View Full Version : Finding an archived cache

Haffy
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Spent this past weekend with Maniac1957 and Dave1976 and Girlmate caching up around the Katahdin area and the Golden road and vacinity. While caching I found "The Warden's Outhouse cache" and signed the log book no less. When I arrived home to log the caches I find that it had been archived back in July and had not been removed. Had I known that it was archived I would have removed it and notified the owner. My question is I tried to log the cache even though it was there but couldnt because of it being archived. Is there a way to log an archived cache? I did email the owner about it but havent heard back form them as of yet. If there is anyone that is planning on going to that area and wants to remove it ,I say go ahead. Anyone else ever have this type of problem crop up before? The cache # is GCKNHR if you're interested.

parmachenee
11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
My question is I tried to log the cache even though it was there but couldnt because of it being archived. Is there a way to log an archived cache?

Go to my profile on geocaching.com and bring it up under my found caches. I think you will be able to log it.

The G Team
11-14-2005, 06:23 PM
We did "Jimmy's Puddle", down Litchfield way, only to find out it had been archived. It, too, is still there (as far as I know) and should be removed.

Haffy
11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Go to my profile on geocaching.com and bring it up under my found caches. I think you will be able to log it.

Frank would you explain that to me a little better please ,I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

WhereRWe?
11-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Sheesh! I'm glad someone besides me is concerned about the numbers! LOL!

:p :p :p

parmachenee
11-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Frank would you explain that to me a little better please ,I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Log on to geocaching.com. Then.....You can do this with anyone who has found The Warden's Outhouse. Find a cache they have done. Click on their name to view their profile. View their stats and find the cache listed in the appropriate area...in this case...Traditional caches. Find the cache and click on it. You should then be able to log it.

Mainiac1957
11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I looked at that and when you click on logs it comes up saying that the cache no longer is accepting new logs. You might be out of luck on this one.

Haffy
11-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Yeah you are right Brad, I tried it and no luck,oh well,at least I signed the log....lol:D

parmachenee
11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Go to the profile of the person who placed the cache and do the stats thing and then click on caches they have hidden. This worked for someone trying to log my old Tidal Falls Hideaway...now that I think about it, it was the ONLY way they could get to it.

Haffy
11-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Just tried that too Frank and that didn't work either,oh well,thanks anyway.:(

parmachenee
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
You're right...it doesn't work. Something has changed that doesn't allow logging a cache after archival.

Smitty & Co.
11-14-2005, 09:10 PM
:confused: We found a micro at the Plymouth Pond Cache (GCGM6F) after it had been archived and I logged it fine from the archived web page. As far as I know the micro is still there but the cache is no longer listed. I counted it as a find just the same.;)

d’76
11-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Haffy,

That must be a new feature at GC because I logged osola park after it had been archived and I think Brdad logged Resident rock star after it was archived

attroll
11-15-2005, 12:51 AM
You should have sorted out the archived ones before loading them into you PDA. That is what I do.

brdad
11-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Hey Haffy,

That must be a new feature at GC because I logged osola park after it had been archived and I think Brdad logged Resident rock star after it was archived

Actually, Resident Rock Star was just temporarily disabled, not Archived.

I'm guessing if they blocked archived caches from being logged, it's because some of the number hounds were looking up archived caches whose owners were AWOL and logging them as finds. Lame, eh?

Too bad really, finding and logging a cache after it's been archived, especially if no one has found it for a while is cool.

Slate
11-15-2005, 11:29 AM
It seems that some archived caches are locked and others aren't. I tried to post a long on another archived cache and didn't have any trouble. The cache I tried to log is: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c5417eed-576e-40f7-b7d8-cd55c94deed3

Team Nirvana
11-15-2005, 07:50 PM
That would be my archived cache that got tested. I got the ususal email with this message: .... I just now checked the page, there is no evidence of a recent log. I am curious to see if 'Slate' had another cache added to his number of finds. If so, I think I will become a arm-chair cacher and pump the number of finds up so it looks like I am a very busy cacher. (look out Brdad and EGSG!) LOL.

WhereRWe?
11-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, looks like I just logged it:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c5417eed-576e-40f7-b7d8-cd55c94deed3

:D :D :D

WhereRWe?
11-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Sheesh! Maybe I can even do the "Nashville log" and log it more than once!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Haffy
11-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Hmmm that is weird,see if you can log "The Warden's Outhouse Cache" GCKNHR cause I couldn't log it even when finding it...lol

Slate
11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
That would be my archived cache that got tested. I got the ususal email with this message: .... I just now checked the page, there is no evidence of a recent log. I am curious to see if 'Slate' had another cache added to his number of finds. If so, I think I will become a arm-chair cacher and pump the number of finds up so it looks like I am a very busy cacher. (look out Brdad and EGSG!) LOL.

I hope you don't mind I used your archived cache as a test. I just picked an archived cache at random. I posted "..." as my log note, and then deleted it once I saw it worked, so my find count wasn't messed up.

WhereRWe?
11-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Hmmm that is weird,see if you can log "The Warden's Outhouse Cache" GCKNHR cause I couldn't log it even when finding it...lol

Aha! It says "The listing has been locked and is not accepting new log entries."
I assume thast this is a different category than just being archived.

I'd email GPSFUN and ask him about it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Team Nirvana
11-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm Ok with the web page being the crash test dummy. (Somehow - I come by this naturally) I got another email fron RULOST2 (copy below)

This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

WhereRWe? & RULOST2? found Dreamcatcher (Archived) (Traditional Cache) at
11/15/2005

Log Date: 11/15/2005
Well, I'll test the "log the archived cache" idea too. We didn't find this
cache, and if it shows up as a "logged", I'll delete it. :)

What I would like to know if it counts a a find on the cacher list. The actual catch page does not show any changes.

Slate
11-17-2005, 09:18 AM
What I would like to know if it counts a a find on the cacher list. The actual catch page does not show any changes.

My find cound did go up by one when I looged the cache and it went back to where it should be when I deleted my log.

WhereRWe?
11-17-2005, 09:39 AM
My find cound did go up by one when I looged the cache and it went back to where it should be when I deleted my log.

Same with me. The log entry showed up on the cache page, and my count went up by one. Nirvana, you probably didn't see an entry because I'd already deleted it.

(The numbers ARE important, but we don't need to cheat! LOL!) :D :D

Team Nirvana
11-18-2005, 09:00 AM
I now have something to do during the next snowstorm when I"m stuck inside. Think of the possibilities.

A record number of finds in one day. I could even create another account and simply find nothing but archeved caches!

Geocaching for couch potatoes. It is all about numbers! Hooray!