View Full Version : Contacts

d’76
10-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey all,

I was thinking alittle......

Oh yah, thats right.

I was thinking that I would start keeping track of all the home phone, cell numbers and towns that folks are from that I could use when I am caching. I figured if I kept it in the palm I would always have them with me. They would be nice to have if we are in an area where there are other local cachers and would like to hook up and grab dinner or a beverage(beer). Does any one object to this? I wouldn't make it a public thread but more of a PM and I will keep track of them in the palm then I could beam them to others at events or on the trail. It would also be helpful if we are looking for a cache and need to "Phone a Friend".

Dave

FFFarmer
10-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I think that is a good idea Dave, anyone who wants to get in can and those that don't, don't have to. I already owe you a beverage so I HAVE to get in (LOL):D .

Haffy
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Beam me up Scotty,,,,,,, I like the idea Dave.

Hiram357
10-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Beer????????

d’76
10-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Like I said PM me with the numbers and names and I will keep trake of them for the next time we get togeather

Hiram357
10-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Beeeeeeer.......?

attroll
10-06-2005, 12:15 AM
I like this idea Dave, but have some questions.

What format are they going to be in for the palm and will we need a seperate program installed on our palm?

How will we get updates or will you send updates to everyone as soon as you get changes or updates?

d’76
10-06-2005, 07:16 AM
I was going to use the address book in the palm and I was also going to beam them when I saw folks. I don't know if there is a way to email the address book in a palm ot folks but I can look in to it.

attroll
10-06-2005, 11:46 AM
That would work great but that means we all have to go to Bangor to get it or you would have to hook up with us somewhere. I don't know how it would work. I think if you were to beam the whole address book. So that means that we would also get your personal phone numbers. Another thing to think about is those that do not have the BEAM capability. I have a Zire but not everyone has a Zire.

d’76
10-06-2005, 03:59 PM
It's not without flaws but it will get us started:)

Mainiac1957
10-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Any Palm OS device can beam to any other Palm OS device. As long as beam receive is enabled. Also you can pick which part of and address book is beamed. I have all my cacher contacts in a subgroup called... you guessed it "Cachers". Of course this will be no help to the Pocket PC crowd. Maybe someone can work on one for them. As far as getting it around it should be straight forward. As people get together be it at an event or just caching together we can start passing the lists along. As the list grows we just keep passing them back and forth. At least this is one way to do it. I'm sure there are plenty of alternitives to this. As Dave said it's a start.

d’76
10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Ok,

So far I have:
Cammy, Ron and Emily, Judy, Rick and Donna, Andy(sudonim),Tom(tat), Brad

This is a pretty short list so far.....

Anyone would be helpful

Hiram357
10-06-2005, 08:45 PM
well you can add me to the list, except I'm usually at work or trekking through the woods, so calling me at home would be next to pointless (because when I am home I'm online) and I don't have a cell phone (except for my company phone, and the boss tends to frown upon personal calls over 1 second long) sooo, you can add my email to the list which is apmcgarvey@yahoo.com (which is already in all my public profiles) other then that the next best way to get ahold of me is by u.s.mail.... soooo good luck with the list :D

attroll
10-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Any Palm OS device can beam to any other Palm OS device. As long as beam receive is enabled

I did not know the pre Zire palms all had the beam function.

becket
10-07-2005, 06:26 AM
i have a palm m130 and it has the beam function i don't know how old the palm is, as it was given to me i will pm you my info, dave

robt
10-07-2005, 08:10 AM
it could be placed in outlook or outlook express an be outputed then it shouldbe compatqable with both the palm os and the win ce os.

robt

d’76
10-10-2005, 03:05 PM
After researching this, there are several thrid party software groups out there that make beaming any pda or pocket pc possible. I was thinking that I may put it in mine but that means that I have to move the info to other pocket pcs.

Are there many pocket pcs out there?

I was suprised that I haven't recieved more phone numbers from fellow cachers. I know that many cachers here are under witness protection but I think you will be safe. I haven't received any from Northern Maine but I think that is because they don't have phones up there.:p

Dave

robt
10-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I for 1 an useing a win ce unit so it would be helpfull, let me know what programs I would need to install.

Also, you should allready have my info correct?

Rob T

After researching this, there are several thrid party software groups out there that make beaming any pda or pocket pc possible. I was thinking that I may put it in mine but that means that I have to move the info to other pocket pcs.

Are there many pocket pcs out there?

I was suprised that I haven't recieved more phone numbers from fellow cachers. I know that many cachers here are under witness protection but I think you will be safe. I haven't received any from Northern Maine but I think that is because they don't have phones up there.:p

Dave

d’76
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
I think that Beam Pro will do it. I know that it is old, I'm not sure if it will work for xp

I have your info Robt

robt
10-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I will check and see if I can get it to work in the next few days

I think that Beam Pro will do it. I know that it is old, I'm not sure if it will work for xp

I have your info Robt

d’76
10-10-2005, 04:53 PM
When PMing me I could use your first name as well.

Thanks

DAve

d’76
10-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Ricks event is coming right up and I only have 16 names on the contact list. It would be nice to have more.

:(

WhereRWe?
10-12-2005, 04:49 PM
No offense, Dave, but a lot of people don't like to give out personal information, or have people carrying it around with them.

:D :D :D

d’76
10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I just thought this way would be easier than googling your name then people searching thats all.;)

tat
10-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm an old fashioned guy.... I have mine published right in the phone book!

attroll
10-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Dave I think you have all my information don't you?

Have you decided how this will be handled. Is the going to be another program that we are going to need to install on our PDA's or how is it going to be handled?

d’76
10-13-2005, 07:26 AM
I have sent beamed messages to several palms with no trouble and I have beamed to a hp pocket pc. I don't know if i could beam back from an hp pocket pc or not. I still need to look at some other programs out there.:)

tat
10-13-2005, 08:37 AM
If you would like to test an Ipaq, I should be able to bring one to the event. Please let me know ahead of time.