View Full Version : Travel Bugs and retrieving them

attroll
12-15-2005, 04:19 AM
I want everyones opinion on this. Is it right to attend an event and literally pick up a travel bug and then place it back on the table and then log it retrieved from the event and then log it back into the same event. I personally do not find this right and ethical. I was wondering how others felt about this.

J_Cyr
12-15-2005, 04:24 AM
No, definitly not right. Actually, the word "stupid" comes to mind as well.
A TB is meant to be picked up at an event or in a cache and then transferred to another cache or event. Because you got to "touch" a travel bug at an event gives you no right to write down the numbers of the TB and log it... pointless and...stupid. But hey... thats just my $.02.

Haffy
12-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Whether is is right or ethical or not is up to your own interpretation I guess,but I prefer not to do it that way. There are many in the geocaching world who do just that but I guess it is up to the individual how they want to play the game.I prefer to move them from one event or cache to another but that's just the way I prefer to play the game.

tat
12-15-2005, 07:33 AM
It is allowed. I don't see any ethics issues provided the cacher does exactly what they claim: ie. they physically pick up the travel bug, then put it back.

This is a good way to keep track of which bugs you've seen.

On the other hand, some bug owers do not want to recieve logs when the bug does not move. Always read the bug page before logging!

WhereRWe?
12-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Good comments so far, but I personally wouldn't do it. The object of the TB is to travel from CACHE to CACHE, not from CACHER to CACHER.

But then again, there's the issue of picking up a TB and then logging it into and out of multiple caches, which I've done to help a TB on it's goal.

Sometimes the concern about "The Numbers" exceeds common sense...

:D :D :D

d’76
12-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Being somewhat inexperianced when it comes to TBs what would there be to gain by picking one up and the setting it sown and logging it. You don't get numbers for tbs do you??:confused:

Gob-ler
12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Having been to several events elsewhere this is a pretty common practice most everywhere.

Would I do it my self? NOT!

But, the part about geocaching that most folks enjoy is that you set the guidelines or parameters you choose to follow. Given that baseline it is OK to do that if you want to do it.

So while I would not and others here would not, some would and they can do that.

The best thing to do in geocaching and life is make sure you can live with the person who stares back at you in the mirror every morning. There are alots of things in life that others choose to do that I would not, but there is little I can do about it.

Seeking an opinion is good, name calling is not. Someone or more than just one who was obviously at an event could now read this thread and learn that someone thinks poorly of them.

WhereRWe?
12-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Seeking an opinion is good, name calling is not. Someone or more than just one who was obviously at an event could now read this thread and learn that someone thinks poorly of them.

Did I miss something? I saw neither name-calling or names mentioned. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Our Geocaching Maine motto is "The Way Caching Should Be", which, obviously, means that in some other place (which we will not mention so as to not hurt any feelings), caching is NOT "The Way Caching Should Be".

J_Cyr
12-15-2005, 10:50 AM
No one has been mentioned in this post and no one will be mentioned, it was just a discussion brought up.

If you go to the Official Geocaching website, here is the definition of "What is a travel bug"

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

I think its just about numberous.... if your a numbers person and always competitive withothers your likely to do this. I have seen a few people do it and if you check logbooks for some travel bugs you will see people log them, because they took down thier numbers at events. Wrong in my eyes, like many others, but since the rules are very open, this is a geat discussion. Poll?

The G Team
12-15-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm afraid I just can't get worked up over stuff like this--I guess I'm not hard-core enough. I just like to cache, meet caching friends, and have fun. I don't spend much (any) energy worrying about what other cachers do (as long as it is not injurious to the sport, the enviroment, or others). A "Libertarian Cacher", if you will.

tat
12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
What about event TBs?, the ones that are specifically designed to be kept by the owner and shared at events. My favorite example is Cameooooo's Maine Memories TB. I sure hope that has a long life!

Gob-ler
12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I think in one of the earlier posts someone mentioned that the action questioned was or could be in their opinion "stupid". I think that comment crossed the line.

Could someone who may have been there and logged a TB at the event that they only handled feel that the comment was directed at them if they stumbled on this discussion?

As for "caching the way it should be" I'll not go there because this state sure has it's share of caching issues.

As for me I just like to find them and hide them. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. That's the great thing about caching. You do not have to measure up to anyone else's expectations except your own.

TB logging at events is a very accepted thing to do if you choose to do so. Enough said?

J_Cyr
12-15-2005, 04:02 PM
That was my remark, but I assume we are are entitled to our own opinions. I was replying to the original post. I never mentioned names, nor pointed fingers. Just my direct though of logging TB's at Events just personally crossed my mind as that. I am not out there to judge but if everyone logged every TB at every event, then 40 people would have logged the same travel bug that day and it staying in the same location. So the person who "trades" travel bugs at the event gets no "credit" on taking one and putting in it in a cache or another event, and the another person logs it as well because they simply wrote down the 6 digit number on the TB? Its the same thing to me as just emailing everyone all the tracking numbers on every TB out there so everyone can log them, which takes all the fun out of the game if you ask me.
Again, take not no fingers are being pointed here, I am not judging just simply putting my my $.02 everyone is entitled to an opinion and thats just mine. Sure, it's not right in my mind and gets to a point where it literally annoys me, and I know it annoys others but the question being on this forum is just whether you think this is right or not and why. Have a good day.

Gob-ler
12-15-2005, 05:33 PM
No problem with your thoughts on TB's, but folks do what they will. The only place where we part is on the one word comment you made and it is a comment that while it reflects your feeling on the matter it also points at the actions of others and could be taken the wrong way. That's my only point.

As for all the TB's, for me they are just a side thing. If I get to log one fine, if not no big deal. There are a number of things that happen with Travel Bugs and geo coins that don't sit well with a lot of people, but there is little any of us can do to change that. So, for me I just don't bother to make them issues.

Maybe a little different choice of words would have been better for all concerned, but hey, thats the way it is.

No foul, proceed!

Sudonim
12-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I have seen places where TB's were logged by multiple people, and I wouldn't do it, but have no problem with others that do. The only case I can think of where I would do a "I put my hands on it" log is for a Moun10Bike trackable coin. These things are as rare as hens teeth (and were the first geocoin issued) I'd like to see one up close.

WhereRWe?
12-15-2005, 05:46 PM
As for "caching the way it should be" I'll not go there because this state sure has it's share of caching issues.

OK, you trolled, I'll bite.

What "caching issues" does Maine have? ;) ;)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
12-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Ut oh,,,I did a stupid thing! I signed and logged the Event T-Shirt TB but never actually took it anywhere. It was my size too!! I actually logged it back into the cache event. Maine Caching memories TB was another of my indescretions.. People, PLEASE forgive me and I'll be sure to conform. I want to keep caching the way it should be.:eek:

For each his own.

Team2hunt
12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Noone got hurt, no stone wall was dismantled, no cache was defaced, and least of all the environment was not disturbed. Maybe we shouldget out the " Rules ". Oh thats right there isn't one. Please give it up. Your still backseat driving. Thanks for the time and space. :rolleyes: :D

d’76
12-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Ut oh,,,I did a stupid thing! I signed and logged the Event T-Shirt TB but never actually took it anywhere. It was my size too!! I actually logged it back into the cache event. Maine Caching memories TB was another of my indescretions.. People, PLEASE forgive me and I'll be sure to conform. I want to keep caching the way it should be.:eek:

For each his own.

Put your snardleys on the chopping block Steve, It's curtains for you. LOL:)

attroll
12-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Being somewhat inexperianced when it comes to TBs what would there be to gain by picking one up and the setting it sown and logging it. You don't get numbers for tbs do you??:confused:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a contest on GC that for every TB that you moved a TB that your name got put in a drawing or something to that effect?

Hiram357
12-15-2005, 10:04 PM
i think we all need a group therapy session to get our real feeling out.