View Full Version : Garmin launches the new “X”-treme series handheld gps

robt
01-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Well as expected the new X serisies GPS's are finnally listed on the Garmin Website so it is offical now. I have been looking at the specs and I have to say that the 60 csx might just get me to convert from my magellan over to the Garmin camp.

So far The 60 csx seems to be a really nice unit but is winning only cause of hte size. The 2 points that the 76 Series is better in thoug are. 1, it floats, 2. that it includes a larger memory card by default (easaly corrected by replacing the card). The screens and features seem to be the same other than thoose 3 differances and I think that the smaller overall size would be a big advantage.

Here are the links to Garmin's Specs

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76csx/

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cx/

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx/

I figured that this might spark a little conversation.

WhereRWe?
01-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I think any "serious" geocacher looking to upgrade their unit needs to get one of these. I bought a 60c in the spring so I can't justify the upgrade right now, but if I were still using the eTrex Legend, I'd have one of these on order.

I am really excited about the "X" versions, which use the new SiRF chip.

:D :D :D

robt
01-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I think any "serious" geocacher looking to upgrade their unit needs to get one of these. I bought a 60c in the spring so I can't justify the upgrade right now, but if I were still using the eTrex Legend, I'd have one of these on order.

I am really excited about the "X" versions, which use the new SiRF chip.

:D :D :D

I know, I am just waiting till I can fit it into my budget then I will be putting my merdian up for sale and getting the 60 csx I think.

I was using TAT's 76c over the holidays and was very impressed with it and now that they have the memory card option I am very impressed

d’76
01-09-2006, 11:26 AM
I was just checking out the garmin website and realize that the X series is only about 35 dollars more than the old one. I cant imagine not spending the 35 dollars to buy better. Always buy up. I wish I had waited now. I bet we see a whole bunch of garmins going on sale here soon. I would consider selling mine to upgrade if the price was right:D

DiverDave1998
01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
wonders who will be the first to have a 76csx

it will be like a first to find

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
For Sale: One slightly used left arm (would sell my left leg but who the
heck needs two left feet). This is a must have for all
those who just need an extra hand. Or trade for Garmin 60csx
or 76csx. Can throw in an old eTrex (yellow edition) to make
things even. :eek:

I can't say I'll be the first but I will have one of the new Garmin x series GPSr for the summer, I hope,:rolleyes: . Although I found my first 389 caches with Old yellow so its kind of hard to tell the wife I need the new GPSr. Want and need, need and want. Sometimes its sooooo hard to differentiate. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: Why, why do they do these things to us????????;)

DiverDave1998
01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
just my luck you can't get one till the end of jan.

J_Cyr
01-09-2006, 06:56 PM
I just bought my 60cs too this summer. I'm gonna have to hold off for a few years with my 60cs. I couldn't be happier though, I like it.

robt
01-09-2006, 09:49 PM
For Sale: One slightly used left arm (would sell my left leg but who the
heck needs two left feet). This is a must have for all
those who just need an extra hand. Or trade for Garmin 60csx
or 76csx. Can throw in an old eTrex (yellow edition) to make
things even. :eek:

I can't say I'll be the first but I will have one of the new Garmin x series GPSr for the summer, I hope,:rolleyes: . Although I found my first 389 caches with Old yellow so its kind of hard to tell the wife I need the new GPSr. Want and need, need and want. Sometimes its sooooo hard to differentiate. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: Why, why do they do these things to us????????;)

Hmm, justifcation, I am glad I do not need that :) :D :D

As for that though you could allways try that the new GPS is alot more accurate so I would be able to spend less time searching for a cache and more time enjoying her company. :D :D

firefighterjake
01-10-2006, 09:51 AM
TRF . . . you have mail . . . specifically an e-mail from me . . . sorry to say however that I did not send along a new Garmin GPSr for you though.

d’76
02-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I was so excited to hear about the new Garmin X series that I almost sold off the little woman to go get one. I'm glad I didnt. I was checking out some of the threads in gc.com and many many people are having trouble. So for now I will keep the trusty 60c and wait for some good news to come of them.

Sorry folks it's not a perfect world.:D

WhereRWe?
02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I was so excited to hear about the new Garmin X series that I almost sold off the little woman to go get one. I'm glad I didnt. I was checking out some of the threads in gc.com and many many people are having trouble. So for now I will keep the trusty 60c and wait for some good news to come of them.

I've got a 60c as well, and I like it so much I'll wait for a couple more generations of improvements before I upgrade! :D :D

Slate
02-21-2006, 03:05 PM
I wish I could justify upgrading my 60c. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out with future firmware updates. Older versions for the 60c had some problems too. I would love to have a 60csx. With a 512 meg sd card I could have all the maps I would ever want loaded and never have to mess around with loading map set anymore. The satellite reception sounds amazing. If these things get a good satellite lock inside, I'm sure tree cover isn't a problem at all.

maybe if my 60c "accidentally" suffered and untimely demise I wouldn't feel guilty upgrading.:rolleyes:

robt
02-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Sorry folks it's not a perfect world.:D

What kind of issues are they having???

Slate
02-21-2006, 03:55 PM
There have been a lot of complaints about battery life, and problems with lithium batteries. Other than that it seems like it is a bunch of little bugs and unusual problems. There are a ton of different discussions about them in the Groundspeak forums.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11 (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11)

d’76
02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Slate beat me to it

Slate
02-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Slate beat me to it
Sorry Dave.

kayakerinme
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
My new unit arrived late last week. There was a notice in the box that there was an issue with lithium batteries and battery life (which I knew about from the forums). I use Energizer NIMH rechargeables so that has not been an issue. I've had the unit out on the road and haven't had any issues. It works really well! I have been using a Etrex Vista C. My only issue is the silly buttons - they're all different from the Vista. I spent about 10 minutes trying to find out how to drop a waymark only to resort to the manual... and then feel really silly when I found out how. I haven't done any geocaching with it yet but probably will this upcoming weekend. In general, the +/- accuracy is smaller when I have the two units side-by-side. It also starts up more quickly. I do like the tide feature that I will use kayaking. I'll have it with me at the WWWWW event if anyone wants to see it.

Slate
02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I have the tide charts on my 60c, it's a great feature. I would be interested to see what you think of the reception under tree cover once you get a chance to get out geocaching with it.

Whoo-hoo post #100.

d’76
02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I have the tide charts on my 60c, it's a great feature. I would be interested to see what you think of the reception under tree cover once you get a chance to get out geocaching with it.

Whoo-hoo post #100.

Congrats on 100 post. To the next 100

robt
02-21-2006, 05:15 PM
hmm, well with a little luck my schedule might change and then I could go to the event this weekend and see it. But then I am not counting on it yet, I just volenteeredto change my days off but my boss does not seem to be overly thrilled about the idea either.,..... :( but that is life as we know it.

Hiram357
02-21-2006, 06:58 PM
AHHHHHH!!! I DON"T KNOW IF I SHOULD GET IT OR CUT UP MY CREDIT CARD BEFORE I DO!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Team2hunt
02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
I will take kayakerinme caching this weekend up towards the event. We'll see who's better. You and your new shiny thing. Or me and my navigator with our " Old Trusty" etrex and Vista. LOL :rolleyes: Be careful I don't push you down and take it.

WhereRWe?
02-22-2006, 07:47 AM
I spent some time following the geocaching.com thread on this, and have to ask a question.

What "basepoint" do they use when they're talking about "accuracy"?

I've had a lot of comments about one of my caches - that the coordinates are 30-50 feet off. Yet I've rechecked it several timnes, and my supposedly-accurate 60c has it within 2 feet consistently.

If these guys talking about "accuracy" of their units, and are using someone elses cahce coordinates to go by, who is to say that the original coordinates aren't off to begin with?

After all, a stopped watch is correct twice a day! :D :D :D

I've been thinking of establishing a "reference point" cache (something I've seen several times in Canada), with the cooridnates extablished by a professional surveyer with coordinates a lot more accurate than we can get with handhelds.

Any comments?

kayakerinme
02-22-2006, 10:34 AM
I, too, have followed some of those conversations and they seem to go 'round and 'round.

I don't know how a GPSr determines its accuracy. Nor, I suspect, would I stay awake for the explanation. Anecdotaly I can say that the alleged +/- value of the 76CSx has been smaller than the Vista C.

That said, I got this unit for three reasons (in order): auto-routing, tides, and the hope that under tree cover or in cities I'd have fewer lost receptions and less bouncing. A larger map memory was partially a consideration but I can live with what the eTrex provides.

Note that accuracy is not on the list. With goecaching I don't have any control over the waypoint that is dropped by the person placing the cache. As has been said, what fun would it be if we all had 5-decimal place accuracy?

As for creating the reference waypoint, if I went to it and found my GPSr was off by some measure, how would that knowledge help me?

robt
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I spent some time following the geocaching.com thread on this, and have to ask a question.

What "basepoint" do they use when they're talking about "accuracy"?

I've had a lot of comments about one of my caches - that the coordinates are 30-50 feet off. Yet I've rechecked it several timnes, and my supposedly-accurate 60c has it within 2 feet consistently.

If these guys talking about "accuracy" of their units, and are using someone elses cahce coordinates to go by, who is to say that the original coordinates aren't off to begin with?

After all, a stopped watch is correct twice a day! :D :D :D

I've been thinking of establishing a "reference point" cache (something I've seen several times in Canada), with the cooridnates extablished by a professional surveyer with coordinates a lot more accurate than we can get with handhelds.

Any comments?

We allready do have a way to check that, it is a benchmark on the GC.com site.

WhereRWe?
02-22-2006, 03:58 PM
We allready do have a way to check that, it is a benchmark on the GC.com site.

I thought of that, but I figure a "benchmark" established with GPS system would be more appropriate (accurate?) than a bench mark established 50-60 years ago with a transit and tape. LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

robt
02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I thought of that, but I figure a "benchmark" established with GPS system would be more appropriate (accurate?) than a bench mark established 50-60 years ago with a transit and tape. LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hmm, I did not think of that, I was just thinking that it the navy uses them on the base to callibrate aircraft that they would be considered accurate.

WhereRWe?
02-22-2006, 06:19 PM
hmm, I did not think of that, I was just thinking that it the navy uses them on the base to callibrate aircraft that they would be considered accurate.

Are we talking about the same type of "benchmark"??? :confused: :confused:

becket
02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
i'm not sure, either, what type of benchmarks you are talking about. the ones i have found have mostly been way off. but they sure are fun to find. too bad they don't count. oh, right, the numbers don't count. lol

WhereRWe?
02-23-2006, 08:23 AM
i'm not sure, either, what type of benchmarks you are talking about. the ones i have found have mostly been way off. but they sure are fun to find. too bad they don't count. oh, right, the numbers don't count. lol

Benchmarks (those established by the National Geodetic Survey) are reported in Geocaching.com, but do not count as "cache finds" - they're listed separately.

More here (http://www.geocaching.com/mark/).

Slate
02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I have always been amazed how accurate benchmarks are considering the limitations of how they were placed. Imagine setting a benchmark on some remote Maine mountain top 80 years ago.

robt
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Are we talking about the same type of "benchmark"??? :confused: :confused:

One of the benchmarks is the compas flower used to calibrate aircraft on BNAS's runway. I am sure that there are more of them at other airports but that is just the one I know of.

mainesurveyor
02-25-2006, 03:09 PM
If you want to 'compare' the coord's you get with your GPSr all you have to do is look for horizontal control points from the NGS web site and then stand over one. As far as the precision with with the 'benchmarks' are located...I was a geodetic surveyer for the US Army (1981-1985) and, although dependent upon the order of precision required, we routinely set new control stations (horiz) to within a few centimeters. Even back a couple hundred years surveyors were setting monuments that were located more precisely on the face of the earth than rec GPSr's can locate today! George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Lewis & Clark, etc. The list goes on and on. For a fact, though, I'd much rather be surveying today with modern instruments and GPS. I digress....

As far as comparing to "known points" I'm not sure what good it will do because recreational grade GPSr are only going to give you a best case position within a few meters. You may get the same coordinates multiple times as WhereAreWe? said (that's "accuracy" of the GPSr) but that doesn't mean the coordinates are "correct" (precision). Comparison to a known point will give you an answer if you think there's something wrong with your GPSr though. I'm sure everyone has stood in one place and watched the relative accuracy read-out on the GPSr go from 20' to 12' to 40', etc. The position is a function of satellite geometry and satellite health at different times during the day. When I go out to do a GPS project I'll use mission planning software that will let me see the best times during the day to perform observations based on location, obstructions, etc.

The best solution is for most people is occupation times. Make sure you are receiving the WAAS satellite for a differential correction and just wait a few minutes for an averaged position. My etrex doesn't actually tell me it's averaging but the Magellans I've seen tell you it's 'averaging'.

What do the new Garmins read-out (60 & 76 series) when you're "averaging"?

WhereRWe?
02-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm often wrong when I open my big mouth, but don't we have some spirited discussions? LOL!

I still want one of the "more accurate" X-series Garmins. :D :D :D

mainesurveyor
02-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I love the discussions...I know y'all don't know me very well but I have a tough hide. I'm not taking anything said personally...unless I get compliments, of course. I just like to add some detailed input to a discussion. Sorry if it gets a little in-depth sometimes.:cool:

This is a great board and a great pasttime. I hope to get out a lot more this year.

Feel free to move this portion of the post to a new thread but I've hesitated to do caching this winter because I was concerned about the snow (not that we've had much this winter). What are cacher's thoughts about trails in the snow to the caches and the no longer snow covered 'pile of sticks'?:confused:

tat
02-26-2006, 09:41 AM
This is the perfect winter to cache! We've had so little snow that most caches are easy to spot.

By the way, I almost emailed you regarding this post because I was sure you would know exactly how benchmarks worked.

Haffy
02-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I love the discussions...I know y'all don't know me very well but I have a tough hide. I'm not taking anything said personally...unless I get compliments, of course. I just like to add some detailed input to a discussion. Sorry if it gets a little in-depth sometimes.:cool:

This is a great board and a great pasttime. I hope to get out a lot more this year.

Feel free to move this portion of the post to a new thread but I've hesitated to do caching this winter because I was concerned about the snow (not that we've had much this winter). What are cacher's thoughts about trails in the snow to the caches and the no longer snow covered 'pile of sticks'?:confused:

I think the lack of snow this winter has really been a non-issue but even when we have more snow, the winter time is one of the best times in my opinion to go caching. No bugs for one thing,lack of muggles most of the time,even with tracking foot prints through the snow unless you are the FTF most cachers that I know of will create false foot prints all over the place to confuse the next cachers hunting for it...:D I also usually bring a pokey stick to poke around under those telltale pile of snow laden humps . That familiar thud or clink will tell you if the cache is there. To me walking down a beautiful snow laden trail with boughs hung with that fresh white stuff,what can be better or more beautiful. JMO Any others?

Team2hunt
02-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Just having come back from a "real winter" place, Quebec. It was beautiful with 3 feet of snow on the ground. We even found a reg cache that we had to snowshoe to. Like Haffy being out in the winter is a wonderful almost magical time. All quiet and clean and crisp. Oh by the way. Crisp in french is.....darn near impossible bone chilling cold with a wind whippin off the St.Lawrence Seaway at 20 degrees below zero, COLD. It's tough to enjoy the cache when your freezin your.....fingers off. Glad that we were back in Maine, we did Goodwill-Hinckley in 30 degree weather. And enjoyed the walk in the woods. Ahhhh.. a Maine winter. :) :)

Mainiac1957
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
The only problem I've run into caching this winter is with caches frozen in. With all the rain and then cold following they seem to get adhered to the ground a lot of the time. We went caching a few weeks ago in the snow at 14 degrees and it was great. Dress for it and all is good.