View Full Version : Where is that sign?

kayakerinme
01-20-2006, 03:53 PM
There's a famous sign that has names of towns and mileages. I've seen pictures of it but I don't know where it is. No need to get GPS coordinates but some general directions would help.

The sign reads something like:
Norway 14 Mi >
Paris 15 Mi >
< Mexico 37 Mi
< Peru 46 Mi

Thanks, Barry

Slate
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Albany (near North Waterford)
N44° 14.651 W70° 47.085

Ye Olde Prospector
01-20-2006, 05:05 PM
There is another similar one over in Casco that has Presidents and distances.
Madison, Monroe,Lincoln etc... It's a vertual too.:) :)

Cliff

Hiram357
01-20-2006, 05:31 PM
ya know, a real geocacher wouldve gone down to Hussies general store, bought the post card and a $4 map. plotted out all the destinations on the map, then averaged out the central location just by guessing from the mileages and the points, then would have driven to the general area (say within about 10 miles) pulled the car over, and pull out the gps, find a road that goes in the general area, then take an immediate left turn into the woods looking for it. :D :D :D

tat
01-20-2006, 06:36 PM
ya know, a real geocacher wouldve gone down to Hussies general store, bought the post card and a $4 map. plotted out all the destinations on the map, then averaged out the central location just by guessing from the mileages and the points, then would have driven to the general area (say within about 10 miles) pulled the car over, and pull out the gps, find a road that goes in the general area, then take an immediate left turn into the woods looking for it. :D :D :D

Ok, here's your challenge: Where is the twin to this sign? Hint: it is not any where near Albany!

kayakerinme
01-20-2006, 06:52 PM

Well, I never claimed to be a real geocacher. Of course I could do all that but I needed a picture of the real thing which I couldn't find. I found a lot that are supposed to look like that sign but I wasn't sure. That, and my GPS is on loan and is on its way to Aruba for a week. I figured one of you would have the answer :p

d’76
01-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Are you trying to do the Virtual without having to go there. That almost sounds like cheating. Here is the page of that one on the web.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2fa9ddaf-fc0c-42de-a261-ac01a55667fd

Smitty & Co.
01-20-2006, 07:00 PM
There's a famous sign that has names of towns and mileages. I've seen pictures of it but I don't know where it is. No need to get GPS coordinates but some general directions would help.

The sign reads something like:
Norway 14 Mi >
Paris 15 Mi >
< Mexico 37 Mi
< Peru 46 Mi

Thanks, Barry

It would be in China, Me.:D

Haffy
01-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Well funny you should ask cause I took a photo of one that is located in South China and I included it in a recent Waymarking category called Small town Big name. It was previously a locationless cache and I transferred it to Waymarking.com. It is located on Rt 32 right near the intersection with Rt 3. Here are the coordinates for it if you are interested and I will include a photo of it was well. Just click on the attached photo for the full screen view.
N 44° 23.646 W 069° 34.730

d’76
01-20-2006, 07:08 PM
heres the photo online
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/MELYNsign.html

d’76
01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
so is it cheating to log it as a find.
I ask because it seems like with a little research most vitrs could be found online.

:confused:

Team2hunt
01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, I never claimed to be a real geocacher. Of course I could do all that but I needed a picture of the real thing which I couldn't find. I found a lot that are supposed to look like that sign but I wasn't sure. That, and my GPS is on loan and is on its way to Aruba for a week. I figured one of you would have the answer :p

The picture is on it's way. I am also going to watch the cache for your...post. :D

Haffy
01-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Apparently there are more than one sign like it as well....lol:D

Team2hunt
01-20-2006, 07:14 PM
so is it cheating to log it as a find.
I ask because it seems like with a little research most vitrs could be found online.

:confused:

I have seen some virtuals posted saying: if you can figure it out without having to visit the actual place. Go ahead and log it. Not us. I am always willing to waste the gas and go find it. We have never DNF'd a virtual. ( as he knocks on something wood..OUCH!! )

tat
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I logged it from my armchair. I don't feel guilty either, a freind of mine has a camp on that road and I go by that sign almost every weekend!

tat
01-20-2006, 07:24 PM

We have a winner!!

d’76
01-20-2006, 07:27 PM

I thought that it was in lynchville

kayakerinme
01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Are you trying to do the Virtual without having to go there. That almost sounds like cheating. Here is the page of that one on the web.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2fa9ddaf-fc0c-42de-a261-ac01a55667fd

Nope, no virtual. In fact, up until now I didn't know there was a virtual there! It's for something different entirely but I cannot say what. It's a big, big secret :rolleyes:

d’76
01-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Nope, no virtual. In fact, up until now I didn't know there was a virtual there! It's for something different entirely but I cannot say what. It's a big, big secret :rolleyes:

are you going to bomb other countries in maine, BABDBADBAD:D

kayakerinme
01-20-2006, 07:31 PM
The picture is on it's way. I am also going to watch the cache for your...post. :D

Well, guess I can't scam any of you guys. I didn't know there was a virtual there. If I had, I'd have had an easier time figuring out where it was :p It's for something else, really.

kayakerinme
01-20-2006, 07:32 PM
are you going to bomb other countries in maine, BABDBADBAD:D

No unless they deserve it... and I haven't found anyone in Maine who deserves it. Come to think of it, I haven't found anyone that deserves something like that. :D

J_Cyr
01-20-2006, 10:54 PM
This sign.... :)

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/226717.jpg

Beach Comber
01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Awesome vans!

J_Cyr
01-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks. The one on the left is mine, we were on our way downstate on the coast for a 3 day campout - I drive that thing anywhere in the summer. 81K original miles. If you would have been to the campout event up here you would have seen it! :D

Beach Comber
01-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Bummer! Would be fun to see it!

I used to have a beetle - I loved that car - my favorite for sure. :cool: It got me anywhere I wanted to go. I may have had to brace myself for the 2 mph drives up lengthy, steep hills or always park on a downward hill so I could pop the clutch to start it, but it never failed me :D Which is a great deal more than I can say about the other VW's I owned - a Scirocco and then a Rabbit - one nearly killed me as I flew off the road :o (or perhaps it was my driving - nawwwww - hehehehe) and the other nearly killed me financially - repair after repair after repair :mad: (that freakin' rabbit!)

Needless to say, I gave up driving VW's years ago :eek:

J_Cyr
01-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Ya --- stupid watercooled VW's. I have a friend with a '84 Rabbit GTI with almost 300K miles on it, but hes replaced every part on it about 300k times and probably now has $300k in it lol.

I also got a '67 cal look beetle I drive -- when I am not in the Bus. It came from California and has 51k original miles, although it was restored and the engine was borded over from a 1600 to a 1641.

Live on VW's :cool:

d’76
01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
long live the vw
http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/112569.jpg

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/107934.jpg

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/103999.jpg

These are my favs!

J_Cyr
01-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Yep, seen em all :cool: (not in person)
Best VW site on the net: www.thesamba.com (http://www.thesamba.com)

Here's the Maine VW Club! http://mainevwclub.org/

Rick's gonna kill me ya know. LOL
Talking VW in the geocaching maine fourm! :D

Beach Comber
01-21-2006, 12:32 AM
those are great! the white one is my favorite :)

WhereRWe?
01-21-2006, 08:07 AM
When my kids were young - 20 something years ago - they used to call the VW Beetle a "punch buggy". Anyone know why? :) :)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-21-2006, 09:02 AM
When my kids were young - 20 something years ago - they used to call the VW Beetle a "punch buggy". Anyone know why? :) :)

Yup, well I should say I know why we called them "punch buggy." When you saw one driving along you would yell out "punch buggy" while punching your sibling in the arm. The rules were simple, you had to call out the color before shouting "punch buggy", apparently it allowed the other person to quickly verify there actually was a vw bug on the road, so if you heard a primary color being shouted out while going down the highway in the family hauler, you started wincing because you knew "punch buggy" was going to quickly be heard along with the bludgeoning pain from being punched in the arm. What great fun, LOL...

Team2hunt
01-22-2006, 09:07 AM
My navigator and I still play " Punch Buggie " to this day. There are a few more rules we had to add. The color now comes out after you say punch buggie, this shortens the time to impact. If you are wrong and it's NOT a punch buggie, your opponent gets two hits and can even save them for later, when you least expect it. You cannot look down the side roads and driveways, because I have to watch the road. ( Most of the time.) You cannot use body shops or car dealerships. This would lead to a complete a_ _ whoopin. Not my intentions with my 12 year old navigator, at least not yet. Convertibles, with their tops down are bonus points too. 2 hits. He enjoys the game more than I do. Never should have sent him to karate school. " Punch Buggie blue! " J. Cyr. wait til I see you again.:D

J_Cyr
01-22-2006, 10:19 AM
You know the rules, alright lol.
I had quite a few at one time a few years back --- 4 beetles to be exact and I used to put them outside and when I was outside, or in the garage with the door opened, I used to watch people look and hit eachother. Im too cruel. lol. :D

Susie521
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
The one in China is listed on geocaching.com as the "Which Way do I go micro". It was my very first geocaching find last week.

brdad
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
The one in China is listed on geocaching.com as the "Which Way do I go micro". It was my very first geocaching find last week.

Welcome to the addiction!

ltlindian
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
My navigator and I still play " Punch Buggie " to this day. There are a few more rules we had to add. The color now comes out after you say punch buggie, this shortens the time to impact. If you are wrong and it's NOT a punch buggie, your opponent gets two hits and can even save them for later, when you least expect it. You cannot look down the side roads and driveways, because I have to watch the road. ( Most of the time.) You cannot use body shops or car dealerships. This would lead to a complete a_ _ whoopin. Not my intentions with my 12 year old navigator, at least not yet. Convertibles, with their tops down are bonus points too. 2 hits. He enjoys the game more than I do. Never should have sent him to karate school. " Punch Buggie blue! " J. Cyr. wait til I see you again.:D

Not to go too far off topic, but we always played punch buggy too. About 10 years ago my husband and I started a side game similar to punch buggy--it was punch groundhog, because there were SOOOO many groundhogs on the side of the road dead and alive! We haven't played it in awhile but come spring I usually suprise him with the first groundhog punch! lol

fins2right
01-06-2009, 05:59 PM
We also found this last weekend! http://img.geocaching.com/user/display/214c892a-52e1-4feb-a62d-f2929af866b8.jpg (http://img.geocaching.com/user/214c892a-52e1-4feb-a62d-f2929af866b8.jpg)