View Full Version : Garmin vs. Magellan

d’76
12-30-2005, 01:10 PM
I would be interested in knowing which GPSr make and model that you use and why that Gps has worked for you or not worked for you.

Please, this is not an opportunity to bust on the competition.

Slate
12-30-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a Garmin 60c which is a great unit. Many great features, easy to use, great reception, good maps and auto routing. I can't think of any cons. My first unit was a Garmin 12 which I still have. Makes a great backup unit.

WhereRWe?
12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I also have the Garmin GPSMap 60c. What I like best is the autorouting when using Garmin's Mapsource - City Select. Has great maps of both USA and Canada. I'd consider this unit one of the 2-3 best units for geocaching.

J_Cyr
12-30-2005, 02:44 PM
I bought a Garmin 60CS this summer. Expensive, but worth every penny.

I had a Magellan Sport Trak and I sold it to buy this, wouldn't go back to Magellan again. Garmin---all the way.

Smitty & Co.
12-30-2005, 02:58 PM
I started out with Garmin's RINO (RADIO INTEGRATED NAVIGATION OUTDOORS) 110 and liked it real well but wanted another to use the position reporting feature it comes with. I soon purchased the 130 model of RINO and now this Christmas just got my second 130 model. I love the two-way radio feature and can use this position reporting feature with any other RINO user and the two-way radio capabilites can be used with most any other hand-held two-way FRS/GMRS system. I just love these units and now the RINO family has added two more models, the 520 & 530 with more memory and more features. Here is a list of features in the 130 Model:

Rino 130 Features:

12-channel, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver
Transmit power: 1 watt on high power (for GMRS channels), .5 watt for low power (FRS channels)
Transmit distance: up to 2 miles using FRS, up to 5 miles with GMRS
14 FRS channels, 8 GMRS channels, and 8 GMRS repeater channels (using GMRS frequency in the U.S. requires a FCC license)
38 sub-audible squelch codes per transmission channel for semi-private radio communications
Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still
Electronic barometric altimeter sensor with automatic pressure trend recording
Detects up to 7 NOAA weather channels with weather alert tones
External voice activation (VOX)
Waterproof to IPX-7 standards (immersible in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
Ergonomic design for one-handed operation, with Call and Press-To-Talk (PTT) and Page mode buttons on the side, Power/Backlighting button on top, Volume and Zoom buttons on front, and center Thumb Stick
Unique Thumb Stick for channel selection and volume adjustment in FRS/GMRS mode, and quick map panning, enter and selection functions in GPS mode
Sends and receives GPS location using FRS and GMRS channels and shows them on the map
Stores up to 500 waypoints, with graphic identification and 20 reversible routes
Robust track log: 10,000 trackpoints and up to 20 saved tracks to retrace user’s path or companion’s path via location-reporting feature
Trip computer with speed tracking, sunrise/sunset read out, trip time, and trip distance
Includes a polling feature which allows a user to manually request GPS location information from other Rino units
Sends and receives short text notes for quiet communication
Built-in basemap for North and South America
24-MB internal memory for loading MapSource detail, including U.S. Topo 24K™, U.S. Topo™, Recreational Lakes™, BlueChart®, and MetroGuide®.
Battery life of 14 hours (typical use) on three AA alkaline batteries
Backlit display
More than 10 position formats and over 100 map datums
Multiple grid formats including MGRS and Loran TD
Please note: Check your local radio agency for use outside the U.S. and Canada.We are pleased to announce that the FCC has granted Garmin a waiver that will allow the Rino series units to send position data on GMRS channels. In addition, Industry Canada has established a license-free GMRS service. Canadian Rino units will now allow users access to GMRS channels. Position sending/polling will also be allowed on Canadian GMRS channels. These new capabilities are available with a simple software update (http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?product=010-00270-03) obtained free of charge from the Garmin Web site.

SOOOOO COOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARMIN ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Smitty & Co.
12-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Come on.....lets here from the 14 Magellan users, what ya got to say about your unit???????? :rolleyes: Speak up, we'll go fairly easy on you, thats if you got something real good to say about Magellan :D :p :D

Just kidding. :D :D

firefighterjake
12-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Magellan Meridian (color) . . . had all the features I wanted (mapping ability, auto-routing for driving the vehicle, ability to show on a detailed map where I was while on the ATV or sled or while hiking, geo-caching, color screen, etc.) and I was able to pick it up in a bundled package for a sweet deal which is what ultimately lead me to purchase it. So far I've got no complaints.

d’76
12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I use a Garmin 60c aswell. I like it, it seems to loose reception often. I returned it to the place of purchase and got another 60c. I this one has the same trouble. Does this mean that when the batteries get low the signal gets weak also? Everything else is awesome about it. I wish the games where better:D . I think that the only thing that would make this unit better was if it updated faster when walking in the woods.

kayakerinme
12-30-2005, 05:29 PM
My first unit. Got it primarily to keep a track of where I went kayaking and how to find my way back to the launch point. Waterproof was big concern. Topo maps have better representation of the lakes and those could be downloaded to this. Found out about geocaching after I had the unit and I don't have any complaints there. Always pretty accurate (except for Hinkley Park). Great little unit.

The G Team
12-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Come on.....lets here from the 3 Magellan users, what ya got to say about your unit???????? :rolleyes: Speak up, we'll go fairly easy on you, thats if you got something real good to say about Magellan :D :p :D

Just kidding. :D :D

Well, I got the SportTrack Map brand new for a total investment of around $40.00, and it does what it is supposed to do. I've cached with Garmin users (and use one of my school's Gekos from time to time) and honestly don't see much difference. Sometimes the Garmins get a better lock, sometimes the SportTrack does. If extra cash were available, I'm sure I'd buy a CS, just 'cause I like cool toys--I don't really think it would effect my find/DNF ratio any though.

Mainiac1957
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I am currently on my third Garmin a Map60cs. This replaced a Vista which I bought for Geocaching. I had a Garmin12 that I bought to use for navigation on my boat when I lived in Florida. I made a choice with the first one based on cost. The next two simply because I had good luck with the first Garmin. I suppose I could have just as easily been a Magellan user, it's just the way it worked out. I've heard pros and cons on both brands so I guess which ever one works well for use is the one to stick with.

Hiram357
12-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Magellan Meridian (color) . . . had all the features I wanted (mapping ability, auto-routing for driving the vehicle, ability to show on a detailed map where I was while on the ATV or sled or while hiking, geo-caching, color screen, etc.) and I was able to pick it up in a bundled package for a sweet deal which is what ultimately lead me to purchase it. So far I've got no complaints.

NOOO JAKE!! NOT YOU!!! *SIGH* a sad day it is... i never thought you would be on the dark side...... :(

WhereRWe?
12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I use a Garmin 60c aswell. I like it, it seems to loose reception often.

Remember, you get a better signal when you hold the GPSr UPRIGHT (antenna pointing up), rather than holding it flat. :D :D

d’76
12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Remember, you get a better signal when you hold the GPSr UPRIGHT (antenna pointing up), rather than holding it flat. :D :D

Really??? I didnt think it mattered, I will try that next time i'm out

Thanx

Haffy
12-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Just remember though that it works only for those with the quad helix antenna and not the patch antenna like the Etrex series has. Those need to be held flat.

Mainiac1957
12-30-2005, 07:40 PM

Just remember though that it works only for those with the quad helix antenna and not the patch antenna like the Etrex series has. Those need to be held flat.

I guess you learn something new every day.

firefighterjake
12-30-2005, 08:34 PM
NOOO JAKE!! NOT YOU!!! *SIGH* a sad day it is... i never thought you would be on the dark side...... :(

Yes, it is true Hiram357 . . . I am your father. :) Join me and buy a Magellan and we will rule the geo-caching galaxy . . . mu-ha-ha-ha.

firefighterjake
12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Smitty . . . I've sent you a PM. Buddy just received a Rhino 530 as a Christmas gift and needs help figuring out how to get a more detailed map, how to remove waypoints, etc. and since I am a feeble-minded Magellan user I was pretty much stumped. He may be signing on to this board soon for info . . . and I suspect he may soon join the ranks of us geo-cachers as well.

DiverDave1998
12-30-2005, 08:46 PM
I have a Garmin etrex . I bought it to set up landing zones for life flight since iam on 2 rescue services , then i came across geocaching .
and it seems to work fine but iam looking to ugrade but not sure what i want. maybe ill go with a rino.

robt
12-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Well to sign in for the dark side :) Magellan meridian,

Pro's
SD Memory Card for added expansion.
is pretty accurate I think :)
large screen
decent veiws.
can set the back light to allways on.

Con's
Mine is only monochrome.
no USB conection
Does not have the neat little directional arrow that 76c can display
on the map menu.
no compass
and a few other missing toys.

Right now I am looking at the new Garmin 76csx or 60csx at first glance it looks like the best features of both the garmin and magellan units roled into 1 unit. :) will have to see when they finnaly come out.

noreasta
12-30-2005, 11:14 PM
I guess I am partial to Garmin. Seems like they are the pioneers of the lastest technology in my opinion only.. And of coarse the fact that i have a stock in garmin the past three or four years that has grown may have something to do with it.. I orginally bought a garmin 12 that was a basic unit then in 2002 , the year i started caching with only 115 in the state of Maine. i bought a garmin map76 of which i was able to load maps into it for the first time for me. I now wish i had a color garmin unit or which i suspect i will have on my next gps purchase..

BUY GARMIN ( support a local geocacher) :D

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 12:24 AM

I agree with that, if i hold it straigt up, it's just as accurate as my fortrex with a quadrahelix antenna on it.

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Yes, it is true Hiram357 . . . I am your father. :) Join me and buy a Magellan and we will rule the geo-caching galaxy . . . mu-ha-ha-ha.

NOOOO NEVER!!!! GARMIN IS THE LIGHT!!

WhereRWe?
12-31-2005, 08:52 AM

Really? I know it works on my 60c (which has a quad helix antenna), but I was told that it also works with the Etrex (which I haven't tested as I haven't used it since I got the 60cs).

Like the man says, you learn something new every day.

:D :D

robt
12-31-2005, 02:26 PM

But in the end even Darth Vader came back over to the light side... :)

So Jake, does this mean you will be ordering a garmin soon too? :)

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 05:03 PM

true true... but didnt darth vader have to die before he saw the light?? THAT"S IT!! WE'LL HAVE THE MAINE MAGELLAN HUNT!! WE'LL GO IN SEARCH OF MAGELLAN USERS AND BURN THEM AT THE STEAK!! I EVEN HAVE A SCIENTIFIC METHOD OF FINDING THEM!! WE PUT THEM ON A SCALE WITH A DUCK! AND IF THEY WEIGH LESS THAN THE DUCK, THEN THEY'RE A MAGELLAN USER!!!!! I'LL GET THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!! :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
12-31-2005, 05:17 PM
If Magellan actual had a Garmin GPSr he would have realized the place he was looking for was only inches behind him instead of sailing all the way around the world to get there!!! :eek:

Sorry, i couldn't resist a verbal jab!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 05:29 PM
If Magellan actual had a Garmin GPSr he would have realized the place he was looking for was only inches behind him instead of sailing all the way around the world to get there!!! :eek:

Sorry, i couldn't resist a verbal jab!

Happy New Year!!!!!

All I can say to that is... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Thats a good one!

robt
12-31-2005, 08:49 PM
true true... but didnt darth vader have to die before he saw the light?? THAT"S IT!! WE'LL HAVE THE MAINE MAGELLAN HUNT!! WE'LL GO IN SEARCH OF MAGELLAN USERS AND BURN THEM AT THE STEAK!! I EVEN HAVE A SCIENTIFIC METHOD OF FINDING THEM!! WE PUT THEM ON A SCALE WITH A DUCK! AND IF THEY WEIGH LESS THAN THE DUCK, THEN THEY'RE A MAGELLAN USER!!!!! I'LL GET THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!! :D :D :D :rolleyes:

hold on, a witch hunt, how big a duck are you using???? I am getting worried here.

I have a better idea, put up a cache with safe co-ords and then have a a bonfire that is a few hundred feet off....... then when all the garmin users go to the wrong place they are burned in the fire and the elite magellan users are safe cause we had the good GPS devices that took us to the correct place. :)

The G Team
12-31-2005, 09:17 PM

Hiram, you can burn me a "steak" any time!

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 06:37 PM
hold on, a witch hunt, how big a duck are you using???? I am getting worried here.

I have a better idea, put up a cache with safe co-ords and then have a a bonfire that is a few hundred feet off....... then when all the garmin users go to the wrong place they are burned in the fire and the elite magellan users are safe cause we had the good GPS devices that took us to the correct place. :)

a mallard is the proper duck to use for such a scientific experiment.... and your bonfire theory wouldnt work, Garmin users are smarter than that (thats why they own garmins in the first place) and the magellan users would never make it anywhere because they would be too busy going around in circles trying to figure out why their arrows keep moving! :p

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 06:39 PM

heh, my steaks never get close enough to the fire to be burned, if they don't put up a fight theyre overdone!! :D

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 06:53 PM
We did steaks on the grill a couple of nights ago. It's great to have a covered deck! LOL!

OOPS! Sorry, I mis-spoke. I DID STEAKS ON THE GRILL. Sheesh! Everyone knows women don't know a thing about grilling! ;) ;) ;)

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 07:16 PM
We did steaks on the grill a couple of nights ago. It's great to have a covered deck! LOL!

OOPS! Sorry, I mis-spoke. I DID STEAKS ON THE GRILL. Sheesh! Everyone knows women don't know a thing about grilling! ;) ;) ;)

they do too know something about grilling!!! They know that every time a man grills.... the food will be good, the beer will be cold, and she will have to do the dishes afterwards... :D :D :D

Beach Comber
01-01-2006, 07:25 PM

ohhhhhh nooooooooo :eek: ;)

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
they do too know something about grilling!!! They know that every time a man grills.... the food will be good, the beer will be cold, and she will have to do the dishes afterwards... :D :D :D

Sheesh! What kind of household do you live in??? In my house, the beer is ALWAYS cold! :D :D

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:27 PM
ohhhhhh nooooooooo :eek: ;)

OK, Beachie. Next outdoors geocaching event, it's a CHALLENGE! :D :D

Gator 09S
01-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Started using a Rino 110 and 320 in Iraq, we found the radio to be avg but the use of the GPS and Radio at the same time to use up to many batteries. Now that I am home (Maine) I have found the Rino 530 to have many features that I wish I had in country.

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Sheesh! What kind of household do you live in??? In my house, the beer is ALWAYS cold! :D :D

well you know how it is, some women just don't have their priorities striaight... like they think refrigerators are supposed to hold food and not beer... crazy stuff like that, that just doesnt' make any sense... :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
well you know how it is, some women just don't have their priorities striaight... like they think refrigerators are supposed to hold food and not beer... crazy stuff like that, that just doesnt' make any sense... :rolleyes:

I have a kegerator. :D :D :D

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 08:28 PM
a kegerator??? I didn't know they sold Genny Light in kegs...... :p

d’76
01-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haffy6
Im thinking maybe this would be a good time to ask our webmaster Rick to make a new topic thread of OFF topic as this thread is WAY off topic. I was under the impression that this thread is called "tell us about yourself" what the heck does Guiness and Canadian beer have to do with this topic anyway? lol ;)

Well Haffy the kind of beer that a person drinks does tell a lot about the person. Like me for example, I enjoy Guinness that shows that I am well educated and have some class, but on the other hand WhereRwe drinks pig swill like Zima and Blue Ribbon, which shows he has no idea what good beer is, and so he therefore lives a sheltered and uninteresting life... :p :p ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So How the **** did the topic end up here also!

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haffy6
Im thinking maybe this would be a good time to ask our webmaster Rick to make a new topic thread of OFF topic as this thread is WAY off topic. I was under the impression that this thread is called "tell us about yourself" what the heck does Guiness and Canadian beer have to do with this topic anyway? lol ;)

Well Haffy the kind of beer that a person drinks does tell a lot about the person. Like me for example, I enjoy Guinness that shows that I am well educated and have some class, but on the other hand WhereRwe drinks pig swill like Zima and Blue Ribbon, which shows he has no idea what good beer is, and so he therefore lives a sheltered and uninteresting life... :p :p ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So How the **** did the topic end up here also!

no no dave, this topic is not just about beer, it's about grilling, it's a whole different topic that derailed this thread.

d’76
01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
no no dave, this topic is not just about beer, it's about grilling, it's a whole different topic that derailed this thread.

So tell me again how this pertains to Megellan and garmin stuff.

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 10:00 PM
So tell me again how this pertains to Megellan and garmin stuff.

well ya can't go geocaching on an empty stomach now can ya?? it's really hard to focus on finding a cache when your stomach is grumbling... and it's also hard to use your GPS when you've had one too many, which is one reason why i like my GPS72, it has a nice big screen and big buttons, now my foretrex, that one is not drinker friendly because it has really tiny buttons... and for those Magellan users... well... ya gotta be pretty drunk to be talked into buying one of them.... so ya see, geocaching, beer, steaks... they're all tied in with one another, like the ying and yang of geocaching... :D

firefighterjake
01-02-2006, 04:20 PM

Not unless Hiram is my long-lost illegitimate son that I never knew existed and we join together to defeat the evil Magellan Meridian Emperor.

firefighterjake
01-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Make mine a medium rare rib-eye please.

firefighterjake
01-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Started using a Rino 110 and 320 in Iraq, we found the radio to be avg but the use of the GPS and Radio at the same time to use up to many batteries. Now that I am home (Maine) I have found the Rino 530 to have many features that I wish I had in country.

Welcome to geocachingmaine.org Gator . . . I look forward to seeing you find and place some caches in the Spring.

Incidentally, what were you using the GPS units for in Iraq . . . tell me Saddam didn't give you guys coords to his hidden WMDs? :)

Hiram357
01-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I think we need to have a steak and beer drinking event so that everyone can show off their GPS units and brag about which is better :D

firefighterjake
01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
I think we need to have a steak and beer drinking event so that everyone can show off their GPS units and brag about which is better :D

Make mine a Moxie . . . or a Woodchuck Cider.

WhereRWe?
01-03-2006, 08:26 AM

We have had a couple of "Beer & Wings" events in the past, and I assume steak is available. I have no doubt we'll have more in the future... :D :D :D

Zoltarus
01-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I have used both types and they both got me to the cache!

I took back the Garmin after a week because it did not work as well (even when held flat) as the Magellan (when held upright) in dense forest and the Magellan had a bigger screen. I just wish I had dropped the Magellan into the stream before making my final selection (sure 'floating' sounds like a good thing . . . till it floats down stream! Someplace in the fine print under 'waterproof' it must say 'takes about a week to dry out enough to start working again'). Im not looking to upgrade until prices come down.

Lets call the next survey "how are you willing to spend to find $50 worth of dollar store junk?"

Zoltarus

Team2hunt
01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Lets call the next survey "how are you willing to spend to find $50 worth of dollar store junk?"

Zoltarus

OR How far have you driven to find a cache? And at current prices. How much did it cost you?

The Teams: over 325 miles round trip,@ 2.35 per gallon and 15 mpg. That's $ 51.70 for a single cache.

Beach Comber
01-23-2006, 07:40 PM
[quote=Team2hunt]OR How far have you driven to find a cache? And at current prices. How much did it cost you?[quote]

Does it have to be in a single trip? I took many trips to Waterville to find that blasted Old 470.........hmmmmmmmmm..........I calculated the mileage once..........:eek:

Beach Comber
01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
OR How far have you driven to find a cache? And at current prices. How much did it cost you?

Does it have to be in a single trip? I traveled a number of times :o to find that blasted Old 470 in Waterville.........hmmmmmmmmm..........I totalled the mileage once upon a time..........:eek:

Sudonim
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Does it have to be in a single trip? I traveled a number of times :o to find that blasted Old 470 in Waterville.........hmmmmmmmmm..........I totalled the mileage once upon a time..........:eek:

How about the mileage just walking up and down the length of the train? THAT had to add up.....:p