and

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/01/17/geocaching.prosecution.ap/

Mainiac1957
01-19-2006, 05:18 PM
That is amazing, and scarey to boot.:eek:

WhereRWe?
01-19-2006, 05:33 PM
That is amazing, and scarey to boot.:eek:

Sheesh! They call geocaching a "fad"??? The poor guy was arrested for "placing debris on public property"??? :eek:

We need to educate these people! ;)

(And yes, a terrorist COULD place a bomb in a "geocache", but I'd bet there isn't enough potential "terror" in such a location to make it worth their while.)

J_Cyr
01-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't concern yourself. I can't say this on the record, but for them to think its a terroist act --- someone was doing something stupid, if it was the officer or the person at the cache ---

Thats why I like doing it secretly -- I do not like caches in town where dozens of people are watching you. I like the ones out in the country -- thw walk in the woods, the explore through the wild... anyone else feel the same way?

Haffy
01-19-2006, 07:07 PM
And besides who the heck are they kidding? Idaho of all places...lol:eek:

WhereRWe?
01-19-2006, 07:51 PM
And besides who the heck are they kidding? Idaho of all places...lol:eek:

Yeah, it could be Maine! :eek: :eek:

Smitty & Co.
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I do not like caches in town where dozens of people are watching you. I like the ones out in the country -- thw walk in the woods, the explore through the wild... anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, sure do!! :D

Beach Comber
01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Oh great - I can expect another round of interrogation by family and friends who think I partake in a life threatening activity or perhaps even have joined a cult.

J_Cyr
01-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Thats good to hear. This isn't directed to anyone, but my two cents in general -- if you place a cache in a town where any time of the day people can see what your doing then you should choose a new location. I mean, if its a "place" where you choose you want to hide a cache, I think you should be able to hide the actual cache far enough away from the roads or public where people won't be asking questions and also have thier eyes on you.

I know if I ever did a cache in town where a police officer pulled a gun on me it would be my last cache. Being in a criminal justice degree and a fire fighter, I have alot of friends that are police officers and they would agree that taking out thier gun for such a act is wrong.

You are suppose to withdraw your weapon if you feel you or another is in danger of your own or someone else's life. The police officer 'thought' they were planting a bomb or whatnot and to me, didn't have much common sense of thinking before acting.

For someone to even think about someone with a GPS in thier hands and maybe a travel bug in town would be placing a bomb or whatnot is ligit then those are the type of people that should not be wearing a badge. My best bet, is the guy looking for the cache was called in by a motorist who was driving by and figured thats what it must be, because its obvious that guy is a terroist... because he has a GPS?

Geocaching is a fun and enjoying sport and if taking caches out of busy areas and towns is what it's going to take for acts like this to stop then that would be the best bet. At the same time, I understand geocaching is growing every day with new people hiding and finding but by placing a cache in town is not the way people should find out about the new sport. Again, I am just expression my opinion and this is not directed to anyone or in favor or anyone, but just how I feel about it.

Hiram357
01-19-2006, 09:11 PM
i saw a picture of where he put the cache on CNN.com, and personally i think the guy came down with a case of stupid that day 1) because he put the cache ON A BRIDGE.... its clearly defined on GC.COM where not to put caches, if you don't know what i'm talking about i suggest you go read 2) he put the cache UNDER the BRIDGE, where it would obviously require some tricky handy work climbing down to it... oh yeah, it mentioned that the bridge spanned over RAPIDS :confused: :confused: :confused:

firefighterjake
01-20-2006, 07:26 AM
My thoughts . . .

-- Of the two news sources I would be more inclined to believe the CNN report as it seems more credible and less sensational. For example, it never mentions any law enforcement officers drawing a handgun to almost "blow" away the geo-cacher. Other aspects of the story in the Inquirer seem to be a bit over-the-top.

-- Like Hiram I'm wondering if this geo-cacher read the "rules." I think it's fairly clear that certain places are off-limits . . . i.e. schools, airports, etc. At other times it just doesn't make sense to place a cache in a location where there might be trouble (i.e. near a police station, bridge, etc.) Incidentally, I'm quite surprised with the location at the Bangor International Airport . . . I suppose it might be far enough away, but nevertheless I have often wondered if the folks in the Tower ever wonder what folks are doing wandering around that area . . .

-- Quite a bit of this story seems to have come from the geo-cacher's point of view and not law enforcement. As an example . . . it is the opinion of the geo-cacher and perception that the police officers had their hands on their handguns and "I think they were worried I was a guy going for a detonator." Maybe it's me, but I didn't see any quotes or information from the folks from the other side as to what they were thinking.

-- I also agree with J Cyr to a point. I personally do not enjoy doing geo-caches in public areas where you have to be discreet or risk folks being suspicious of you and thinking you are engaged in some illicit activity. However, while I prefer straight-forward caches in the country and out of the way locales I have seen some good caches done in the cities . . . cleverly hidden in parks, forested areas and even near a main drag (think locomotive!) I guess my belief is that geo-cachers who hide in these public areas need to be very careful with the hiding place (away from prying eyes) and the container (able to be hidden extremely well and at the same time clearly marked as a geo-caching container -- this is one time when a 50 caliber ammo can hidden under a pile of stacked sticks in middle of a popular park would not be appropriate.)

TwoMaineiacs
01-20-2006, 09:17 AM
We once did a cache at a fascinating site but it included a large FAA air tracking station. I was looking over my shoulder the entire time waiting for the feds to swoop in. I still think we had to have been on camera. And if we weren't we should have been as this could be an easily vandalized site that would affect air traffic over Maine.

Yesterday was challenging enough trying to be discreete in the middle of running dogs <G>

Anne

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-20-2006, 09:38 AM
I have done some awesome urban caches as well as remote caches. Some of the fun in the urban caches are retrieving it while folks are nearby. As matter of fact the only time I was "apprehended/questioned" was by the Madison police while searching for a cache in a remote area (Big Box of Books (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e03c908d-be69-47b6-94e2-d4abc177b2be)). They too approached me with caution, as they should, and they asked me to explain myself, which I obviously did and they explained to me that the area the cache was in was frequented sometimes by rowdy crowds. Common sense and prudence go a long way when hiding caches and locating them. I have hidden one cache in a public park/recreational area ("Multi" in a Mile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=224659d0-436d-4938-8dc3-2950534b357e)) and made sure not only to get permission but to make sure the manager knew where the cache was hidden and what was in it and gave him a brochure on geocaching along with my home phone number.
The person who hid the ammo box on a bridge not only ignored gc.com guidelines but apparently left common sense behind, if he had any. I wouldn't walk into Wal-Mart carrying an ammo box never mind trying to hide one on a bridge. That was plain stupid and that persons criticism of the police are without merit.
I don't think the incident on the bridge is a good argument to not hide or search for urban micros as some of these caches contribute a lot to geocaching over all (Bucksport...Who Knew? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d640cf78-65a5-4025-85bd-4cc6cd1bb940)) is a good example.

Happy Caching!!!!!!

dí76
01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh great - I can expect another round of interrogation by family and friends who think I partake in a life threatening activity or perhaps even have joined a cult.

Well Judy,

Havent you joined a cult. I here about the websites that you visit. Life threatening.... Come on what are yo telling them. I would call a cache in Portland life threatening, I have seen the people that hang around Portland:D

dí76
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
All I can say is "DUHHHH" on both parties. The cacher and the law enforcement. I respect law enforcement to the fullest and beleive that they are grossly underpaid for putting there life and there families at rick. However, to assume the "postion and ready" your firearm because you think something may happen you are asking for trouble. I mean at that point you would have to draw your fire arm at almost any traffic stop because you would have to assume it was dangerous. Now the cacher should be shot, however it should be bye a fellow cacher for him being so stupid. follow the rules or it is going to just be a matter of time before the government strong arms us into complying to something else that they beleive they have control over. So lets use some common sense and keep the sport alive.

Here is a link at GC.com that reminds me bad judgement aswell

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120259

J_Cyr
01-20-2006, 12:23 PM
life and there families at rick.

I agree, they do put thier lifes and familes at rick! Thanks alot rick. lol.

I agree though and I bet the officer got a good talking to with hie supervisor when he got back to the PD.

firefighterjake
01-20-2006, 12:53 PM
I have done some awesome urban caches as well as remote caches. Some of the fun in the urban caches are retrieving it while folks are nearby. As matter of fact the only time I was "apprehended/questioned" was by the Madison police while searching for a cache in a remote area (Big Box of Books (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e03c908d-be69-47b6-94e2-d4abc177b2be)). They too approached me with caution, as they should, and they asked me to explain myself, which I obviously did and they explained to me that the area the cache was in was frequented sometimes by rowdy crowds.

Hmmm . . . must have took one look at you and figured you to be in with the rowdy sort of crowd, huh? I tell ya those cops have got us firefighters figured out to a T. :)

firefighterjake
01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't walk into Wal-Mart carrying an ammo box never mind trying to hide one on a bridge.

How about walking around The Hannaford in the Elm Plaza in Waterville and greeting complete strangers while wearing a ski mask? I only mention this because this actually happened to me two weeks ago . . . there was this guy inside the Hannaford walking around, greeting folks with a "Hi" and a "How are ya?" while wearing a ski mask.

dí76
01-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I agree, they do put thier lifes and familes at rick! Thanks alot rick. lol.

I agree though and I bet the officer got a good talking to with hie supervisor when he got back to the PD.

Risk Risk Risk

Jesshhhh, Its friday give a guya brak:D

Beach Comber
01-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Well Judy,

Havent you joined a cult. I here about the websites that you visit. Life threatening.... Come on what are yo telling them. I would call a cache in Portland life threatening, I have seen the people that hang around Portland:D

I actually belong to a couple of cults - lol

Smitty & Co.
01-20-2006, 06:56 PM
How about walking around The Hannaford in the Elm Plaza in Waterville and greeting complete strangers while wearing a ski mask? I only mention this because this actually happened to me two weeks ago . . . there was this guy inside the Hannaford walking around, greeting folks with a "Hi" and a "How are ya?" while wearing a ski mask.

You've witnessed the "waving guy" in action. He only wears the ski mask in the winter, he is that smart, :rolleyes: If you're in Wtvl. enough you'll see him walking the streets waving to everybody that goes by, both directions, LOL. Sometimes he acts like a traffic cop and waves motorists on and will even put his "STOP" hand up when crossing the street. Give him a honk when you see him, he'll be sure to wave.:D

WhereRWe?
01-20-2006, 07:07 PM
You've witnessed the "waving guy" in action. He only wears the ski mask in the winter, he is that smart, :rolleyes: If you're in Wtvl. enough you'll see him walking the streets waving to everybody that goes by, both directions, LOL. Sometimes he acts like a traffic cop and waves motorists on and will even put his "STOP" hand up when crossing the street. Give him a honk when you see him, he'll be sure to wave.:D

I've seen that guy several times. He may be nice, and ALWAYS waves, but he never smiles! LOL!

The G Team
01-20-2006, 10:40 PM
How about the "Waving Man" locationless cache?

At least he's not as scary as the Waterville Hunting Knife Guy.

robt
01-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I actually belong to a couple of cults - lol

And I thought this geocaching thing was a cult, it definatly requires more of my time than most :)