View Full Version : Using GSAK

Haffy
01-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Don't know how many of the members in here use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) but there now is a specific forum by Clyde, the developer of GSAK, to answer any questions about it here:

http://www.gsak.net/board/

Maybe a good subject for a poll too would be how many members do use GSAK?

Gob-ler
01-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I have been using it for almost two years. Great program that does it all from the geocaching perspective. I also use cachemate for my paperless caching.

It makes it easy to keep track of not only the caches, but First to Finds too.;)

Cache on!

Hiram357
01-10-2006, 09:45 PM
is the forum confusing???? cuz i'm still tryin to figure out how to use the darn program :confused: :rolleyes:

Haffy
01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Just post a question and I'm sure someone, if not Clyde himself will be happy to help you out.

Hiram357
01-10-2006, 09:54 PM
by posting a question... do you mean hear or on the website?? what color post-it note should i use??? last week i used a yellow post it and stuck it right in the middle of my screen... it stayed there for a whole week with no response, i finally got tired of trying to see through it while i was typing and took it off.... :o

TeamAfrofish
01-11-2006, 01:29 AM
I figured I'd let everyone know how/why I use GSAK currently. I'd love to know how/why other people use it.

I generally use it to import pocket queries from geocaching.com. I have one for the York area and one for the Portland area and use GSAK to combine them and eliminate duplicates. If needed, I update our Garmin Vista C with the waypoints. I will then export the database as a GSX file and use Spinner on it to create web pages I can then import into the Palm via Plucker.

I haven't had much trouble using GSAK. One thing I have noticed with my whole paperless process is that if the GSX file contains more than a couple hundred caches, the Plucker process takes forever to run (with 3 levels of links set).

I'm sure there are 100 other uses for it. What are some of the most useful that others are using?

Team Afrofish

WhereRWe?
01-11-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm sure there are 100 other uses for it. What are some of the most useful that others are using?

Team Afrofish

I like it because it's so versatile. You can do any geocaching function with it. Import pocket queries, manipulate the data any way you want, export it to your GPS, Palm, Laptop maps (it supports almost any mapping software), etc.

I also like the way you can create filters to pull out any range of caches to export, delete, etc.

If there's anything I need to do with geocaching data that isn't included in GSAK, I haven't found it yet...

Sabby
01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I love it for its ability to get caches within a few miles of a line. I get pocket queries for southern VT, southern NH, and areas around Portland and Waterville. Since I travel a lot between NY and ME, I have saved line searches of the routes I use most frequently. I search for all caches within 5 miles of my planned route and save them to a trip database. Then I add searches for all the caches within 30 miles of Portland and Waterville. Everything gets sent to the GPS and to a Cachemate file for the Palm. With the GPS in the car operating on the 12 v. adapter I just watch for the caches to appear on screen and decide if I want to stop.

WhereRWe?
01-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I love it for its ability to get caches within a few miles of a line. I get pocket queries for southern VT, southern NH, and areas around Portland and Waterville. Since I travel a lot between NY and ME, I have saved line searches of the routes I use most frequently. I search for all caches within 5 miles of my planned route and save them to a trip database. Then I add searches for all the caches within 30 miles of Portland and Waterville. Everything gets sent to the GPS and to a Cachemate file for the Palm. With the GPS in the car operating on the 12 v. adapter I just watch for the caches to appear on screen and decide if I want to stop.

I agree. We did this when we went to Illinois this summer, and it was great, only I filtered for caches within 2 miles of our route as we didn't have a lot of time to stop and search.

Can't beat GSAK! LOL! :D :D

TeamAfrofish
01-11-2006, 10:26 PM
I have wanted the ability to filter for caches within a few miles of a route. We drove down to Philadelphia a few months back and I ran some pocket queries around certain areas I knew we'd be stopping but I know we drove by I don't know how many that would have been great to stop at.

Do you just run a bunch of pocket queries along the route and then use GSAK to do the filtering to export?

I know that GSAK exports directly to cachemate but unfortunately I don't use that one.

Any fans of using cachemate over Spinner/Plucker?

Thanks for giving something interesting to try!

WhereRWe?
01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I have wanted the ability to filter for caches within a few miles of a route. We drove down to Philadelphia a few months back and I ran some pocket queries around certain areas I knew we'd be stopping but I know we drove by I don't know how many that would have been great to stop at.

Do you just run a bunch of pocket queries along the route and then use GSAK to do the filtering to export?

Do you have Delorme's Street Atlas on your computer? That's what I used.

1. I ran a series of pocket queries along the route I was going to take.
2. Loaded the data into GSAK.
3. Went to Street Atlas and selected coordinates along the route.
4. Went back to GSAK and clicked on search/filter/acc-poly. Added the coordinates I'd selected - using a distance of 2 miles (3km).
5. This resulted in a file of caches along the route, which I then added to Street Atlas so I could see them.
6. Also exported the file to GPSr and PDA.

It seems complex, but once you've done it, it isn't bad.

TeamAfrofish
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply! I think the last version of Street Atlas I have is version 5 which is kind of old now. OK, really old. I'll try it out with that version and see if it works. I'm wondering if it will even work in XP. I know that the version of Delorme Topo I have wasn't too psyched about working in XP, even with the service pack.

It may be time to update my PC's mapping software to keep up with the little handheld I have. I know Garmin's City Select certainly doesn't offer too much for its PC version. I've only found it to be helpful to load up the maps.

I see that Garmin released a new version of the Vista C: the Vista Cx which takes external memory cards now. That is something that makes so much sense it is scary. Why only be able to load up maps of part of New England when you can load up the whole Eastern US with a big enough memory card. 98% of the time the local area is fine but when you hit the road, that's another story.

WhereRWe?
01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reply! I think the last version of Street Atlas I have is version 5 which is kind of old now. OK, really old. I'll try it out with that version and see if it works. I'm wondering if it will even work in XP. I know that the version of Delorme Topo I have wasn't too psyched about working in XP, even with the service pack.

It may be time to update my PC's mapping software to keep up with the little handheld I have. I know Garmin's City Select certainly doesn't offer too much for its PC version. I've only found it to be helpful to load up the maps.

I see that Garmin released a new version of the Vista C: the Vista Cx which takes external memory cards now. That is something that makes so much sense it is scary. Why only be able to load up maps of part of New England when you can load up the whole Eastern US with a big enough memory card. 98% of the time the local area is fine but when you hit the road, that's another story.

I have Windows XP and have no problems with Street Atlas 2005 (Version 5)

I have Garmin's City Select and agree that it is no use on the computer - except for picking which maps to load on the GPS. (Which is a pain, but as you mentioned, the new GPSr's with removable memory cards would be great). GPS has routing capability, City Select is FANTASTIC.