View Full Version : Your best cache of 2005?

y2ksillin
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
This time of year lends itself to reflection and I wonder if I could draw some of you into a discussion about what makes a memorable cache. What was your favorite cache of 2005? What was the most unusual cache feature you ran across in 2005 (location? camo? placement? hints? theme? puzzle? company? title?) I discovered caching this summer when we moved up here to Maine from Virginia and thought it would be a good way to get to know my new neighborhood. Boy has that ever been true. For me, 2005 will be the year I discovered a new and engrossing hobby that I can do with my kids. I did a lot of walking (and driving) around but only placed 1 cache. In 2006 I'd like to think about placing some more caches, but I'd like to move beyond the "box in the woods" even though I've enjoyed all my experiences so far. So what I'd like to hear about is what makes for a great cache. Thanks.

Smitty & Co.
01-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Our best cache for '05' was in N.H. in Knight's Pond Conservation area. It was a micro cleverly disguised as a rock. It was our 100th cache that made it special. Next would have to be the event caches that we attended this year. It gave us the opportunity to put faces with names and make new friends. :)

Hiram357
01-03-2006, 12:23 AM
My favorite of the year was Drum and Bass Arena on top of Soubungee Mt.... navigated up the next to hardest way of the Mt. (but not the hardest up the vertical face of it) bushwhacking the entire time, just to find the cache destroyed by critters. The hike was long and rough but even though the cache wasn't there, the views from on top definitley were. :D

firefighterjake
01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
I haven't been geo-caching long but I would have to say that just about every single cache that I did in Deer Isle-Stonington was great . . . wonderful views and pleasant hikes/walks.

Haffy
01-03-2006, 09:03 AM
There are so many great caches in the state that it is hard to pick just one. I think anyone of Homedezinahs micro caches in the Windham-Westbrook area are a real treat and not your typical hide,Alexanders Challenge is one that comes to mind. Out of all the other so-called traditional caches the multi-cache hide by Smitty & Co. at the Hinkley School Nature Trail is a real winner and it's close to my home as well. And just as FirghterFighterJake has said any cache by Becket on DeerIsland-Stonington is great. I don't think you can go wrong with any cache hide as long as it takes you to a place you wouldn't have gotten to were it not for geocaching and just the friendships that can be made along the way. Just attend a local cache event in the near future and see what I mean. Happy 2006 to all.

Cache Maine
01-03-2006, 03:29 PM
For me, it's the cache events and the memories that are created at these get-togethers. From Rick in tights, to the mystery elephant, to the hicks waiting in the rain for diehard cachers to show up, to the Good Green Door, to shiny new Maine coins, to frogs surviving when buried up to their necks. I could go on and on and on. All of us have different memories of these events. Thanks to all that put forth the effort to get our big caching family together. :)

Cache Maine
01-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I haven't been geo-caching long but I would have to say that just about every single cache that I did in Deer Isle-Stonington was great . . . wonderful views and pleasant hikes/walks.

Three cheers for Becket! :D :D :D

TwoMaineiacs
01-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Joe and I disagree <G> but for him the favorite is "You sank my Battleship" in Bangor due to the fascinating sites it takes you to all over the city. Mine is "Morse Mountain" in Phippsburg as I think it is one of the best places in Maine for a view - ocean to the mountains. We've been to so many great places through geocaching. Thanks to all who have placed them and we sure are looking forward to many more hunts. We're working on placing our first cache soon.

Anne and Joe

tat
01-03-2006, 07:38 PM
The kayak event comes to mind but, when I think of it, there were just too many. I counted 340 logs; finds, dnfs, wrote a note, will attend and attended.

The ones I did with my brother in Montana and Wyoming with his 4x4 are high on the list. Germany and the Uk, were different, but how can measure finally finding Dyslexic and adding Halfmile to the list of dnf caches.

And dnf caches are some of the most fun! Just look at Crop Circles, I'll never get that one! But, then I didn't think I'd get "X-marks the spot, no, honestly" in the UK (3 dhfs!).

Here's to the New Year!

Team2hunt
01-03-2006, 07:39 PM
The best time of 2005 HAD to be our trip to Grand Manan Island New Brunswick Canada. The trip was with KK, Mumsbee and The Old Drone. We cached for two days, in windy and fridgid temps, only stopping to stuff ourselves with, just caught lobsters. The views were spectacular and the pictures memories of a wonderful trip. I will tell this story for years. Even the ride over on the ferry :eek: . Thanks Karen, Wheet and Jerry for the trip, and the company. :D ;) :) :cool:

Beach Comber
01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
It's hard to pick just one for sure - there were so many great spots and fun times. But here are a few that come to mind for either the location or the experience......

Roaring Spout
Etna Bog
A.S.P.
Every event I attended!!

I look forward to what 2006 will bring!!

Yeehawma
01-03-2006, 10:03 PM
For me the best cache of the year has to be "Falls Away". Besides the great view, it opened up my eyes to a lot of things. Since I was visiting my folks and trying to explain the whole geocaching concept, my stepmom wanted to check out the cache that was just over the hill (while supper cooked, mind you). Of course she fell in love with the hunt - 20 years earlier and she'd have been the Queen of Geocaching!
I was a little stressed because of the terrain. Not for myself, but for someone with a recent hip replacement, balance problem and other health ailments. This experience has given me a new outlook and opinion of those urban micros. :D

becket
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
i can't choose just one favorite cache that i did this year, either. i think the cache that challenged me the most, for a lot of reasons, was chipmunk palace. the prettiest ones i found were knowlton's mills, bingham trestle, fort cache and bellamy's treasure (i have loved going to that beach for a long time!) i loved community trail for the totally cool placement, and blue hill loo for the laughs i had doing it. i loved quarry rocks, because that gave me insight to a new friend. i loved before lizzie borden - the place and ffj's awesome telling of the story. i had the coolest lunch of my summer there! brady gang, just because - and that was scary - whatever that was crashing through the woods! all of the events were my favorites, because they gave me a chance to meet so many really nice people who welcomed me unconditionally. i think of all the caches i went to this year, barred island (almost) has to be my most favorite - even if i did put it there. i still can't believe i have lived on this island all these years and just found that beautiful place. sunny, rainy, foggy - it's always beautiful. i may even go see it in the snow.

d’76
01-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Girlmate and I have to say that The Old swimming hole for the cleaver hide, Kayakers Labyrinth for the way we got there and the fact that it is one the same lake as my camp and Brewer By the numbers well because it was just cool and the fact that Mainiac1957 and Haffy where alot of fun,

And blue skys golden dreams was pretty cool.

Like Beachie said the event are great. The weirdos, I mean Crazies, I mean techies, what I really mean are cachers make the whole thing so great, I am a hard guy to get along with and I havent met a cacher that I didn't like yet. We all get togeather and the BS starts rolling and it just gets fun.:D

attroll
01-04-2006, 03:20 AM
For me, it's the cache events and the memories that are created at these get-togethers. From Rick in tights, to the mystery elephant, to the hicks waiting in the rain for diehard cachers to show up, to the Good Green Door, to shiny new Maine coins, to frogs surviving when buried up to their necks. I could go on and on and on. All of us have different memories of these events. Thanks to all that put forth the effort to get our big caching family together. :)

Cameoooooo I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel the exact same way. I enjoy the events and get togethers more then some of the caches.

WhereRWe?
01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
i can't choose just one favorite cache that i did this year, either. i think the cache that challenged me the most, for a lot of reasons, was chipmunk palace. the prettiest ones i found were knowlton's mills, bingham trestle...

I hope you saw the picture of what the Bingham trestle looked like when it was in use. It was really impressive! It was still in existence in the 1950's, and my Dad tells me he's driven over it. :D :D

becket
01-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I hope you saw the picture of what the Bingham trestle looked like when it was in use. It was really impressive! It was still in existence in the 1950's, and my Dad tells me he's driven over it. :D :D

i didn't know there was a picture. i just went to look through the logs and found the one that the g team posted along with their log. that's quite amazing! thank you for letting me know there was a picture!

Kaching Karen
01-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Gary said it well. Grand Manan had to be the highlight of our geocaching of the year. It was fun for my parents because they got to explore the island. In the past, they went to the island to visit relatives, and didn't get out much. It was my first trip to the island, so I wanted to see everything (which wasn't possible).
The other memory that stands out for me is how I met everyone. My cache had the wrong coordinates and I knew that some people were going to meet in Augusta before they headed to ATroll's event. I met them at my cache so they could help me with the coordinates and I ended up hanging out with them all day. I know I'm going to miss someone, but I met Haffy, Maniac1957, Beachcomber, and Noresta at my cache (Savage Park) and then we teamed up with Girlmate and Dave1976. Later that day I met Team2hunt, but he had to remind me about that. :p The rest is history.

noreasta
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow! There were so many, but i must say i have to pick one of my most challenging of the year as well as one of my most scenic.. AWESOME Views! and great area and that would be A.S.P. Well worth the hike.......... And then of course there was a couple of great ones on Deer Isle

WhereRWe?
01-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Sheesh! We found over 300 caches this year, in about 10 states and 4 Canadian provinces! LOL!

We couldn't begin to say which were the best, although obviously the most scenic were in coastsal Maine and Canada.

:D :D

drbugman
01-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Dark :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
It would be easier to count the caches that were not memorable and there weren't enough of those to bother mentioning. The more rewarding caches are the events. Its been great making and meeting new friends. Here's a new number I hope to attain and that is to meet every cacher in the State of Maine. ;)

Happy Caching in 2006!!!!

Cache Maine
01-06-2006, 01:39 AM
Here's a new number I hope to attain and that is to meet every cacher in the State of Maine. ;)

What an awesome idea...

We really really really need a cache event down South...

WhereRWe?
01-06-2006, 07:58 AM
What an awesome idea...

We really really really need a cache event down South...

Hmmm... Beachie? Tat? LOL! :D :D :D

Haffy
01-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Or maybe even Ordinary Shark or T2H? :D :D :D

Beach Comber
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM

I think about this regularly - but haven't been able to pull a plan together. I will say publicly that I will plan something for this year! I am thinking late spring/early summer, but want to check with a couple of other people who have talked about events as well. I will keep you posted.

Beach Comber
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I think about this regularly - but haven't been able to pull a plan together. I will say publicly that I will plan something for this year! I am thinking late spring/early summer, but want to check with a couple of other people who have talked about events as well. I will keep you posted.

:eek: Yikes - did I really say that out loud?

WhereRWe?
01-06-2006, 01:38 PM

We haven't had a beach party or clambake yet! :D :D :D

Cache Maine
01-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Bruce, are you going to do one this month/early February?

attroll
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM

Yes Bruce we need to know as soon as possible. I am filling my weekends in February already. I have something slated for two weekends in February already. So the 4th and the 18th looks like it is out for me.

WhereRWe?
01-06-2006, 03:25 PM

Probably. Probably late February - probably the 25th. Probably will submit it to GC.com next week.

Perhaps.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Beach Comber
01-06-2006, 04:37 PM
We haven't had a beach party or clambake yet! :D :D :D

Hmmmmmmm - a beach party - what fun!!

Mainiac1957
01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Hmmmmmmm - a beach party - what fun!!
Invade your Mother in law on the island.:eek: :eek:

Haffy
01-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Excellent Idea Brad wish I would have thought of it. Long Island here we come :D

tat
01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd like to host the Agamenticus Event cache this year in May.

Is there any interest in a winter camping event, maybe somewhere in western Maine?

I think we should start a new thread, rather than hijack this on! :(

Beach Comber
01-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Invade your Mother in law on the island.:eek: :eek:

She already thinks I have joined a cult. When she heard about geocaching she couldn't figure out what the heck it is all about. Think she would be convinced I did? or convinced otherwise if everyone landed on "The Rock" for an event?

"The Rock" = "The Island" in island speak - we have an alternate language when we are there. I'm not quite sure if it is part of the English language or not - lol

Hiker Twins
01-07-2006, 09:11 AM
I'd like to host the Agamenticus Event cache this year in May.

I would love to go to an Agamenticus Event! Could you make it on one of the weekends in May that I have off (May 13 and May 20)?:)