View Full Version : USB to Serial (DB9) Cable

Pooh and friends
11-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Has anyone had any experience using these with a Magellan. I am wondering if I need to use Magellans adapter or can I pick one up from Best Buy thats a quarter of the cost. I know, I know, I should have got a Garmin:rolleyes:

Smitty & Co.
11-26-2005, 09:53 PM
I should have got a Garmin:rolleyes:

:D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

Haffy
11-26-2005, 11:35 PM
You might want to try here: http://search.ebay.com/USB-to-serial-cable_W0QQfromZR40

robt
11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Has anyone had any experience using these with a Magellan. I am wondering if I need to use Magellans adapter or can I pick one up from Best Buy thats a quarter of the cost. I know, I know, I should have got a Garmin:rolleyes:

I use one of the generic adapters on mine all the time and it works good for me. I bought mine on ebay and just searched for one that said it was GPS Compatable. Not sure if that matters or not??????? I needed it cause my laptop does not have a serial port. if you are down south let me know and I can let you test this one and see how it works. the only problem that I have had is that the port # will change from time to time messing me up.

robt

The G Team
11-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I use one--don't recall where I got it--I would think most any (read "cheapest one you can find") would be fine. Most GPSrs older than a year or two, regardless of brand, have serial interfaces.

Hiram357
11-27-2005, 09:01 PM
I bought one for my GPS72 and have had nothing but problems with it. It is made by Belkin and I got it from staples. In my professional opinion... It sucks. But if you do get one that you have good success with, lemme know. :D

The G Team
11-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Mine's a Belkin F5U003 and works great--as with anything computer related, YMMV!

WhereRWe?
11-28-2005, 08:09 AM
I bought one for my GPS72 and have had nothing but problems with it. It is made by Belkin and I got it from staples. In my professional opinion... It sucks. But if you do get one that you have good success with, lemme know. :D

The Garmin GPSr's require a serial/USB interface cable that is certified for
Garmin. I know I had a lot of trouble until I got the right cable. There was a big thread on this in here somewhere, and listed a source for a GOOD Garmin cable.

I have not heard that the same problem exists with Magellan, though, so a generic cable should work.

:) :)

tat
11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
You may have either a software or a hardware problem. I use USB/serial adapters at work quite often. They usually work with Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000. I have had a lot of problems using XP Home and Windows 98.

You may also have an older USB cable, I've had more sucess using USB 2.0 cables.

In any event, you should always look in Device Manager to see which com port the cable is attached to and that is functioning. Highlight My Computer, right click, pick Properites. Then, a dialog box will appear. Pick the Hardware tab and pick Device Manager. Expand Ports (com and lpt). Your cable should be listed here. If it is yellow, or if it is listed as an unknown device, it is not loaded correctly. If it is functioning properly, you may be asking the gps software to use the wrong com port. Most older software defaults to com1 and some newer software will scan your ports. In either case, the software needs to have the port with the usb cable.

Hiram357
11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
The Garmin GPSr's require a serial/USB interface cable that is certified for
Garmin. I know I had a lot of trouble until I got the right cable. There was a big thread on this in here somewhere, and listed a source for a GOOD Garmin cable.

I have not heard that the same problem exists with Magellan, though, so a generic cable should work.

:) :)

does garmin make their own adapters or is there a good brand i should look for?

Haffy
11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
If you go to our links section and click on the Geocaching Software thread you will find the info you need there.

WhereRWe?
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
does garmin make their own adapters or is there a good brand i should look for?

If you need a Garmin Serial/USB cable, I've got one that I can sell you at a reasonable price. I bought it to connect my laptop to my eTrex Legend, but now have the GPSMap 60c, which has USB.

Email me if you're interested. :D :D :D