View Full Version : Colby College

Gump & Gumpette
11-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Colby College is going to have a "Geocaching" lecture Dec. 1st, at 4pm. I found this by accident while looking for information on the Carol and lights performance. Does anyone know anything about this? It is being presented by Margot Kelley. Gumpette

WhereRWe?
11-26-2005, 06:08 PM
What is her (I assume it's a she) qualification for being a lecturer on geocaching?

Five month's experience?

(Yeah, I know - I'm being a curmudgeon today...)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smitty & Co.
11-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I think Gumpette means Margot Kelley is going to be the speaker.
Here's what I found.........

http://www.bu.edu/prc/landmark/kelley.htm

Smitty & Co.
11-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Margot Kelley's geocacher name is photogo, she is the owner of the Minnie Weeeee cache GCQW39 in Unity. :)

Pooh and friends
11-26-2005, 09:52 PM
What is her (I assume it's a she) qualification for being a lecturer on geocaching?

Five month's experience?

She did write a book on it http://www.margotannekelley.com/localtreasures_thebook.htm

Kelley has a diverse background that includes a Ph.D. in American Literature from Indiana University and a MFA in photography from Massachusetts College of Art. She currently teaches literature at Bentley College. As a part of the Nature & Inquiry artist group related to MassArt’s SIM (Studio for Interrelated Media) program, she collaborated on the award-winning artwork “Invisible Ideas,” a GPS-enabled Artwalk through the Boston Public Gardens and Common for the Copley Society of Art held during the 2003 Boston Cyberarts Festival.

Profile at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=5e1bee90-3f0b-43ea-adb4-f55a0cba2cfa

I'd call her qualified enough IMHO:p

WhereRWe?
11-27-2005, 08:18 AM
She did write a book on it http://www.margotannekelley.com/localtreasures_thebook.htm

Well, I knew when I commented that I was probably better off not saying anything, but it had been SOOOOO quiet in here lately that I thought it might generate a few comments. LOL!

My apologies to Ms. Kelley.

:o :o :o

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
11-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Kelley has a diverse background that includes a Ph.D. in American Literature from Indiana University and a MFA in photography from Massachusetts College of Art. She currently teaches literature at Bentley College. As a part of the Nature & Inquiry artist group related to MassArt’s SIM (Studio for Interrelated Media) program, she collaborated on the award-winning artwork “Invisible Ideas,” a GPS-enabled Artwalk through the Boston Public Gardens and Common for the Copley Society of Art held during the 2003 Boston Cyberarts Festival.

Profile at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=5e1bee90-3f0b-43ea-adb4-f55a0cba2cfa

No question that the author is a very smart lady and she obviously likes to geocache but she is speaking from her perspective and not everyones. How could she? We all take away something different from the geocaching experience. I've not heard of her or any of her lectures and from the book description and the excerpt I've read, she doesn't claim to be an authority on geocaching rather she write and addresses geocaching as what it means to her. We are all qualified to approach geocaching in a similar manner.

If you mean she's quailified to have an opinion, I agree with you whole heartedly. Would I read her book, most likely. Do I think her credentials make her an authority on geocaching, nope. I bet if we could ask her if she feels she's an expert on geocaching that she would say no (at least I hope she would).

Listen to everyone but use only what is meaningful. Don't be dazzled by the bells and whistles, listen to what she is saying then tell us if she is "qualified enough".

Happy Caching!!!!!!!

robt
11-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Hmm, Going to this will definatly not be high on my list of priorities, kinda looks like another person that is trying to cash in on the Geocaching Name. I looked at her profile and it appears that she has done some caching but If I wanted to learn more I would or have a real meaningful lecture there are many others I would call first. We have far more experienced cachers at most of our events and as for actually learning more about it I would much rather spend a day caching with TAT or YOP or any number of other cachers that have had far more experiance, besides, it would be a whole lot more educational and interesting that listen to a lecture. :)

Now before anyone gets mad cause I did not use their name you can pretty much insert the name of most of the more experenced cachers name, the 2 were just the first 2 that came to my mind and I did not feeling like typing in 1/2 of the cachers on this site and many more from the Geocaching website :)

Pooh and friends
11-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, I knew when I commented that I was probably better off not saying anything

:rolleyes:ditto:rolleyes:

Beach Comber
11-27-2005, 06:52 PM
This might be interesting - though it is her perspective, we all know that geocaching takes us to interesting places that we would likely not have seen otherwise - I always like to hear what others have experienced along their journeys. I believe that Noreasta has a cache that will be featured in this book. I know that he was contacted by an author - I think it was her.

WhereRWe?
11-27-2005, 07:02 PM
:rolleyes:ditto:rolleyes:

But I still don't see where this person is an "expert" that would be lecturing at a college...

Team2hunt
11-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Want an experience. Go out and find a cache. There are a couple nearby that would be better than a lecture. :rolleyes: All that promotes is napping. :)

Hiram357
11-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Want an experience. Go out and find a cache. There are a couple nearby that would be better than a lecture. :rolleyes: All that promotes is napping. :)

haha I totally agree, there are some nice ones around there, like "Perkins Sanctuary" and "Teepee Cache"

Smitty & Co.
11-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Don't forget the North Street Playground cache and the Oxbow Nature Trail. ;) :D ;)

d’76
11-28-2005, 07:06 PM
I would like to think that if I was asked to do a lecture on Geocaching and excepted that this is the not the type of publicity that I would get. She is just another fellow cacher talking about caching, we have all done it. I see no where in her bio that was posted by Smitty and Co. that she was a proclaimed expert. Sounds to me like she just likes doing what makes her happy. I further more think that if Colby thinks she is qualified than why and who are we to decided that she is not. I would also like to think that her lecture is not going to be Why not to seek treasure in the woods but more so of a way to seek treasure in the woods.

If she doesn't do a good job than people won't cache if she does a good job than maybe we will add a few more members.

And who is to say that she is not already a GCmaine.org member. I know that I would not feel real great about reading this stuff in a thread if it was me that was being discussed.

Just my thoughts,

Dave

PS OBTW One of her caches yes was on Private Property Opps Some of us have made that mistake and the other two where art exhibits that have since moved on. It's a shame that we bust some ones balls without knowing the whole story.

Sabby
11-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I think Dave 1976 might have something. I have not done a lot of research on her but if I was in Maine then I think I would go to the lecture to see what she had to say before commenting.

How about a few of the cachers in the Waterville area going to the lecture and posting their findings after they hear what she has to say??

Haffy
11-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have any more info about her lecture? Where and the time would be nice.:confused:

WhereRWe?
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
It's a shame that we bust some ones balls without knowing the whole story.

We bust their balls in hopes that we GET the whole story! LOL!

(Shoot first, ask questions later...) LOL!

I'm always suspect of self-styled "experts". Like the person who, having never found a cache, places a cache of their own. If you're going to play the game, you should know what you're doing, IMHO.

:p :p

Haffy
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok I just went to the Colby site and found out this info
http://www.colby.edu/news_events/calendar/eventview.cfm?rID=35870&bID=367710

tat
11-28-2005, 07:35 PM
I learned more for the enthusiastic professors than the "experts!" The experts were way over my head. :)

If she's funny, I'd have a good time.

Oh, and you can't teach me anyway. I'm too thick!!

Gump & Gumpette
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
She will be speaking Dec. 1st at 4pm @ Miller Library/014.
Gumpette

WhereRWe?
11-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Does anyone have any more info about her lecture? Where and the time would be nice.:confused:

Colby College, Dec 1, 4 PM. LOL! :p

Beach Comber
11-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Here is the link to the presentation ........
http://www.colby.edu/news_events/calendar/eventview.cfm?rID=35870&bID=367710

And here is the link to her bio and other information about the presentation........
http://www.bu.edu/prc/landmark/kelley.htm

Smitty posted the link to her bio earlier. I think if one would take a moment to read it, they would easily see that she does not proclaim herself to be an "expert" in any way. In fact, she is merely sharing her experiences and enjoyment of geocaching - providing people with an opportunity to see the same type of beauty that each of us consistently talks about when we tell our stories. Does the idea that it will be in print make it any different? Or that she wants to share her experiences with others and has the opportunity to do so at a college campus?

I'm not sure why there is such criticism about this - it seems to me that it is an opportunity to visit some wonderful places through the eyes of a fellow cacher. Just another venue to do so - it could just as easily have been an article in the GC magazine, a post on a thread, a story at an event, or other means. Whatever the path, I greatly enjoy hearing tales from others or learning about how their experiences have made them happy.

I wish I could go! Guess I will just have to buy the book :D

photogo
11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
hi all-- I'm glad (mostly?!) for the comments about the talk on Thursday. If folks are able to come, that'd be great. I would love to meet other people who care about caching. Some of the talk will certainly be old hat to all of you, though, since you know the history of the game and how to cache and such. About the whole expert thing--no more and no less than anyone else who really loves to do this. Compared to lots of cachers, i have few hides and finds. I haven't even hit the 200 mark. What *might* be interesting to people (i really hope it is, or those Colby people are going to be disappointed that they invited me) is that i am going to talk about is how geocaching has managed to create a unique and really important form of community that i find inspiring.

Plus i'll have some beautiful pictures from a few cache sites.

ps: I'm five months a year in maine, seven in massachusetts. Wish it were the other way around....
:)

Hiram357
11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
I further more think that if Colby thinks she is qualified than why and who are we to decided that she is not.

uhhhh..... because we have nothing better to do other than sit in front of our computers pretending to be over zealous social elitists who think their morals and ideals are better than those of the rest of the world.... hey we all have our hobbies. :D

attroll
11-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Man you guys are really getting down on her. She is not claiming to be an expert. Heck just because you know how to geocache do you all think you are experts now?

As I see it she is just giving a beginner class for those that may be interested. If you all think she could benefit and her her out then go to the lecture and help.

Mainiac1957
11-29-2005, 07:52 AM
I've been wanting to say something on this thread, but have kept my mouth shut. I've been caching for awhile too and I KNOW I'm no expert. I feel like some are trying to scare the woman into not giving her talk by making her feel she's not experienced enough. We were all beginners when we started. I think it's great to show some new people about the hobby we enjoy. As we are well aware, cachers come and cachers go. Only a relative few stick it out for the long term. So getting new people involved is going to keep new caches being placed. And yes new hides by new cachers is a whole other subject I'll not get back into now. This is like high school for goodness sake. We have the same cliques. Jocks and cheerleaders on one side and nerds and science club on the other. Anyone new is immediately looked at with suspicion. As has also been said, It's real easy to judge and ridicule sitting behind a keyboard. If this offended some people, well good it was meant too. Sorry, get over it

WhereRWe?
11-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Well, I guess I accomplished my goal of creating some discussion in this otherwise SLOW forum!

LOL!

:p :p :p

Haffy
11-29-2005, 08:48 AM
And while we are at it,I was the one who asked her to come to our forum and defend herself. I thought she at least deserved that much from all the bashing she was taking behind her back. I doubt that she will be a regular contributor to this site though, I know if it was me I surely wouldn't be. And I think some people in here should be ashamed of their immaturity.

WhereRWe?
11-29-2005, 09:05 AM
And I think some people in here should be ashamed of their immaturity.

Ooooh! Getting nasty...

What ever happened to FREE SPEECH? Disagree if you like, debate the subject if you can, but I think the name callers are the immature ones... ;) ;) ;)

(Sheesh! Can you imagine what the comments would be like if I dared to discuss politics! LOL!)

Haffy
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Nasty? not in the least,I just think people should be able to defend themselves that's all. Maybe an email to the person and asking them what their credentials were first before making conclusions that's all. If that's immaturity then so be it.

WhereRWe?
11-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Nasty? not in the least,I just think people should be able to defend themselves that's all. Maybe an email to the person and asking them what their credentials were first before making conclusions that's all. If that's immaturity then so be it.

Since this thread has progressed to the name-calling stage, I won't continue it past this, but I believe my original statement was:

"What is her (I assume it's a she) qualification for being a lecturer on geocaching?".

My question was answered in a couple of the subsequent posts, and my SECOND comment stated "My apologies to Ms. Kelley".

What is YOUR problem??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Beach Comber
11-29-2005, 11:51 AM

:eek: Obviously, you have never attended one of MY lectures.

:p Ask my husband, he never falls asleep when I am lecturing - hehehehehe

parmachenee
11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, I guess I accomplished my goal of creating some discussion in this otherwise SLOW forum!

LOL!

:p :p :p

Hey Bruce...I hear Howie Carr is looking for someone to fill in when he's away.:D

Smitty & Co.
11-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey Bruce...I hear Howie Carr is looking for someone to fill in when he's away.:D

Must be an online application here somewhere......lol

http://www.howiecarr.com/

Haffy
12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Well, I just got back from attending the lecture at Colby by Margo Kelly and found it to be very enlightening. I did feel out of my element though,sitting amongst the intellect of the college age kids and a few other professors and such.:) She gave her own perspective what geocaching has meant to her and passed out some photographs that were included in her book where she gives her own insight to the places that she geocached. A very good speaker and from talking with her after the lecture she said I made her feel a little more comfortable. I was only one of 2 other cachers that was in attendance and the other couple were newbies. All in all a very interesting talk and she kept my interest throughout. Not the geocaching (expert) by any means but a very well informed and educated person non the less, and her photography was superb ,which was the main reason I wanted to meet her. Sorry no one else was able to attend. I would definately want to include her book in my library of geocaching related articles.

Team2hunt
12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
:eek: Obviously, you have never attended one of MY lectures.

I may stand up in front of a group of people, but I try NEVER to lecture. ( yawn ) :p :) :D lol, and hehehehehe

Hiram357
12-01-2005, 09:00 PM
This post is starting to calm down too much... can we pick it up a bit by picking on short people? or make fun of micro cachers or something?

d’76
12-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Lets pick on instigators or negitive people

noreasta
12-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Yes , i ordered the book weeks ago so that i may get a copy when released, and yes, I have one of my lovley caches in the book,( Belfast by the BAY) so maybe you all should get a copy... GO to amazon NOW!!! and to think i have not a vested interest in the proceeds.. :D

Haffy
12-01-2005, 11:07 PM
And yes after the lecture she did mention you Steve and I saw the photo that she is putting in the book, almost as good as my photo of the railroad tracks that I took....:D

photogo
12-02-2005, 10:54 AM
thanks so much to Haffy and the other geocachers who came to the talk. As he said, it was a treat for me to have people who actually geocache there. Also, afterwards, we had a chance to talk. And then the school had a reception and i talked about caching some more with a young couple who has just moved to maine and are now psyched to buy a GPS and get started. the more the merrier!! :)

firefighterjake
12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
. . . And then the school had a reception and i talked about caching some more with a young couple who has just moved to maine and are now psyched to buy a GPS and get started. the more the merrier!! :)

And isn't this is what it's all about . . . getting folks into this hobby by introducing them to the hidden world around them . . . and personally it doesn't matter to me if a person is introduced to geocaching by a GC vet or a newbie . . . what matters is that people are introduced to this wholesome activity.

Hiram357
12-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Lets pick on instigators or negitive people

where do we find them at??? do they have to volunteer for it?? :D