View Full Version : Where are the County cachers?

Haffy
12-23-2005, 03:09 PM
What's up with the county cachers anyway?, Northwoods Explorer still has 3 unfound caches from the 26th of November. If those were down here they would have been found within the hour of posting.:D

Slate
12-23-2005, 03:40 PM
How about Big Rock Family Trail by Northwoods Explorer? It was hidden on 9/14/05 and no one has found it yet. It looks like it time for someone to get busy and log some FTFs.

dí76
12-23-2005, 03:43 PM
I have next week off....... HUMMMMMM wow a whole bunch of ftf in the same day. cool

blevesque
12-23-2005, 05:03 PM
We've been buried under 4 feet of snow since July :p

WhereRWe?
12-23-2005, 05:11 PM
What's up with the county cachers anyway?, Northwoods Explorer still has 3 unfound caches from the 26th of November. If those were down here they would have been found within the hour of posting.:D

Haffy, have you ANY idea how COLD and WINDY it is up there at this time of year? LOL!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

dí76
12-23-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm going next week. They wont go unfound much longer:)

blevesque
12-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm going next week. They wont go unfound much longer:)

Good luck, you'll need it, don't forget the snowshoes and a big shovel :cool:

dí76
12-23-2005, 05:40 PM

I found my first 75 caches in the snow, It wasn't that much harder and there was no black flies or muggles

WhereRWe?
12-23-2005, 05:57 PM
I found my first 75 caches in the snow, It wasn't that much harder and there was no black flies or muggles

We've "found" several caches in winter that I couldn't open - they were frozen in! LOL! One was an ammo can that was in ice up to the lid. I tried chopping, but...

(We didn't claim them, either...)

And remember, now that geocaching.com has terrain icons in the pockey query page, you can do a search for caches that are "winter available" (and take your chances!).

:D :D :D

tat
12-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I think someone is telling tall tales!

The real story:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg

WhereRWe?
12-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Sheesh! What is up in Vermont that has all that snow??? Are they counting man-made snow at Jay Peak??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

dí76
12-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Perseverance is what it takes. I had 3 dnf of the winter last year. I'm not saying that it was easy. I had alot of wet gloves and cold hands. I think that the "3 1/2'" of snow that they have in the county may make it a little tough but I'm sure I'll make it. I'll tell the little woman where and when I'll be back so that she can send the rescue dogs if I get caught in an avalanche or snowed in.

Besides I lived in the county for three years and got winter harden and learned that in county lingo an inch equals a foot.:p

Hiram357
12-23-2005, 08:43 PM

You gotta keep in minde, 4 feet of snow to county folk is 4 inches of snow to those of us in the realm of reality.

Hiram357
12-23-2005, 08:48 PM
I think someone is telling tall tales!

haha, i do believe youre right Tat, I have yet to be impressed by a Maine winter, in the northern or southern part of it, all i ever see about maine winters are the stories!! ive taken numerous trips up north just to see these 10 ft piles of snow (that only exist in the wal-mart parking lots) and i am usually disapoointed to find out that the snow depths are over exaggerated.

Hiker Twins
12-23-2005, 08:56 PM
In exile in Western Maine :( !

attroll
12-23-2005, 09:08 PM
They don't have crap for snow. Do you think if they had four feet of snow I would be sitting at my computer typing this right now.

J_Cyr
12-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Ya, we have something different... called ICE. ICE and snow and 0 degree weather. Come on up... you southerners won't last!

Beach Comber
12-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Ya, we have something different... called ICE. ICE and snow and 0 degree weather. Come on up... you southerners won't last!

ooooh - I don't know about that - when I was a child we walked 10 miles in our bare feet in the snow to bring a 5 cent returnable bottle to the store so that we could purchase the 3D glasses when we went to the city for our annual visit to the movie theatre

J_Cyr
12-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Uphill both ways in four feet of snow? You must have been walking with my other ancestors!!!!

Beach Comber
12-23-2005, 11:37 PM
That's right - I forgot about the hills! I do believe we crossed paths as we made our trek - LOL

Hiram357
12-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Uphill both ways in four feet of snow? You must have been walking with my other ancestors!!!!

i dunno, i went out barefoot the last couple of days to get the mail.
i think the northerners just have to overexaggerate to make it seem like they live in some sort of remote area of the world so that they can trick their minds into thinking that northern maine is the place to be.... :rolleyes:

J_Cyr
12-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Uh huh... The 250 mile difference between Waterville to Caribou is alot... you don't get the cold like we do, the snow, like we do, the wind... like we do. Until you live a Cariboian Winter.... you don't know what winter... really is! :D

Hiram357
12-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Uh huh... The 250 mile difference between Waterville to Caribou is alot... you don't get the cold like we do, the snow, like we do, the wind... like we do. Until you live a Cariboian Winter.... you don't know what winter... really is! :D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ive been up there plenty of times in the winter... never been impressed
i grew up in the ohio snowbelt, with all the lake effect snow off of erie... thats more snow than you can stake a shick at thar fella... ;) and its not really that much colder, ya just have the air blowin around to make it feel colder.... :rolleyes:

J_Cyr
12-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Wake up Brian! We're taking a road trip! :D

Hiram357
12-24-2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.umaine.edu/maineclimate/newsletters/html/Feb02News_files/image001.gif
http://www.jacksontwp.com/highway/images/ohiomap.gif

:D

blevesque
12-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Wake up Brian! We're taking a road trip! :D

I'm awake, I'm awake...LET'S GO!

J_Cyr
12-24-2005, 12:50 AM
OK! And we're gonna bring some COLD weather his way! Waterville to Caribou ha! Thats like comparing Canada to Mexico! I have seen snowbanks in February and March plowed on the roadways to almost the telephone pole wires!

Caribou's Average Temp:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:Kr_cbRosju8J:www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/maine/caribou/+caribou+maine+snowfall+average&hl=en

Portland Maine average temp:

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/maine/portland/

Yes... 30 degrees difference a average for each month.....

Are you... still talking!!! :rolleyes:

attroll
12-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Well Jordan I don't know what the heck your talking about. For the last two years people from the county have been come south to get there snowmobling in early in the season.

J_Cyr
12-24-2005, 12:58 AM
ski-doo junk!!!

We have 1600 miles of trail here in the county, that dont make sense. We only groom though when its time too, not when we have... oh 4" of snow on the ground!:cool:

Hiram357
12-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Well Jordan I don't know what the heck your talking about. For the last two years people from the county have been come south to get there snowmobling in early in the season.

now now, careful what you tell them county folk, you can't confuse them with facts... so lets just let them live out their fantasies in their winter wonderlands.... :D

attroll
12-24-2005, 03:36 PM
ski-doo junk!!!

We have 1600 miles of trail here in the county, that dont make sense. We only groom though when its time too, not when we have... oh 4" of snow on the ground!:cool:

4" of snow. Try like 8 to 10.

firefighterjake
12-24-2005, 04:51 PM

Well I hate to admit it . . . but Attroll is right . . . last few winters most of the early season storms were hitting in the southwestern portions of the State. That said . . . my first ride of the year last year was in early to mid January in the County . . . but it was way up in the crown around Frenchville-Fort Kent way.

However, start spreading the word about the snow conditions being lousy in the county so when I come up there will be more wide open trails and the rest of the folks will be riding bumper to bumper in western Maine! :)

Pooh and friends
12-24-2005, 11:27 PM
How to keep the beer cold, and you thought you had some snow!!

http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures/Picture.asp?ID=389

Hiram357
12-25-2005, 10:23 AM
wow, i gotta go get my swamp boots on, cuz the ****** starting to get pretty deep in this one..... :rolleyes:

Northwoods Explorer
07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Interested in FTF than up here is the place for you. Just looked in a 75 circle and found 18 some of then over two years old. The oldest FTF that we have is over two years old from Quebec.:eek: