View Full Version : Ammo Boxs

DiverDave1998
10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
can someone tell me where you can get ammo boxs cheap

J_Cyr
10-19-2005, 10:26 AM
I have bought them on ebay before. Just have to watch how much shipping is.

Sometimes you can pick them up at garage sales real cheap too. But depending on ize, you average amm box is between $4-$7. Also, sometimes if you buy quanity, the prices of them will significantly decrease. I would check around at garage sales and ebay!

firefighterjake
10-19-2005, 12:58 PM
can someone tell me where you can get ammo boxs cheap

Army-Navy surplus stores sell them cheaply.

The store in Brewer and Newport (Maine Military Supply) was selling the "standard" (the size we most commonly see) for $2.50 each a few weeks back.

Personally, I am a big fan of the ammo can. I have seen a lot of soggy caches in tupperware, plastic pails and pill containers . . . it could happen I suppose, but I have yet to find a soggy cache with an ammo container. The main drawback though is the price and limiting factor with the size . . . although you might be surprised how creative you can get when hiding an ammo can.

Mainiac1957
10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Cheaper than dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) They are reasonably priced and are in good condition. Several of us on here have bought from them. Have fun.

WhereRWe?
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Cheaper than dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) They are reasonably priced and are in good condition. Several of us on here have bought from them. Have fun.

I checked their site today and they didn't seem ot have any of the small boxes. Looks like they have "big" and "bigger".

But I aslo have bought from them, and the boxes I received could well have been new. Keep checking their site.

:) :) :)

Smitty & Co.
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
www.colemans.com (http://www.colemans.com) is another good surplus store, heck, you can purchase a two ton truck if ya want!! For ammo boxes just use their search engine and just type in "ammo" that should bring ya to a page or two of goodies.

becket
10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
i got mine at the military store in brewer (and what an experience going in there!) there were tons of ammo boxes and i picked through them - they were in good shape. i spray painted them just because... and this reminds me that i have to go put some out and get rid of the rubbermaid ones. they were $2.50.

Hiram357
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey Dave in agusta before the first rotary on the left side there's a surplus store, i think its called top kicks or somethin like that, but they sell all different sizes of ammo boxes $5 and up, and they have a lot of other cool gear that is good for geocaching :D there's also a surplus store behind the abuchons in newport, i haven't been in there yet, but they might have somethin because they advertise military surplus

WhereRWe?
10-20-2005, 06:33 AM
There's also a surplus store in Farmington, but I haven't beenthere in a while and am not sure if they have ammo boxes or not. But most surplus stores DO have them, so...

:D :D

firefighterjake
10-20-2005, 08:04 AM
there's also a surplus store behind the abuchons in newport, i haven't been in there yet, but they might have somethin because they advertise military surplus

Is there an echo here . . . I could have sworn that I mentioned Maine Military Supply's store in Newport in my earlier post. :)

Hiram357
10-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Is there an echo here . . . I could have sworn that I mentioned Maine Military Supply's store in Newport in my earlier post. :)

ahhh yes, I see you did make mention of that... I apologize, I browse through the insignificant posts so quickly I don't always catch everything:p

so since you've been there... what kinda good stuff do they have?
and an off the topic note... I have a smoke alarm that I believe originally belonged to you, I had to take it out of one of your caches because I couldn't get everything back in to save my life:rolleyes: would you like it back, or do you have any larger caches that might be able to accomodate it? (the thing has been riding in the back of my jeep for about 2 months, we haven't found any caches large enough for it)

WhereRWe?
10-20-2005, 07:04 PM
I apologize, I browse through the insignificant posts so quickly I don't always catch everything:p

We don't read your insignificant messages either! LOL!

Hiram357
10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
We don't read your insignificant messages either! LOL!

that hurt, that cut me real deep man... i was only making a joke and here you have to come in for the kill and beat up on me :(

i hope your happy, im going to go crawl under the kitchen sink and cry now. :(

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
10-20-2005, 08:06 PM
that hurt, that cut me real deep man... i was only making a joke and here you have to come in for the kill and beat up on me :(

i hope your happy, im going to go crawl under the kitchen sink and cry now. :(

Before you do the above, install the smoke detector. After all where there is lots of "hot air" there may be smoke. LOL

Hiram357
10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Before you do the above, install the smoke detector. After all where there is lots of "hot air" there may be smoke. LOL

geeze!! anybody else want to beat up on me today? why don't we just rename this thread to "let's all beat up on Aaron day because he tried to start a conversation" man, you guys are harsh, it's alright I know where I'm not wanted. :(

firefighterjake
10-21-2005, 06:48 AM
ahhh yes, I see you did make mention of that... I apologize, I browse through the insignificant posts so quickly I don't always catch everything:p

so since you've been there... what kinda good stuff do they have?
and an off the topic note... I have a smoke alarm that I believe originally belonged to you, I had to take it out of one of your caches because I couldn't get everything back in to save my life:rolleyes: would you like it back, or do you have any larger caches that might be able to accomodate it? (the thing has been riding in the back of my jeep for about 2 months, we haven't found any caches large enough for it)

Well I don't care Aaron . . . I still think you're OK in my book.

In answer to your first question . . . I'm not sure about the store in Newport. I have only been to their sister store in Brewer which is chock full of neat guy-like stuff. Of course, at the time I was on a mission to find ammo cans so I didn't browse much, but it appears to me that if you're into the outdoors and enjoy camping, paintball, shooting, etc. that this would be a good store to check out. I imagine the Newport store must be stocked with similar items.

In answer to your second question . . . how about installing it? Depending on which type of detector you picked up you either have the detector with a ten year battery (you don't need to change the battery and after ten years -- the life expectancy of most smoke detectors -- you throw it out) and a silencer button which means if you burn your toast or open the oven door while cooking and the detector goes off instead of yanking the battery out and then forgetting to put it back in for a night or two (or a week or two) you only need to hit the silencer and it will quiet the detector for five minutes (well, semi quiet it since it chirps about once every half a minute to let you know it has been silenced). This allows you to open the windows and clear out the smoke (and order up a pizza so your wife doesn't know you burned supper) and then the detector will automatically reset itself. In 15 years as a firefighter I've seen way too many fire deaths in homes where detectors were present but the batteries were pulled out . . . this can prevent this from happening.

The other detector I stocked in one of the caches combines two different types of detectors. In theory the manufacturer says this should result in fewer false alarms. However, the really cool feature is that for high cathedral ceilings you only need to take your TV remote, aim it at the detector and hit any button on the remote and it will silence the detector if there's a false alarm or you can test it in this fashion . . . or drive your wife nuts by constantly setting it off from the comfort of your La-z-boy.

In either case, feel free to keep it and use it. If you rent that shouldn't be a problem. There's no law about putting up your own detector and when you leave you can take it with you to your new home or apartment.

And a final message . . . it's that time of year again for us firefighters -- that time of year when we begin to see a steady increase in the number of house fires and since I like you guys please remember to . . .

-- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change the batteries when you change your clocks on the 30th

-- Talk about an escape plan with your family. If your children are young practice it and emphasize the fact that there needs to be two ways out and a meeting place where everyone goes. If your children are older, at least refresh their memories about the plan.

-- If you do have a fire don't go back inside for personal possessions, pets or people. That's our job. We have the equipment (air packs, turnout gear, thermal imaging cameras, etc.) that allows us to go inside to rescue people, pets and even personal possessions when possible.

-- Most fires are started while cooking. One simple rule: if you're frying something in the kitchen don't leave the kitchen. If you're in the kitchen and notice the hamburger beginning to smoke you can turn down the heat or if it catches on fire you can use a lid to extinguish the fire. If you're in the living room watching that Seinfeld episode that you've seen for the 32nd time you may not notice that you have a problem right away.

-- Many of us fully expect to see a lot of woodstove, wood pellet, space heater, etc. fires this year as many, many Mainers are looking at cheaper, alternative heating. If you heat with wood contact your local fire department to see if they offer a free inspection . . . for new installations or existing installations which may not have been used for a while. Make sure combustibles are not placed too close to heating units (woodstoves and space heaters). Keep checking your chimney when using a woodstove. If there is a build up of creosote get the chimney cleaned. Trust me on this . . . it's a lot easier to clean out a chimney at 2 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon than it is to have the fire department come out at 2 a.m. for a chimney fire in middle of a January blizzard. Finally, when disposing of the woodstove ash do not place them in plastic buckets, plastic bags, paper bags or cardboard boxes and then place them outside on your wooden deck or in the garage -- use a covered metal bucket and place it outside away from your home or garage.

-- On electrical fires . . . many of these can be prevented. Often you will see or smell some warning signs such as hot outlets, sparking outlets, charred outlets, burning rubber or plastic smells . . . if any of these sound familiar get an electrician to check things out ASAP.

-- Smokers. I'm not with the American Lung Association so I will not tell you to not smoke. Frankly, it's not my place and you probably wouldn't listen to me anyway. However, while fires caused by smoking materials is not in the top three causes of fire it is the leading cause of fire deaths. One simple rule: don't smoke if you're sleepy and sitting in an easy chair, sofa or bed.

-- Candle fires have more than tripled in the last decade. It's not that candles are suddenly more dangerous -- we're just using them a lot more. Same rule as cooking applies . . . if you leave the room make sure you extinguish the candle. It's really easy to forget that you lit a candle and let's face it, re-lighting a candle isn't that difficult.

OK, enough preaching . . . be safe and keep caching.

FFFarmer
10-21-2005, 07:49 AM
I won't even begin to quote FFJake............I just rechecked my notes of our meeting with the Fire Chief and I did not see the "on-line Fire Prevention program" listed. But it looks good!

Hiram357
10-21-2005, 05:03 PM
In answer to your second question . . . how about installing it?

wellllll.... the apartment I live in already has a smoke detector (and it's wired into a building alarm) and lets see, i have 3 sprinklers in my bedroom, 1 in my bedroom closet, one in my bathroom, 4 in the kitchen/living room, and one in the front closet. It's not the fire I have to worry about, it's the being able to swim out of my apartment in case there is a fire! :D

The smoke detector is a good cache idea to keep people aware. I'll keep my eyes open for a cache big & empty enough, unless anyone wants to speak up for it before it goes back out there....

WhereRWe?
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
and lets see, i have 3 sprinklers in my bedroom, 1 in my bedroom closet, one in my bathroom, 4 in the kitchen/living room, and one in the front closet.

Hmmm... That's 9 "sprinklers" - where are the other 3 cans from the 12-pack?

It's not the fire I have to worry about, it's the being able to swim out of my apartment in case there is a fire! :D

Sheesh! Use the "sprinklers" and crawl! LOL! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hiram357
10-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Hmmm... That's 9 "sprinklers" - where are the other 3 cans from the 12-pack?

Sheesh! Use the "sprinklers" and crawl! LOL! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Heh, these walls are just over 2" thick, this building used to be an old rug factory or somethin, the water won't have anywhere to go, so with all the sprinklers the place will fill up within seconds and i can just float out the windows. :D

firefighterjake
10-22-2005, 05:35 AM
I won't even begin to quote FFJake............I just rechecked my notes of our meeting with the Fire Chief and I did not see the "on-line Fire Prevention program" listed. But it looks good!

:) Darn it . . . you're right. I better delete most of that message.

mainesurveyor
10-22-2005, 09:55 AM
FFJake...thanks for the reminder on fire safety. I don't think about it much but I'm checking the smoke alarms now and taking the papers off the wood stove. Thanks again.

robt
10-22-2005, 11:21 AM
I have been getting them @ the army surplus store in south portland / scarborogh. Everytime I have gone down they have had a bunch of decent ammo cans for around $4.00 or $5.00 each. I have gone over to ammo cans cause they are only a dollar or to more than a decent plastic container.

Slate
10-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I have been getting them @ the army surplus store in south portland / scarborogh. Everytime I have gone down they have had a bunch of decent ammo cans for around $4.00 or $5.00 each. I have gone over to ammo cans cause they are only a dollar or to more than a decent plastic container.

Where is that store located?

robt
10-24-2005, 12:03 PM
It is across from wal-mart in the same shopping center as the sporting goods store and subway. I belive that would be either Payne Rd or Maine Mall Rd