View Full Version : Check this out....

d’76
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Any one ever call and just check up on your services that you have provided. Well today I did and I suggest all of you do the same. About a year ago I upgraded from dail up to DSL from Verizon. Today I get in the mail a flyer from Verizon that I usually just throw away. Well today I opened it and read it (I dont know why) It was a Personalized profile for my account. While I was reading this I noticed that the info said that I had the very best, HUH I said. I went to see my connection speed and it was at 100 mbps and there best was much higher than that. I called them and found out that since I got DSL they have had many upgrades. So they bottom line is that I was paying 29.99 a month for much less product than they advertise now, After speaking with someone they bumped me to the highest that they have and didnt charge me a cent and my monthly stays the same.:eek:

attroll
01-05-2006, 03:10 AM
Here is a test you can run to see what speed you have.

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

I did mine and I am getting 1519.2KBits / 189.9KBytes.

d’76
01-05-2006, 07:25 AM
this is what I got

1533.2 and 191.6

She said that would double when the upgrades where done

Thats a pretty neat site Rick thanks

The G Team
01-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Here's a site with over 300 bandwidth test sites:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1

It is a good idea to test on several--I would suggest the ones in Maine or at least the East coast--you may find less speed the further away you go.

attroll
01-05-2006, 02:22 PM
this is what I got

1533.2 and 191.6

She said that would double when the upgrades where done

Thats a pretty neat site Rick thanks

I think she is full of crap. If you can double that for $29.99 a month you care getting one hell of a deal. She was probably just trying to shut you up. LOL

The G Team
01-05-2006, 02:35 PM
For $29.99 those are pretty good numbers--that's full T1 down. If you can get 3MB down for the same money, you should dance a jig :D

d’76
01-05-2006, 05:17 PM
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/437f2fcdzbf681590/8638/__sr_/dc51re2.jpg?phoFZvDBZxtt8Wcv

This is where I am at for 30 bucks a month. Yes it is above T1 but not quite double what she said

brdad
01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/437f2fcdzbf681590/8638/__sr_/dc51re2.jpg?phoFZvDBZxtt8Wcv

This is where I am at for 30 bucks a month. Yes it is above T1 but not quite double what she said

So who do we talk to at verizon to complain? Looks like we're paying $30 for the slow stuff too. Actually, I thought we were paying more than $30, but I have to wait for Lee to get home to be sure...

d’76
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
So who do we talk to at verizon to complain? Looks like we're paying $30 for the slow stuff too. Actually, I thought we were paying more than $30, but I have to wait for Lee to get home to be sure...

Call this number but do complain just ask them if they can up grade your service to the current fast dsl since you are paying dsl fees

1-800-688-2880

They have been more than helpful to me and they speak english at that:D

Team2hunt
01-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Here is a test you can run to see what speed you have.

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

I did mine and I am getting 1519.2KBits / 189.9KBytes.

I have dial up and got these #'s 1707.2KBits / 213.4 KBytes
I am an idiot on the computer, but aren't my numbers higher?

WhereRWe?
01-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Hmmm... Anyone else have satellite internet?

I have DirecWay (download only) and got the following from the Verizon Online SpeedTest (seems WAY too high): 7827.8Kbits 978.5KBytes

:confused: :confused: :confused:

J_Cyr
01-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I got 1580.4kbits & 197.6k bytes

But I am also running on a wireless home network router.

The G Team
01-05-2006, 06:57 PM

Try some of the other tests--you cannot get more than 56.6K down with dial-up (actually, the FCC limits it to even less than that), since you have a 56.6 K modem.

On cheap Adelphia, I would expect to see 256K down or less, on "regular" Adelphia, 1 to 4 M down, depending on lots of variables. T1 is 1.5M up AND down.

brdad
01-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Lee called them up and they said they'd get on it. Now we just have to wait...

robt
01-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Any one ever call and just check up on your services that you have provided. Well today I did and I suggest all of you do the same. About a year ago I upgraded from dail up to DSL from Verizon. Today I get in the mail a flyer from Verizon that I usually just throw away. Well today I opened it and read it (I dont know why) It was a Personalized profile for my account. While I was reading this I noticed that the info said that I had the very best, HUH I said. I went to see my connection speed and it was at 100 mbps and there best was much higher than that. I called them and found out that since I got DSL they have had many upgrades. So they bottom line is that I was paying 29.99 a month for much less product than they advertise now, After speaking with someone they bumped me to the highest that they have and didnt charge me a cent and my monthly stays the same.:eek:

Dave, yes they do that often. You were actually very lucky if getting the speed upgrade was that easy. I have fought with verizon several times. The first time I tried to get the advertised speed it took me 6 months to get that upgrade. Now I have been figting them to get the new service level that they now offer and have been told that it is not goingto happen. They have been a big head ache anytime I try to get there service to work up to advertised and that does not count the 1 1/2 just trying to get service with them cause of issues with the phone lines.

d’76
01-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Dave, yes they do that often. You were actually very lucky if getting the speed upgrade was that easy. I have fought with verizon several times. The first time I tried to get the advertised speed it took me 6 months to get that upgrade. Now I have been figting them to get the new service level that they now offer and have been told that it is not goingto happen. They have been a big head ache anytime I try to get there service to work up to advertised and that does not count the 1 1/2 just trying to get service with them cause of issues with the phone lines.

It must be my voice, The woman I talked to sounded hot and I talked to her that way. I had this resolved in about 15 minutes including hold time. And know I can see quite a difference in page loads and downloads.

robt
01-05-2006, 09:32 PM
It must be my voice, The woman I talked to sounded hot and I talked to her that way. I had this resolved in about 15 minutes including hold time. And know I can see quite a difference in page loads and downloads.

They are allways nice and seem to try to help it is just things either do not happen or they come up with an excuse why they will or can not upgrade your service, that is all.

Have you run a speed test on your connection yet?

I have been promised upgrades by the reps many times and had them not happen is all.

Pooh and friends
01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
The Meaning of Slow

2006-01-05 20:41:51 EST: 40 / 22
Your download speed : 40 kbps or 5.1 KB/sec</B>.
Your upload speed : 22 kbps or 2.8 KB/sec.

But it works for GC.com:(

P.S. And that was the high one!!

DiverDave1998
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Mines Flying @ 35.7KBITS 4.5Kbytes Eat Your Hearts out:cool: :) :p

Rabbit&Turtle
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm getting some good numbers here:

3129.9Kbits 391.2KBytes

But it's from work, I'll try from home and see what Adelphia is giving me for my money.... Thanks for the link to that speed test.

brdad
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
It took nearly 24 hours but it worked!
2797.2Kbits 349.7KBytes

d’76
01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
It took nearly 24 hours but it worked!
2797.2Kbits 349.7KBytes

Do you remember what your numbers where before

brdad
01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Do you remember what your numbers where before

A little over 500KBits

Beach Comber
01-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Given what you all are finding, would you consider this new service arrangement good enough to forego Road Runner? I am tired of writing out that freakin' check for too much money every month - it's just not right to pay that much for computer and TV services - ugh!

WhereRWe?
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Given what you all are finding, would you consider this new service arrangement good enough to forego Road Runner? I am tired of writing out that freakin' check for too much money every month - it's just not right to pay that much for computer and TV services - ugh!

If you have a choice between cable and DSL, ALWAYS go with DSL.

(Sheesh! I'd be happy with either, but that's country living for you...)

:D :D

Bluegrass Gyrl
01-07-2006, 09:17 AM
If you have a choice between cable and DSL, ALWAYS go with DSL.

(Sheesh! I'd be happy with either, but that's country living for you...)

:D :D

DSL is not an option for me because we got rid of our land line phone years ago. Our phone bills were cut in half by going 100% cellular (we have lots of family out-of-state) and I always know the amount of the bill every month, no long distance surprises anymore. So, while I, too, grumble about the cable/tv bill I believe I make up for it in the phone bill savings.

WhereRWe?
01-07-2006, 12:37 PM
DSL is not an option for me because we got rid of our land line phone years ago. Our phone bills were cut in half by going 100% cellular (we have lots of family out-of-state) and I always know the amount of the bill every month, no long distance surprises anymore. So, while I, too, grumble about the cable/tv bill I believe I make up for it in the phone bill savings.

Hmmm... Can't you get a DSL line without having a regular telephone account? What do you have - cable modem?

The telephone companies must have some sort of deal they can offer. I know more and more people are dropping their wired phones as cellular is getting cheaper in most cases. (Except in places like Solon, where you can get a cell phone connection only if the weather is clear and the wind is in the right direction...)

robt
01-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Hmmm... Can't you get a DSL line without having a regular telephone account? What do you have - cable modem?

The telephone companies must have some sort of deal they can offer. I know more and more people are dropping their wired phones as cellular is getting cheaper in most cases. (Except in places like Solon, where you can get a cell phone connection only if the weather is clear and the wind is in the right direction...)

No, they lock you in like that, I was thinking about canceling my verizon line and going to a voip option but I would have to go over to cable for my internet cause verizon will not let me have my DSL without my phone line.

WhereRWe?
01-07-2006, 01:23 PM
No, they lock you in like that, I was thinking about canceling my verizon line and going to a voip option but I would have to go over to cable for my internet cause verizon will not let me have my DSL without my phone line.

Sheesh!

Well, I know that when I get DSL (this month???), it will be a lot cheaper than dial-up. I can get rid of the 2d telephone line and save the $35 a month!

:D :D :D

robt
01-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Sheesh!

Well, I know that when I get DSL (this month???), it will be a lot cheaper than dial-up. I can get rid of the 2d telephone line and save the $35 a month!

The DSL is not the expensive part of my phone bill, it is the phone part, I have been really condsidering getting rid of my regular phone line and go over to vontage cause that would cut my bill allmost in 1/2, or I just wait till the suscom sale is complete and see what offer I can get then. Gotta be better then they are now. :) :D :D as for Dialup, Free AOL Dailup from work, only the one phone line but then I am the only one home right now and do not care if anyone can call me. the only problem is it is just way too slow!!!!!!! :D :D :D oh well

DiverDave1998
01-08-2006, 12:41 PM
how do you get internet from your cell phone?
i have been loking to get rid of my land line

robt
01-08-2006, 02:55 PM
how do you get internet from your cell phone?
i have been loking to get rid of my land line

Depending on the cell service where you are you can get a PCMCIA Card that will connect over cellphone service, the problem is it is still rather slow and is really expensive. They are coming up with better options also but for now they are only avaible in major cities and no where is maine. unfortunatly unless you really want to pay for it you only have a choice of cable, DSL, or dialup internet, with the exception of some satalite service which is allso a bit pricey to get into.

brdad
01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Lee was upset her computer wasn't quite up to speed with mine, getting just over 2000 Kbps while I was steady just under 3000 Kbps, with a few tests over 3000.

Anyway, I had allready done some registry tweaks mentioned at http://www.speedguide.net/ on my Win98 machine. So I figured now was a good time to see if it helped any. After adding/editing the entries on her WinMe machine, her numbers are right up there where mine are.

I edited mine by hand, but they have software to do the same thing. I could probably tweak some of the numbers some, but it's stable now and faster than the 500+Kbps we were running with. Plus I have this $&*%&*(%# cold and I can't spend more than 10 minutes without dripping on my keyboard. :eek:

DiverDave1998
01-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I found a wireless connection that is supose to be fater then dsl i will find out next week whe they hook me in

robt
01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I found a wireless connection that is supose to be fater then dsl i will find out next week whe they hook me in

Dave, what one is that. I might be interested.

WhereRWe?
01-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Dave, what one is that. I might be interested.

There are several companies in Maine that offer better-than-DSL wireless internet access. Here's a list (http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/ME.html).

brdad
01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
There are several companies in Maine that offer better-than-DSL wireless internet access. Here's a list (http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/ME.html).

Wow, a couple of those places are pricey! $1500 setup and $500 a month for 1000Kbps? Looks like a few are trying to make some big profit before there's too much competition. But, that's the American way. I guess the term "better than DSL" is relative. I'm glad I'm not living in Granola Valley anymore.

I know Bangor announced some wireless internet they were going to provide, I think they said $9 an hour by the hour, other rates for longer terms.

d’76
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
So just for giggles I went out on the web and found some of those other test sites and they all came back different so who the hell knows. I dont all I know its faster than dialup

robt
01-17-2006, 09:31 PM
So just for giggles I went out on the web and found some of those other test sites and they all came back different so who the hell knows. I dont all I know its faster than dialup

Dave thoose sites will very depended on where they are located in realation to your isp, the demand on their servers and internet trafic. I usually will check the one my isp as the most accurate cause it is the one that most ISP's will consider as a good messurment. Most every ISP does not gaurentee any speed other then the speed on their network only and does not consider any speed issues that you could find after you leave that network if they consider speed at all.

Haffy
01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Robt,what the heck are you talking about anyway?...lol And while you're at it did you ever consider using the spellchecker here? It is the ABC with the check mark on the upper right hand corner of the composition page.:D

d’76
01-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Dave thoose sites will very depended on where they are located in realation to your isp, the demand on their servers and internet trafic. I usually will check the one my isp as the most accurate cause it is the one that most ISP's will consider as a good messurment. Most every ISP does not gaurentee any speed other then the speed on their network only and does not consider any speed issues that you could find after you leave that network if they consider speed at all.

So I find it ironic that the best speeds I get are with Verizon my ISP. I wonder if they fudge the numbers to make them look better and keep me happier:confused:

robt
01-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey Robt,what the heck are you talking about anyway?...lol And while you're at it did you ever consider using the spell checker here? It is the ABC with the check mark on the upper right hand corner of the composition page.:D

Well Haffy, I wrote you a really long detailed explanation of my last post and then tried to use the spell check and lost my whole post.... :) well it is late and I will see if I can send it out tomorrow if I can. oh well it was really log and dry anyway :)

robt
01-17-2006, 11:17 PM
So I find it ironic that the best speeds I get are with Verizon my ISP. I wonder if they fudge the numbers to make them look better and keep me happier:confused:

No Dave, it is not that they are fudging the numbers, it is that they are closer to you and are not going over the backbone of the INTERNET. It may also be cause of server load of some sites. The thing is at some point every hyway gets enough people traveling on it that it gets congested and slows down. What is true for a hyway and cars is the same for data traveling down a wire. Most service providers do not trouble shoot anything that is outside their individual network cause it is outside their control, verizon does not control the major networks or INTERNET backbone that connects all providers together. This is controlled by large data carries like Level3, MCI and other carriers that make up the INTERNET backbone.

I tried to write up a more detailed explanation but lost it in trying to spell check, if I get time latter I will try to post a better explanation if anyone is interested.

robt

Slate
01-18-2006, 09:33 AM
And while you're at it did you ever consider using the spellchecker here? It is the ABC with the check mark on the upper right hand corner of the composition page.:D
Hey, I think I am getting gypped here. I don't have that button using Firefox.

attroll
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey, I think I am getting gypped here. I don't have that button using Firefox.

I found that Firefox does not ahow all the button that IE does. I use IE for that reason.