View Full Version : B-25C Plane Crash Site

J_Cyr
10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
I went to the crash site today:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f53e5a34-aec3-4bbe-8456-578be3f9e6fc

In the snow, my Tundra made it no trouble. Took pictures too. What a great cache site!!

"Found today, wow! I drove my truck all the way there, besides the .17 miles I had to walk. Let me give you a little history first... we got a snowstorm Monday night.. and all the snow decided to stay here. My Tundra was a 4wd all the time and there was times I was literally plowing through the snow... no one had been this far since the storm, so I "crept" in places, thankfully I trust my Tundra (had no trouble!)

After I got close, I got out and walked, since there was alot of clouds I got a mix signal, however I did find the place and found the cache through all the snow! Thanks!! It was great. I was by myself, and weary what animal I might encounter, so I had my gun with me, when your along 10 miles deep in the Maine woods, it never hurts. However this place was really cool and the history of just being there was great and I felr respected being there veiwing the crash with no survivors. I did "fall through" some water that I couln't see because of all the snow and sunk in snow in some places. Seen alot of deer and mooose tracks, but didn't encounter anything unexpected, I seen some deer way beyond 300 yards, a fox but no bear, of any of that nature. If only I had come weeks ealier I would have known where I could step without falling in water lol. But I really enjoyed this location and look forward to doing the other ones in Maine as well... it has to be my Favorite cache, or atleast one of them, Thanks Kevin! Signing out --- probably the last one to do this cache this winter? Unless you do it on your sled with a shovel? :) I reccomend doing this cache in the summer or fall... to get there is one thing to get out is another! :"

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/49928aec-e8bd-451b-af83-6d762a8a62dd.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/7695af56-1f8a-4915-bef3-bbc7957d1a96.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/f6c58279-64cf-4df0-ad3b-644a2014aeb4.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/cd0cac34-8545-4110-b0ed-6162c268814f.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/a7c36040-df11-45b4-923b-01ca53aa55b9.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/162bb030-dda8-41dd-8f89-d85ac47cf2d2.jpg

Yeehawma
10-30-2005, 06:19 PM
J_Cyr
Love the pictures! Makes me remember why I live in Florida and vacation in Maine! Looks like I returned to Florida just in time. I didn't get a chance to do any of your caches this time :( Rain and in-laws put a damper on that! Maybe next year...

Cache Maine
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Is that a FIREFIGHTER antenna topper on your Tundra? :p

J_Cyr
10-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Sure is. Did you leave that in Augusta? :)

Saint367
10-30-2005, 08:24 PM
J.C.,

I made it on here. Glad you enjoyed my site. Can't believe you ventured out there with those road conditions alone.

J_Cyr
10-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey, its a Tundra... never let me down why should I be concerned? lol.
Saint367 is the owner of the cache.

blevesque
10-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Woo Hoo! Another County Hick! Better watch out, soon we'll out number you southern rednecks:p

Cache Maine
10-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Sure is. Did you leave that in Augusta? :)

No, wasn't me...but I surely need to find one for the Expy!

J_Cyr
10-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Oh, reason I asked is when I went to Augusta fo a car show, I stopped in to do a few geocaches and this was there. Whats Expy!?

Cache Maine
10-31-2005, 11:17 AM
That's my infamous white stallion (Ford Expedition) that I ride every day. She's a beauty! LOL And her antenna is "topless", so I was thinking a firefighter smiley guy would work good. Can I have yours? :D

firefighterjake
10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Nice truck there JCyr . . . I'm a Toyota man myself with my 4Runner . . . although I usually save that for towing duties, four wheeling when I need it to go geo-caching or drive through snow storms, etc. Normally, I use my 1990 Toyota Celica "beater car" which gets 33 mph.

P.S. I don't know about that antenna topper though man . . . must be a County thing. You didn't have those neon wipers back when they were all the rage too did you? Or those baby-on-board sides? Blacklights under the vehicle? :)

Hiram357
10-31-2005, 06:05 PM
I went up there about a month ago, there was so much question about that cache being gone i didn't even bother to look, i just wanted to see the plane (well what was left of it) I couldn't believe how nice the roads were getting up to it, on the way in i passed some old folks (that were on the way out) drivin a ford tarus. (I left the gun at home though, probably the only thing dangerous in the maine woods is a skunk, all the other larger animals are too afraid of humans to do anything, unless of course you happen to stumble right on top of thier nap or they have young around.) The site is very cool and highly reccomended by me (even if you don't look for the cache.

Sudonim
10-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Nice truck there JCyr . . . I'm a Toyota man myself with my 4Runner . . . although I usually save that for towing duties, four wheeling when I need it to go geo-caching or drive through snow storms, etc. Normally, I use my 1990 Toyota Celica "beater car" which gets 33 mph.

I bet if you REALLY push it, you could get up to 40 mph.:D

Mainiac1957
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
You are very quick today. Thanks for the laugh.:rolleyes:

Hiram357
10-31-2005, 06:20 PM

you forgot to add... that it would have to be going downhill with the wind at the back (giving it a bit more push) and that also it could probably go faster down hill if you would put it in nuetral. :p

J_Cyr
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
That's my infamous white stallion (Ford Expedition) that I ride every day. She's a beauty! LOL And her antenna is "topless", so I was thinking a firefighter smiley guy would work good. Can I have yours? :D

Hehe... should have got to the Augusta cache before I did then! :D

I have the FF Helmet on my Bus.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/231719.jpg

J_Cyr
10-31-2005, 07:06 PM

P.S. I don't know about that antenna topper though man . . . must be a County thing. You didn't have those neon wipers back when they were all the rage too did you? Or those baby-on-board sides? Blacklights under the vehicle? :)

Thanks, I am a big "foreign auto" man. Toyota and VW's are of course top of the list, but the Yoda is more to run, lol.

Neon wipers, no thanks, lol. I like the off-roading accessories. Next summer I plan to have a 3" lift kit, bed rails and tailight gaurds (chrome) I put the new tires and rims (take offs 2005 Sequoia 16") when I bought the truck this summer. Thanks for your comments.

firefighterjake
10-31-2005, 09:03 PM

Hmmm . . . it's amazing what a difference a single letter can make . . . OK, let's try this again . . . it gets 33 mpg . . . although sometimes it may seem like it's only getting up to 33 mph. :)

firefighterjake
10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks, I am a big "foreign auto" man. Toyota and VW's are of course top of the list, but the Yoda is more to run, lol.

No Yugos or Le Cars though, huh? :)

J_Cyr
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Nah... VW's and Toyota's are as good as they get... I would have taken my Bus to th cache... but...:D

d’76
10-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Hehe... should have got to the Augusta cache before I did then! :D

I have the FF Helmet on my Bus.

I think a 3 inch lift and lots of crome on this beast would be more practical. 31" tires and straight pipes would be perfect.:D

J_Cyr
10-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Ya... but then we would have the problem of not moving.... :D