View Full Version : What is you favorite type of cache?

attroll
06-20-2004, 11:14 PM
What is your favorite type of cach you like doing?

brdad
06-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Incedently, there are 10 curent registered cache types: Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Letterbox, Event, Webcam, Unknown, Locationless, Project Ape, and CITO Event.

I really enjoy multis, but I like variety even better, so I am voting "All 3", since it is closest to "All Types", which I would have voted for had it been an option.

It's great that there is such opportunity for caches of varying styles and types, and that's what I like. having 20 of one type of cache or one style of hide in one area is not so fun for me.

msteelee
06-24-2004, 07:26 AM
I agree with all of that! I am partial to multi's, however, and especially multi's with some sort of puzzle or calculation!

Haffy
06-24-2004, 07:56 AM
I tend to like all 3 myself,but am now leaning towards the multi's also. Just wish I could figure some of them out a little easier,but that's what makes them a challenge,right? Still haven't figured out Brdad's Eagle Eye Stash yet though :confused: I do enjoy the hiking ones too as I love the exercise that is involved with them.

Trail Prowlers
06-24-2004, 10:17 AM
We chose multis because not only do we like the vagaries of a multi-legged journey, we also enjoy placing these the most as it requires us to try and outwit, to a degree, our fellow cachers. Also, and perhaps even more important, multis seem to be targeted less by geocahers-gone-bad for destruction as it actually takes thought to find them, something which is sorely lacking in these types of individuals.

attroll
06-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Incedently, there are 10 curent registered cache types: Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Letterbox, Event, Webcam, Unknown, Locationless, Project Ape, and CITO Event.

I really enjoy multis, but I like variety even better, so I am voting "All 3", since it is closest to "All Types", which I would have voted for had it been an option.

It's great that there is such opportunity for caches of varying styles and types, and that's what I like. having 20 of one type of cache or one style of hide in one area is not so fun for me.
I was going to list all 10 caches in the vote option , but only the 3 that I listed go towards your total count in you found caches on the geoacahe.com. I was bummed after doing a couple benchmarks and found out it did not go towards my total count of found caches. But I do consider them all caches.

brdad
06-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Actually, all 10 go toward your find count. Eventually, locationless may not. Benchmarks and TB tags are the only ones that are seperate. You did, however, pick the 3 that would probably be voted highest. Although event caches are real fun! Just not something you can do on a regular basis.

WhereRWe?
06-27-2004, 07:28 AM
I already cast my vote for multi-caches, but I wanted you to see one that I thought was really great. Since it's in New Brunswick, it's a little far away, but maybe it will give someone an idea for a Maine cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ae0b569f-5c89-4156-b54d-b5a05174b0fc

And here is another, near Montreal, that I plan on visiting this summer (If I can figure it out...)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d9432431-a31a-48f8-9f17-d95ac280f42c

:D

parmachenee
06-29-2004, 06:55 AM
I like all three which includes all ten actually. I haven't done all ten, but I like having the option of a variety of caches to choose from. The great thing about geocaching is the variety of cache styles and locations. There is always something new to discover and explore. The 10 categories also give a wider range of access to people who wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to enjoy this great activity.

lefty
06-14-2005, 05:36 AM
We like straight up multis, not much paitence in figuring out puzzles with muggles around.

J_Cyr
06-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I guess I prefer traditional. I guess cause I like to stick to traditions! :D

Zoltarus
07-06-2005, 12:30 AM
If all the ones I have tried, I like letterbox hybrid the best. I have been looking around for a place to put my first cache. The good spot I had picked out was muggled before I even hid the cache.

Zol

Team Nirvana
07-06-2005, 08:13 AM
I like variety. What I especially like is ending up a great location where I never would have gone before. I also like a cache where the owner have spent time being creative with a puzzle or hiding a cache.

drbugman
07-15-2005, 08:14 AM

We've got one of the Project APEs down here in MD. A lot of people use it as a major find (100th, 200th, etc.). Definitely NOT a micro cache as it's the largest I've ever seen. There is a nearby Cache Across Maryland cache that is highly creative.

One thing that they do that y'all may want to try in Maine is the Cache Across Maryland. Each year new caches are put out in a route across the whole state. The goal is to find them all within a set period of time. Finding each gives you a number of a coordinate for a picnic celebrating the completion of the event. Some are incredibly creative. I missed this year's due to the move down here from Maine. Maine would be a gorgeous state in which to try a similar event. Sorry for going a bit off topic with this last paragraph as there is no special icon associated with the event.

Yeehawma
08-07-2005, 04:03 PM
I would like to see Micro caches listed as a category of their own. I do not consider them traditional caches; they are unique in that they are extra small and hold only a small log if anything at all. What do you all think?
Yeehawma

WhereRWe?
08-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I would like to see Micro caches listed as a category of their own. I do not consider them traditional caches; they are unique in that they are extra small and hold only a small log if anything at all. What do you all think?
Yeehawma

I exchanged several emails with our cache approver on this. He made a good point that micros - which most regulars in this forum know that I hate with a passion - do serve a purpose. Geocaching.com is VERY reluctant to establish virtual caches, with the logic that there are VERY few places where caches cannot be established.

A part of this is the micro cache, which can he hidden almost everywhere. We visited a micro this last week where the difficulty was 3 1/2 - primarily because it was in a VERY public oceanfront area, and the difficulty reflected the effort needed to find the cache without being seen.

Yes, there is usually only a log and possibly a coin or pin in a micro, but they do serve a purpose. (Except when they're hidden in lamp posts at fast food restaurants.) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Beach Comber
08-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I'll take a micro over a nano any day - lol. I found my first nano while in Florida! It was kind of cool because it was in a nice area, but I think that the park that it was in could have accomodated a traditional. But then again, I wouldn't have wanted to root around in the bushes trying to find it with all those blasted snakes that live in the South - eek :eek:

WhereRWe?
08-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I'll take a micro over a nano any day - lol. I found my first nano while in Florida! It was kind of cool because it was in a nice area, but I think that the park that it was in could have accomodated a traditional.

OK, "Mork", what is a "nano"? :D :D :p

Yeehawma
08-07-2005, 08:06 PM
I exchanged several emails with our cache approver on this. He made a good point that micros - which most regulars in this forum know that I hate with a passion - do serve a purpose. Geocaching.com is VERY reluctant to establish virtual caches, with the logic that there are VERY few places where caches cannot be established.

A part of this is the micro cache, which can he hidden almost everywhere. We visited a micro this last week where the difficulty was 3 1/2 - primarily because it was in a VERY public oceanfront area, and the difficulty reflected the effort needed to find the cache without being seen.

Yes, there is usually only a log and possibly a coin or pin in a micro, but they do serve a purpose. (Except when they're hidden in lamp posts at fast food restaurants.) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I totally agree that micros serve a purpose, even if they aren't my favorite. I know people who only hunt the micros and that is great. Geocaching offers something for everybody. Heck, I even hunt an occasional micro when I have the urge to geocache, but can only squeeze in a lunch time excursion in a business suit... I would just like to see Micros as a category of their own.

Beach Comber
08-07-2005, 08:12 PM
OK, "Mork", what is a "nano"? :D :D :p
:p LOL - I would prefer to be called Mindy - hehehe - but Mork will do in this case I guess.
:o Perhaps you were just teasing, but just in case......this container was about 1 1/2" long and 3/8" in diameter.....though now that I look at the options I don't see nano on the list - or itty bitty for that matter - LOL. Not sure where I got the idea that is what the itty bitty size is called.
:eek: Then again - you know me - I thought you said you found an ostrich feather at the Brewer CITO Event

Cache'n Jacksons
08-07-2005, 08:26 PM
I think with the filters available now to GC.com members or users of GSAK, anyone that is really opposed to micros (or doesn't have the time for them) can weed them out of their searches. It would be hard to make a new category because sometimes they are traditional, sometimes multi, and there could even be an unknown (or puzzle) cache type that is a micro.

EGSG
08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
I'd like to join in on the bashing of micros, :rolleyes: But we've found a few that were really good caches. In a park that is mostly mowed lawn there isn't a lot of places to hide a cache. People have gotten very creative in hiding them. I think we've told you about most of them. The film canister drilled into a phone pole, the "fake" electical outlets, the random numbers on a street pole. And our favorite, the hider found a stick, exactly the same size as a film container. Somehow he stripped the bark off and glued it to a film container. He then velcroed it to the same species tree. It looked like a stump on the tree.
But then again, none of them was more that a 100' hike. So is the complaint against micros about the hike, or the hide?
I agree with the arguement against drive up light pole caches. But in an urban park a well thought out micro is better than no cache.

Haffy
08-07-2005, 11:24 PM
After doing the Homedezinahs and Mom Muggly and Moe caches this past week I can honestly say I have a better respect for micros. If they are well planned out and well hidden and used in conjunction with a traditional cache container at the final cache then they are a lot of fun. The uniqueness of the hiding container and where it is hidden can really add a new dimension to the so-called micro. I know I have a better respect for them now than I did before. It was just those lampost micros that turned me off to them but not anymore.

WhereRWe?
08-08-2005, 07:14 AM
The last couple of posts make some good arguments for micros, and we've found some good ones as well. One that I remember well is a film can with a string hung inside a well pipe. (Strings around a potential cache pocation are always a giveaway).

But most of the time they're abused, and used for the sole purpose of establishing a cache with no merit other than "the numbers". Lest we forget, besides the lamp post caches, there are the guard rails in the parking lot, and the shrub in the lawn of the old folks home. Why???

:(

Beach Comber
08-08-2005, 08:33 AM
........But most of the time they're abused, and used for the sole purpose of establishing a cache with no merit other than "the numbers". Lest we forget, besides the lamp post caches, there are the guard rails in the parking lot, and the shrub in the lawn of the old folks home. Why???
:(Though I will have to admit that micros are not on the top of my list as a favorite cache type and I have recently seen some that really make me wonder what on earth the person who hid it was thinking, I remember the story behind the shrub and my sense of judgment goes away. The story of the "shrub cache" is that the owner of the cache placed it there in honor of her mother who had spent some time recovering from an illness at the location. The staff were wonderful to her and very interested in learning more about caching and thought that watching the activity of the cache would be fun. Though I found it an uncomfortable one to do myself because it was so in the open, I found the sentiment behind the placement to be very honorable.

Not meaning to lecture here, it's just that we don't always know the whole story behind the cache placement. Plus, not only are there some oddly placed microcaches, I have seen many odd and inappropriately placed caches of all types. But then again, isn't that one of the exciting aspects of the "sport" - the diversity of it all makes it very interesting.

Hiker Twins
08-08-2005, 09:04 AM
I am not opposed to any type of cache nor would I want to question anyone's reason for placing a certain cache. I also thought the drive-bys and micros might be good for someone who was disabled and wanted to join the fun. Anyway, I thought the new micro cache put out in Jay, "Meet Us in the Morning" was great fun and a good hunt even though it was a micro. I hope people don't skip it for that reason! If you are after trade items then of course micros aren't the ones to find. Twin 2 of Hiker Twins

WhereRWe?
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Though I will have to admit that micros are not on the top of my list as a favorite cache type and I have recently seen some that really make me wonder what on earth the person who hid it was thinking, I remember the story behind the shrub and my sense of judgment goes away. The story of the "shrub cache" is that the owner of the cache placed it there in honor of her mother who had spent some time recovering from an illness at the location. The staff were wonderful to her and very interested in learning more about caching and thought that watching the activity of the cache would be fun. Though I found it an uncomfortable one to do myself because it was so in the open, I found the sentiment behind the placement to be very honorable.

I would have been a lot less critical of this one if the cache description explained that they had permission to place the cache and that it provided entertainment for the staff/residents.

:o :o :o

Sheesh! Why should I be complaining? It is about the numbers after all! LOL! :D :D

Beach Comber
08-08-2005, 02:44 PM
That's right - hehehe - a number is a number is a number ;)

becket
08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
i was in n conway nh this weekend for the saco river indian powwow. while i was there, i did 6 caches. the first was a lamp post micro, which was not inspiring at all, but would be cool for someone who was handicapped. the second was a guardrail micro, which had an awesome view. the third was another micro with an even more awesome view. a fourth was at a really interesting place. the fifth was at a pond, with a wonderful short walk through some trees. it was well-hidden. i really liked it (and i tend to hate micros) because it was so quiet, calm and pretty there. the sixth was an ammo can, and it was a tb hotel (but i didn't have any with me.) i enjoyed this one the most, but that doesn't mean that the others were bad. i know that i never would have seen any of those places (i've been to n conway 3 times before) if it hadn't been for the micros. i still don't like them, but i can tolerate them.

Slate
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't suppose that the lamp post micro was in the parking lot at CVS? That is the only cache I have not even attempted to find once getting to the site. It wasn't worth the waste of my time to get out of the car and look around.

becket
08-08-2005, 09:39 PM
nope, it was a shaws - but there could have been a cvs there, too

Beach Comber
08-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I remember my first lightpole cache - it was in Florida. I was visiting my parents and was excited to bring my father along to show him what caching was about. I had been there a couple of times before and kept pondering where in the world the cache could be so close to where they lived. I had little experience with caching in areas other than fantastic trails in the woods, along the shore, beautiful views, etc. This area was filled with retirement communities and shopping centers. Hmmmmmmmm

So, out we go, anticipating "the hunt". I'm excited to share. He's curious about this new obsession of mine. We drive to the area, getting closer to the cache. He is watching the GPS closely and as we crest the hill, there it is - a WalMart parking lot - awwwwwww.

My father's reaction........."hehehehe - Oh, NOW I see why you are so excited about geocaching."

It is a lightpole micro that I will not soon forget - LOL - any cache that I can share with my dad is a great one!

Hiram357
09-30-2005, 08:40 PM
what are project ape caches?

drbugman
10-01-2005, 08:13 AM
what are project ape caches?Here's a link to one of the Project APE caches (the only one that I've done):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4c07040b-ffef-404a-a842-a76dad7d3344

Definitely not a micro!

Here's a link with more explanations about them:
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/projectape.htm