View Full Version : Geocaching special on the travel channel

Smitty & Co.
11-06-2005, 08:23 PM
As I type this there is a special program on the travel channel all about Geocaching. For Adelphia subscribers this is channel 70.....check it out, I'm going to give it my full attention now, c-ya later.

Smitty & Co.
11-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Oops, sorry folks, its was only a 10 minute segment as part of a treasure hunting show, but it was interesting, hope others out there saw it also.

J_Cyr
11-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Missed it.

brdad
11-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Logging my DNF as I wasn't paying enough attention to watch it in time. This should have been rated higher difficulty due to the time constraint. Other than that, a great location in front of the TV. However, I do prefer more traditional caches. :D

Haffy
11-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Actually it was an old segment that been around for 2 or 3 years as I have seen it before. It was interesting but lasted only about 10 minutes if I remember correctly and it took place in either Washington or Oregon the home of geocaching.

Smitty & Co.
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes, it must have been a few years old. It stated that there were geocaches in 66 countries and we all know that this is a fast growing sport and we now have caches in over 200 countries. The show was about treasure hunting and the top ten greatest treasures in the USA and a Geocache in Oregon was listed as # 6 or 7 I wish I could remember what the name of the actual cache was but I don't. I'm guessing that it was the first cache ever placed. Anyone know which one that was?

Smitty & Co.
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Found the answer to my own question on gc.com...sorta.

Geocaching - A Brief (!) History

When the GPS signal degradation called Select Availabilty (SA) was removed by the Clinton Administration May 1st, 2000 (statement (http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/statement.html)), it opened up the possibility of games like this one.

On May 3rd, a container of goodies was hidden by a someone outside of Portland, Oregon - in celebration of the removing of Selective Availability. By May 6th the cache was visited twice, and logged in the logbook once.
Mike Teague was the first to find the container, and built his personal web page to document these containers and their locations that were posted to the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup. In July of 2000, Jeremy Irish found Mike Teague's web site and found his first cache outside of Seattle, Washington. Recognizing the potential of the game (but never expected the growth), Jeremy approached Mike Teague with a new site design, used the name Geocaching, and developed a new web site adding virtual logs, maps, and a way to make it easier to maintain caches as the sport grew. The site was alive for a while, but the official torch was passed to Jeremy on September 6.

But, I still don't know if this particular cache is active. I'll research this some more just for funnsies, LOL

Slate
11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Yes, it must have been a few years old. It stated that there were geocaches in 66 countries and we all know that this is a fast growing sport and we now have caches in over 200 countries. The show was about treasure hunting and the top ten greatest treasures in the USA and a Geocache in Oregon was listed as # 6 or 7 I wish I could remember what the name of the actual cache was but I don't. I'm guessing that it was the first cache ever placed. Anyone know which one that was?

Just do a search by typing in low waypoint numbers on the Geocaching site. With a little trial and error you can probably find it. It looks like the oldest cache listed is GC4. The oldest active cache in Oregon is GC12.

Smitty & Co.
11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Just do a search by typing in low waypoint numbers on the Geocaching site. With a little trial and error you can probably find it. It looks like the oldest cache listed is GC4. The oldest active cache in Oregon is GC12.

Yes you are right!! The oldest cache is GC4 called Mike's First but is now archived and the Oldest active cache is GC12 5/12/2000