View Full Version : Out of staters placing caches

attroll
07-09-2004, 11:15 PM
I was wondering how some of you felt about out of staters placing caches here in Maine? From what I have see of caches. It is hard enought for some of the Mainers to take care of there caches so how can we expect out of staters to take care of them when they get looted or need some tender loving care?

WhereRWe?
07-10-2004, 08:00 AM
I agree. I especially find micorcaches - with just a couple of pages of notepaper that will be filled in a month or so - especially annoying. I adopted a local cache
that was about to be denied because the owner clearly stated in the cache description that he placed it while on vacation. It was a nice spot and worthy of a cache site.

We have enough trouble with caches placed by LOCAL people that do not get the maintenance they should be getting. How many of us have found caches with repeated log entries saying "wet", "log full", etc? :confused:

Tink
07-10-2004, 11:02 AM
My bigest peeve is having a yukky find.....when the contents are wet and slimmy I would rather not log an on site entry.... :eek:

Ye Olde Prospector
07-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't really have an issue with people from out of state placing caches in Maine, as long as they maintain them properly and in a timely manner. Or make arrangements with a local cacher to assist with maintaining it. I know of some out of state cachers who maintain their caches in Maine better than some of the local cachers. Bottom line is if you are not able or willing to maintain a cache just don't place it, regardless of where you are from.

brdad
07-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Simply not letting out of staters place caches will not help - for one, it can't be enforced the way gc.com works now.

A person could have a cache next door and if he doesn't maintain it, he might as well live 1000 miles away.

But it only stands to reason the further you live away from a cache the less likely it will be maintained.

And I even hate the idea of having someone else care for it. If they are doing the work, it should be their cache.

And ya, I hate slimy caches too!

Geomaineiacs
07-12-2004, 09:44 PM
I guess I don't understand why someone would want to place a cache far from home and depend on someone else to maintain it. If a local person really wants to take care of it, then they should own it. I like going out of state (or the country) to find a cache placed and maintained by a local, sort of a gift from them to an outsider, just as it is especially fun to see a visitor from outside of Maine find my cache. :)

parmachenee
07-18-2004, 01:00 PM
I don't have issues with this because I have caches in Ontario, Canada which I had to jump through hoops to get but they are in great spots and I've had many nice comments about them. I took care of the maintenance issue by showing my daughter, who lives in Niagara-on-the-Lake, 10 minutes away, and Rochester, one hour away, where they were so she could maintain them when I'm not there. We visit the area often and check them out but it is a long-distance relationship.

jombbl
06-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Our vote was "Only if they can come in state on short notice or have someone in Maine maintain it" because it is not unreasonable for someone just across the state line in New Hampshire, or a-way over in northeast Vermont, or a-way down in northeast Massachusetts, etc, to include Maine in their active caching area. It's not necessarily a state boundary or even the distance that matters, as long as the cache location is within the cachers active area, and they maintain the cache appropriately. We live near Chattanooga, Tennessee, and own a cache in Alabama, that is a couple hours drive away, but it is on a route that we drive regularly to/from Birmingham AL, so being able to maintain the cache is not an issue.

We also have found caches that are directly within an owner's caching area that have not been maintained... some unremarkable, and some like this very neat cache location... CITY OF GRANITE (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8dc7cfb5-994a-4d51-b250-f136eacfd327) in North Carolina.

About placing a 'vacation cache' far away from home and having it maintained by some other cacher... uh, why? If another cacher in that locale has to maintain it, they should own it. We did actually place a cache in Maine, on our visit to Bar Harbor several months ago, but good ol' roamin' Roamer (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=01ad2304-7b92-445e-b882-4ca6cda49b23) did not hang around (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=512d7e02-3e2e-4458-9ed2-d1547adfb99a) the Pine Tree State for long (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=74ffd729-0e0a-4a51-910f-2efde2012489). ;)

We found a lot of fun caches on our trip to Maine, and hope we provided a little fun for the cache owners by logging caches as 'visitors from afar'.:) We are looking forward to planning another caching trip to Maine and the northeast and we enjoy the geocachingmaine community.:) Thanks!

Sabby
06-27-2005, 12:22 PM
I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

I think that the Geocaching listing requirements cover this. Here is a quote from their page.

Placing Caches on Vacation / Beyond Your Maintainable Distance

Placing caches on vacation or outside of your normal caching area is unacceptable and these caches may not be listed. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. It is not uncommon for areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for virtual or multi-caches to be moved or removed, etc. You must be able to react to negative cache logs and investigate the location quickly. Please be responsible. This guideline applies to all types of caches including virtual caches.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache listed if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe these on your cache page or in a note to the reviewer. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

I think that the person placing the cache has an obligation to maintain it or provide for someone to maintain it.

If you find a cache that is not being maintained then post a recommendation that it be archived. Once that is done then a new cache can be placed there.

Geochicks
06-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I know I shouldn't say it... but sometimes someone can get really busy and have very intention of fixing a "slimey" cache, but things just keep coming up and can't be done.

My husband is the owner of a "slimey" cache right now. He just can't seem to find the time to go out and fix it. I finally told him he needs to go out there by the end of June (I gave July 1) to fix it or the "chicks" will adopt it. :mad:

Haffy
06-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey Jen,you're marrried to the guy aren't yah. If he can't mainain it then maybe you ought to just go out there and replace the measley little log,what's the big deal anyway? :D

tat
06-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Consider this point of view:

Instead of making restrictive rules and adding more buracracy, why not take stock of what you do not prefer and try to avoid it. Most people already know that they either love or hate puzzles. Almost any thing you can think of is mentioned in the logs or the description. If you don't like out-a-stata's, don't go to them. Micros not your spot of tea, don't do them. Wet logs might be a little harder, but if you happen to be the first one to notice a wet log, then why not give the guy a break. First time hider with no finds, why not wait and see how it goes.

The only rule we really need is honesty and good cache logs!

Mainiac1957
06-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Give it a chance, don't bust chops, let the newbies have a chance to improve with some constructive criticism and guidence from some of the more ah seasoned cachers. You are also right in pointing out that we do not have to hunt for any caches that we don't choose to. Unless it's a new cache and we have to be FTF. Right Haffy :D I will try and look at things in a little different and patient light from now on. Thanks for the fresh perspective.

Sinster
06-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I don't know where I stand on this. I'm from Maine and wouldn't mind placing a cache around where I grew up. I go back home at least once or twice a month, a few family members or friends would take care of it if I couldn't. I think it just depends on the situation and if you could really up keep the cache.

Haffy
06-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I agree whole heartedly with everything that TAT and Mainiac1957 have to say and would like to add a couple of more points. I have noticed a lot of caches recently that have been put out by so-called newbies who have only a couple of finds or none at all under there belts. I think we ,as more seasoned cachers, should be sure to give them any constructive critisizim that we have and encourage them to try and follow all the correct guidelines to ensure that others doing the same things can make the hide and hunt as much fun as possible.I have been to a few caches that have been placed by newbies that have been much better and more accurate than some of the more seasoned cachers have placed. Just my 2 cents.

Birkenstalkers
07-18-2005, 10:25 PM
;) Just the thread we were looking for!!!

We would agree with Sabby; placing a cache that you cannot maintain should not be done.

We currently are pursuing a goal to place a physical cache (and do understand that a virtual cache would be maintainable via the net - we would like to do the physical route but virtual will be our backup) in all 50 states. We travel regularly so getting to all 50 states is possible. What we are hoping to find is someone in Southern Maine that would be willing to adopt a cache there.

We will be attending a conference in Boston the first week in August and would like to place the cache then. Prior coordination is a must, as the goal is to make sure the cache meets all normal standards, including guidance/input from the adopting GeoCacher. So far we have someone in MA, RI, and CT that have agreed to adopt. Right now we are working with them on coordinating locations and advice on what type of cache works best for the location that they agree to adopt in.

Please let us know if you are interested. We can be contacted directly thru george.blalack@us.army.mil

Cache'n Jacksons
07-19-2005, 07:18 AM
We've got a cache in NH and one in Southern ME, and have been talking about locations for a new one. We have ammo boxes ready to go. There's also a nearby cache that we should adopt (I need to get off my duff and contact the owner). I'd be happy to consider adopting/maintaining one of your caches, depending on the location. I'll drop you an email! :)