK runs a conversion program and writes the .pdb file and provides you with another window (Install tool), click DONE. The next time you SYNCHRONIZE your Palm the file will be uploaded to your hand held.

You can also customize the GSAK toolbar to add a Cachemate button. Clicking on that button does the FILE,EXPORT,CACHEMATE PDB FILE for you.

Hope this helps and is clear.

WhereRWe?
10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I send data to Cachemate by first doing a search in GSAK to get only the waypoints that I want to transfer. Then do a FILE,EXPORT,CACHEMATE PDB FILE. That brings up a window that you use to select the file name and location you want and the formats for the data to transfer. After clicking on GENERATE GSAK runs a conversion program and writes the .pdb file and provides you with another window (Install tool), click DONE. The next time you SYNCHRONIZE your Palm the file will be uploaded to your hand held.

You can also customize the GSAK toolbar to add a Cachemate button. Clicking on that button does the FILE,EXPORT,CACHEMATE PDB FILE for you.

Hope this helps and is clear.

Thanks, but I do that already but am unable or change the destination from handheld to SD card.

Guess I should have been more specific... :o :o :o

FFFarmer
10-04-2005, 05:26 PM
OK.............Where the heck do I find Cachemate???????????
I've got GSAK's newest version downloaded so far (gotta love dial-up, my arm is still sore from cranking the phone for 28 mins)

WhereRWe?
10-04-2005, 05:29 PM
OK.............Where the heck do I find Cachemate???????????
I've got GSAK's newest version downloaded so far (gotta love dial-up, my arm is still sore from cranking the phone for 28 mins)

htttp://smittyware.com

FFFarmer
10-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks WhereRWe, I think we are getting there, see you can teach a Dummie!!!!!!!!!

WhereRWe?
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks WhereRWe, I think we are getting there, see you can teach a Dummie!!!!!!!!!

LOL! I think you need to come to a couple of geocaching events. "Geocaching for Dummies" has been passed out as a door prize a couple of times I believe!

:) :) :)

dí76
10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I have the book Geocaching for Dummies.(how appropriate) and would lend it to anyone interested and then pass it one to the next victim of technology.

DAve;)

FFFarmer
10-04-2005, 07:03 PM
So far I have GSAK downloaded to the computer and Cachemate to the Palm, but I can't seem to figure out where to go from here. I am about to start a thread "smashed electronics for drunken Dummies":eek:

dí76
10-04-2005, 07:21 PM
The file that you download from GSAK you need to convert to a cache mate file for the palm. Go to the actual file in "your computer" labeled cachemate then open "file converter" Then open "cmconvent" that has a globe icon next to it. That will open the file converter at that point drag the red GSAK icon to the open window of the file converter and see what happens. I know it's alot of BS all at once but its worth it.

Good Luck,
Dave

FFFarmer
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks Dave, I'm totally lost, I couldn't get your PM
nothing is working so I'm going to call it quits for now
besides my wife is dragging me away.

dí76
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks Dave, I'm totally lost, I couldn't get your PM
nothing is working so I'm going to call it quits for now
besides my wife is dragging me away.
Go get em Tiger:D :D :D

attroll
10-05-2005, 01:00 AM
The file that you download from GSAK you need to convert to a cache mate file for the palm. Go to the actual file in "your computer" labeled cachemate then open "file converter" Then open "cmconvent" that has a globe icon next to it. That will open the file converter at that point drag the red GSAK icon to the open window of the file converter and see what happens. I know it's alot of BS all at once but its worth it.

Good Luck,
DaveThere is not converting need Dave. Wow, I would be lost too.

First you need to set up and run a query on GC web site(to run query's you must be a Premium Member). Once you get the query then it will be sent to you in a zip file to your email address. You will need to unzip the file.

When the file has been unzipped then go to GSAK and then click on the open icon(the folder at the top left on screen) and go to the file you unzipped and open it. This will put all the caches that you set up in your querry into GSAK for you. Now you will need to get the files you want to put on you palm into cachemate. That would most likely be the not found caches I am asuming. There is a lot of way to do this. You can pick and choose. But I will make it simple until you have played with it some more.

On the bottom left hand side of the GSAK screen you will see four different color boxes with numbers in it. Double click the white box. This should bring up all the caches that you have not found. Now click on the Cachemate icon in the top of the GASK screen(blue scircel with flag in it). This will prompt you to another screen where you will have to pick where you want to save the file it is going to create. Make sure there is a check mark in INSTALL TO PALM AFTER CONVERSION. I pretty much put a check mark in all the boxes on this screen. Now click Generate.

After this is done then all you need to do is Hot Sync you palm to you computer and the file will upload to th palm. Once that is done and you open cachemate on the palm it will ask you where you want to opne the file to. If it is the not found caches them open it in the NOT Found file.

I hope this did not confuse you more. I tried my best to explain it good.

Like Bruce said if you come to hte next cache event then we can show you if you can not get it figured out.

WhereRWe?
10-05-2005, 07:10 AM

Good Luck,
Dave

No, no - it's a lot easier that that.

FFFArmer - I assume you have a docking station for your Zire with Hot Sync capabilities. Secondly, I also assume the Cachemate software is loaded and configured.

I also assume you've downloaded a pocket query and have loaded it into GSAK.

In GSAK, click on file/export/cachemate pdb file. This will create a cachemate file (the waypoints) on your desktop. Use your Hotsync software and the waypoints will be loaded into cachemate on your PDA. (Sot sure of the exact procedure with the Zire 31, but looks like you have a hotsync cable to connect the computer/PDA at least. Your software will give you instructions on transferring the file to the PDA).

You can load the same waypoints into your GPS from GSAK by clicking on gps/send waypoints.

Works great.

Email me if you have problems - easier than using this thread.

lbruce@somtel.com

:D :D

Slate
10-05-2005, 08:18 AM
You will need to unzip the file. When the file has been unzipped then go to GSAK and then click on the open icon(the folder at the top left on screen) and go to the file you unzipped and open it.
You can actually save a step in this process. There is no need to unzip the file, GSAK will handle the zipped file. I usually just save the zip file to my desktop and click and drag it into GSAK.

WhereRWe?
10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
You can actually save a step in this process. There is no need to unzip the file, GSAK will handle the zipped file. I usually just save the zip file to my desktop and click and drag it into GSAK.

Did you do something to GSAK to make it do that? It won't handle zipped files for me... :( :( :(

firefighterjake
10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
So far I have GSAK downloaded to the computer and Cachemate to the Palm, but I can't seem to figure out where to go from here. I am about to start a thread "smashed electronics for drunken Dummies":eek:
Sounds like FFFarmer may have exceeded the crucial alcohol content level. 1-2 drinks = takes the edge off the belief that messing with the Palm, computer and GPS will totally erase all memory. 6-7 drinks = takes away the one thing keeping you from smashing said Palm, computer and GPS with a 5 lb. ballpeen hammer.

firefighterjake
10-05-2005, 11:35 AM
After attempting to follow this thread this "Dummy of Dummies" thinks he will stick to his tried and true, "wet, soggy and crumpled-up paper" system. :)

Slate
10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Did you do something to GSAK to make it do that? It won't handle zipped files for me... :( :( :(
I don't think I had to make any changes to the settings. Are you using the most recent version? I am using version 6.0.2.

attroll
10-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I did not know that. I will have to give that a try. Thanks

FFFarmer
10-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I also have version 6.0.2.
the electronics survived the night and I am ready to take another stab at it

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-05-2005, 04:12 PM

NO KIDDING, IT WORKS!!!!!!:eek: I get 3 pocket queries daily from GC.COM and install them into GSAK using my own macro. I originally unzipped the attachments from gc.com but I found all I had to do was tell it to load the "zip" file and it works perfectly, even when using a Macro!!! Thanks for the tip!!!!

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-05-2005, 04:13 PM
After attempting to follow this thread this "Dummy of Dummies" thinks he will stick to his tried and true, "wet, soggy and crumpled-up paper" system. :)

Well,,,,,you do work for the Bangor Fire Dept.,,,,,we understand........LOL

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks, but I do that already but am unable or change the destination from handheld to SD card.

Guess I should have been more specific... :o :o :o

I have an old PALM M515 so that would have been nice to but the database on the SD card, (and I have) but cachemate doesn't recognize it. I find alot of times that a card writer works better than "hotsyncing" and it is a lot faster. Plus with the card writer its easier to remove the old databases if your not overwriting them.

FFFarmer
10-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks to a quick call to GeoTech Support (Dave 1976) we finally got Geocaching.com talking to the computer, and the computer talking to the palm.
We have finally gone PAPERLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to everyone that helped out, I was able to use alot of that info.
:D

WhereRWe?
10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks to everyone that helped out, I was able to use alot of that info.
:D

You're welcome! :D :D :D

Haffy
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Hmmm that's weird I have been just dragging the zip file into GSAk all along without unzipping it. Seems I have been saving myself all that time and didn't even know it....lol:):):) Glad you finally got it all straightened out Ron. And now the fun begins. And just think of all the trees and printing ink you will be saving in the long run too.