View Full Version : Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding 2

Cache Maine
01-21-2006, 06:28 PM
W W W W W W 2 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4d5d10af-c0bd-4bd6-9712-e23c30594579)
by WhereRWe? & RULOST2?

N 44° 33.802 W 069° 36.563
UTM: 19T E 451607 N 4934628
http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/compass/W.gifW 39.6mi from your home coordinates.
or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com (http://www.jeeep.com/details/coord/translate.cgi?datum=83&lat=44.563367&lon=-69.609383&detail=1)

http://maps.groundspeak.com/20/336531_files/image_overview.gifIn Maine, United States
Hidden: 2/25/2006
Use waypoint: GCT2ZR

<!--../images/pdf_icon.gif//-->

[FONT=Verdana](ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)
Difficulty: http://www.geocaching.com/images/stars/stars1.gif Terrain: http://www.geocaching.com/images/stars/stars1.gif Cabin fever got you down? Get out and have something to eat!

Starting at 11 AM, a gathering for show and tell and TB exchange at "Maine's Best Deli". Bring your toys and lets talk about caching.
Be prepared to eat, and don't order a whole sandwich unless you've got friends to help. Over 100 different sandwich combinations, from the "Jane Fonda" (sliced turkey, sprouts, shredded carrots, sweet peppers, cukes and fresh mushrooms) to the "Jolly John" (lots of baloney, muenster, lettuce and tomato), you'll find something you'll like. We'll meet in the annex to the left of the cahier/order taker.

WhereRWe?
01-21-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure we'll be able to attend. :D :D :D

attroll
01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
It is looking good for both of us so far. It hard to say though with the very little snow we have had. Snowmobiling may take priority.

tat
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Is there anyone interested in bringing the travel bug Gpsfun's Volunteer Geocoin - Maine to the WWWWWW2 event? I'd love to see it.

kayakerinme
02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't have gpsfun's Volunteer Coin but I do have one that was a gift from Indy_Diver - and I'll be bringing that one to the event.

d’76
02-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Is there anyone interested in bringing the travel bug Gpsfun's Volunteer Geocoin - Maine to the WWWWWW2 event? I'd love to see it.

I had Gpsfuns coin and i placed it in Joshua Chamberlain Cache
Now jptrik has it. Some one could see if they where intending on bringing it.

d’76
02-08-2006, 02:21 AM

Something went wrong I logged it out of Island Hoppers put it in Josh Chamberland and someone else logged it out then in to Macarthy cache and none of thing info shows up on this page
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=556589f1-404d-48b3-a708-4d25ba43393e

Some one help me figure this out cause I dont want to lose this coin.

attroll
02-08-2006, 04:32 AM
Something went wrong I logged it out of Island Hoppers put it in Josh Chamberland and someone else logged it out then in to Macarthy cache and none of thing info shows up on this page
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=556589f1-404d-48b3-a708-4d25ba43393e

Some one help me figure this out cause I dont want to lose this coin.
It showed up when I looked at the page.

d’76
02-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Yah, The page works for me but there is no record of me even having it is there? according to my side it shows it still at Island hoppers

Maybe I am just missing something.

kayakerinme
02-08-2006, 09:28 AM
It showed up when I looked at the page.
Ditto. Everything seems in order as it's showing in the McCarthy cache (for me anyway).

d’76
02-08-2006, 06:22 PM
So I guess some one could help me out by explaining the process to veiwing the coin cause when I go to my profile and veiw the coin I get that it is still in Island Hoppers

Who knows??

So yup, It's in the Mccarthy cache but no where does it show that i had it and moved it to Josh Chamberlain then JPtrick took it from there.

I just dont get it.

kayakerinme
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
So I guess some one could help me out by explaining the process to veiwing the coin cause when I go to my profile and veiw the coin I get that it is still in Island Hoppers

Who knows??

So yup, It's in the Mccarthy cache but no where does it show that i had it and moved it to Josh Chamberlain then JPtrick took it from there.

I just dont get it.

Aha! When the coin is viewed in YOUR profile, it only shows where you picked it up and dropped it off. If you click on the travel bug name, you'll get the page that shows its complete travels beyond where you dropped it off. Make sense?

Hiram357
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
QUESTION!!!!!!!!

How/Why is it that there are so many travel bugs logged into a cache event that has not yet occured?????? (excuse my ignorance as i have not attended any cache events and am not quite sure how this all works out) :D

d’76
02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Aha! When the coin is viewed in YOUR profile, it only shows where you picked it up and dropped it off. If you click on the travel bug name, you'll get the page that shows its complete travels beyond where you dropped it off. Make sense?

Aha!!!!!!! Your the man!!!Thank god I worked through this with your help I was going insane (well already there) trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks for your help.

Dave:D

WhereRWe?
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
QUESTION!!!!!!!!

How/Why is it that there are so many travel bugs logged into a cache event that has not yet occured?????? (excuse my ignorance as i have not attended any cache events and am not quite sure how this all works out) :D

People planning on attending an event generally drop TB's prior to the event. As I said previously, the event we attended a couple of days ago had over 160 TB's logged PRIOR to the event.

And anyway, we're sponsoring the event! If we want to log TB's, we'll do it! :p :p

Hiram357
02-08-2006, 09:00 PM
And anyway, we're sponsoring the event! If we want to log TB's, we'll do it! :p :p

WELL FINE THEN!!!! i guess ill go log one too :D

Cache Maine
02-19-2006, 08:52 AM

I have it, and I'll be bringing it. :)

kayakerinme
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I am a participant in the Grand Experiment - an effort to get more geocoins into caches. If you want more info on this, check out this thread on the geocaching.com forums: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=119277

The gist of the project is to set 6 coins free: three coins that go into caches as travel bugs and three coins as spawner coins. The three spawner coins do not have to be trackable or anything - the person receiving the coin can place it in a cache, keep it for their collection (or use it to start a collection) or whatever.

At the event, I'll have three coins for the asking. And no, you can't arrange with me in advance.

Here's the part where I could use a little help. I have released 6 coins to date in Kansas and in Colorado (the ones in Colorado are still in the mail). I drill a small hole in each then attach one of the travel buddy tags from geoswag.com. Unfortunately, I've only two tags and I need three. If someone has one and can bring it to the event, I'll exchange it for a geocoin, if you like, or I can give you one of the three coins. This is something that I'd like to get lined up before the event so please email/pm me if you have a travel buddy tag to spare. If no one has one then I'll have to try something else with that geocoin. :)

Thanks, Barry

attroll
02-23-2006, 04:08 AM
It looks like a some faces are coming to this event. What do we have for an agenda. Anything scheduled other then eating and meeting people? Maybe we should have a game that would get everyone to stand up and introduce themselves. Lat time at this event a lot of people were left out of the loop in the back part of the room. I heard that there was a bigger room that we could reserve. Are will still in the same place or did we get the bigger room?

I am planning on being there. But it looks like I am flying solo and the better half has to work. Me and Laughing Terry were hoping to ride in on our snowmobiles but it does not look like that is going to happen.

I look forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new faces. I am hoping to have some MaineGeocaching.org window sticker to hand out if I can get them in the mail in time. I will not have a lot. I just got some I purchased for a trial run.

WhereRWe?
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
It looks like a some faces are coming to this event. What do we have for an agenda. Anything scheduled other then eating and meeting people? Maybe we should have a game that would get everyone to stand up and introduce themselves. Lat time at this event a lot of people were left out of the loop in the back part of the room. I heard that there was a bigger room that we could reserve. Are will still in the same place or did we get the bigger room?

Same room. We can't tie up the main dining room. I considered changing the venue for the event this year after a couple of similar comments last year, but the support for having it in the same place was HUGE. :D

No particular agenda planned, so if you'd like to take the lead in Charades...
We all remember how cute you looked in your Halloween costume. :p

I am planning on being there. But it looks like I am flying solo and the better half has to work. Me and Laughing Terry were hoping to ride in on our snowmobiles but it does not look like that is going to happen.

I look forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new faces. I am hoping to have some MaineGeocaching.org window sticker to hand out if I can get them in the mail in time. I will not have a lot. I just got some I purchased for a trial run.

We have a couple of "handouts", and one nice door prize to give away, however.

The G Team
02-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Didn't make last years, but plan to be there Saturday--it *is* a 15 minute trip for goodness sakes!

Are we in the back dining room, or the "conference room" to the right? We used to have a weekly meeting in the conference room, and if you set up the tables correctly, it is not too bad to move around in.

Rick, unless we get dumped on hard today or tomorow, you will need wheels on your sled to get here!

WhereRWe?
02-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Are we in the back dining room, or the "conference room" to the right? We used to have a weekly meeting in the conference room, and if you set up the tables correctly, it is not too bad to move around in.

Sheesh! Asking for hints before you even TRY and find the "cache"? LOL!

(Don't know what you call it, but take a left at the cachier (pun intended), and a right into the back room.)

attroll
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM

That was what I was asking if he got the conference room or not. But it sounds like we have the same place we had last year.

WhereRWe?
02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Sheesh! So far there are 57 TB's logged for the event! Must be a record!

:D :D

Haffy
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah no kidding, I just this minute got done printing them up and I taped the sheets all together and it is almost 3 feet long. Want me to bring it to the event?

WhereRWe?
02-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah no kidding, I just this minute got done printing them up and I taped the sheets all together and it is almost 3 feet long. Want me to bring it to the event?

Please. :D :D :D

WhereRWe?
02-23-2006, 07:44 PM

Thanks! :D :D :D

tat
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM

I hosted an event that had 115! :)

Hiram357
02-23-2006, 09:38 PM
there should be some awards given to the TB's... there's on that has over 15,000 miles on it!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

attroll
02-24-2006, 12:53 AM

Yup and remember what people do nto take you have to carry home.

brdad
02-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Yup and remember what people do nto take you have to carry home.

Wow, and I thought you didn't like puzzle caches - I can't decypher that line no matter how hard I try! :)

attroll
02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow, and I thought you didn't like puzzle caches - I can't decypher that line no matter how hard I try! :)

LOL. I was referring to Bruces comment about there being so many travel bugs making the event. I was trying to say that what travel bugs people do not leave with he is stuck with and he has to take them home until he can put them in caches.

WhereRWe?
02-24-2006, 06:56 PM
LOL. I was referring to Bruces comment about there being so many travel bugs making the event. I was trying to say that what travel bugs people do not leave with he is stuck with and he has to take them home until he can put them in caches.

I don't think that will be a problem! LOL!

RULOST2? and I are already planning out next caching trip. Being retired is GREAT! :D :D

attroll
02-25-2006, 04:44 AM
Well 11 am is kind of early. But I will try and make it by noon. Look forward top see you all. I could make it earlier if someone could call me at 10 and get my butt out of bed. LOL.

steverph
02-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Just wanted to say again what a great time I had at the event and with all the other cachers I did group DNFs with at Laughing Terry's "Right in Plain Sight" cache. I finally found it on my third try. Thanks for organizing the event. Hope to see some of you out on the trails.

Beach Comber
02-26-2006, 07:43 AM
What great fun!! It is always a good time when we get together. Hard to talk with everyone though when there is limited time and a crowd as big as yesterday. Thanks again Bruce and Theresa!!

WhereRWe?
02-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Hello??? Everyone please log out the TB's you took.

Thanks! :D :D :D

Hiram357
02-26-2006, 08:28 PM
I really enjoyed the event, thank's for putting it on. It was great to meet some other cachers. (and I already posted my tb's and moved some on) :D :D :D

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I was initially planning on coming to this event to meet some folks and get a great tasting sandwich since it's been quite a while since I've had one from Big G, but at the last minute I had an opportunity to go riding . . . so I used my GPSr to mark down my track for the day.

http://www.imagetex.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2

Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to meet some of you folks in person some day.

Beach Comber
02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I was initially planning on coming to this event to meet some folks and get a great tasting sandwich since it's been quite a while since I've had one from Big G, but at the last minute I had an opportunity to go riding . . . so I used my GPSr to mark down my track for the day.

http://www.imagetex.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2

Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to meet some of you folks in person some day.

Sounds like you got your priorities all mixed up - lol

Hiram357
02-27-2006, 09:52 PM
okay jake... correct me if i'm wrong, but i only see one point marked on the map... is that as far as you went because that's the only place where the plowtrucks piled up enough snow for you to ride??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
02-28-2006, 09:04 AM
okay jake... correct me if i'm wrong, but i only see one point marked on the map... is that as far as you went because that's the only place where the plowtrucks piled up enough snow for you to ride??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The plowtrucks have been piling snow at the Skowhegan Fairgrounds for the Rock Maple races this weekend, but there still looks like they may have to put tires on the front of the sleds instead of runners! LOL!

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:11 AM

Oops. Wrong map. Try this one. That was a close-up of a map I was showing a sledder who had questions about GPSrs.

http://www.imagetex.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=3

The line about the plowtrucks piling up the snow was pretty funny though.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you got your priorities all mixed up - lol

Well, it's like this . . . I can pretty much geo-cache or attend events any time during the year, but the snow is only here for a short time and this winter the snow has hardly been here at all so I've got to go when I can go . . . Rick would understand my "needs."

Slate
02-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I understand Jake's "needs". I have wanted to attend an event for quite a while to meet some of the others here, but it won't happen during the winter for me. Skiing is my winter addiction and I have to take advantage of white stuff while it lasts.

attroll
03-02-2006, 04:43 AM
wbdent I also posted this on the event page but I wanted to post it here. To let everyone know that we need to all make a better effort to make people feel more conforatable. I know I am guilty of not meeting every one at the event.

wbdent I am also sorry to see that the Hanson Road Explorers did not have a good time. This was bound to happen again. This same thing was mention about this event last year from others that attended. This was one of the reasons I mentioned that it would be nice to find a way to somehow stand up and announce our geocaching name and introduce ourselves to everyone.

wbdent I don’t think that the Hanson Road Explorers were in the main room. They said they were in the room with the travel bugs which tells me that they were in the room we had.

wbdent This is a great place for an event but after hearing the same remark two years in a row I think that maybe next year it would be better to have it at a place that has a larger room. I think that maybe if the host would remain at the entrance to the room and not at the opposite end of the room it would help This way they could do like Maniac does at his events and introduces himself to everyone coming in and just talk general chit chat this would make people feel most comfortable.

wbdent This is nothing against the person holding this event. I am just throwing out some ideas for the next one.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-02-2006, 06:58 AM
I agree with Rick on his suggestions. Maybe a simple banner announcing our presence is all that is needed.
I'm not sure what happened with the Hansen Road Explorers but if they didn't take the initiative to walk up to folks and say hi, well how do I say this politely, it's there own fault. Being shy is not something the host or geocachingMaine can control or overcome for others. The event went well, the venue was great and the people were very friendly. (Even if Bruce never appears to smile; he did give other outward signs of enjoying himself.:) ) This was our first wwwwwwwwwwwwww event and while not being able to talk with everyone we did meet, chat and befriend new folks as well as say hi and chat with folks we knew; we had a good time.

Thanks Bruce for putting on the event!

WhereRWe?
03-02-2006, 08:01 AM
This was one of the reasons I mentioned that it would be nice to find a way to somehow stand up and announce our geocaching name and introduce ourselves to everyone.

Rick, you arrived late so may not have been aware of the entire event.

I discussed this with a couple of people at the event I think Mainiac1957 was one - and it was agreed that there were too many people. It would have taken a long time. :o :o

And I stood up introduced myself and RULOST2?, and talked for 15 minutes or so. We handed out tickets to everyone. Had a drawing for door prizes.

Where were they and how could they miss us?

WhereRWe?
03-02-2006, 08:03 AM
(Even if Bruce never appears to smile; he did give other outward signs of enjoying himself.:) )

I'm a retired Army Master Sergeant. I CAN'T smile! LOL! :D :D

Cache Maine
03-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I have to say that I emailed them (Hanson Road Explorers) the minute I saw their post and have yet to hear anything back. That says enough for me...we can only do so much...you know? :( Just compare it to the people that did have a good time....and remember that you can't please everyone....no matter how hard you try. Hopefully, they will try out another event if they didn't like the style of this one, because all the events are unique. Just my .02.

d’76
03-02-2006, 08:19 AM
For two years I have been trying to go to this event and next year I will. I have been to this place before and all I can say is that if they ordered there food and sat waiting for someone to come to tem then they got what they deserved. Who says that a fellow cacher would not have thought that they where just customers to begin with. I think it takes on in ever crowd to bitch and this time it was theres. If they dont go to another event so what I will sleep fine. Oh and further more you cant satisfy everyone all the time.

I hear it was a great time I wish I could have been there.

WhereRWe?
03-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I have to say that I emailed them (Hanson Road Explorers) the minute I saw their post and have yet to hear anything back.

As the event "owners", we got emails of all the posts to the event site. I spend most of my day next to the computer, and emailed them IMMEDIATELY upon receipt of their note. They should still have been at the computer when my apologu arrived, but I haven't heard anything either.

RULOST2? and I have been discussing this. As always, 20-20 hindsight is great. We NEVER expected that many people. In the military, after an "event", you have a session called "lessons learned".

I hope the next person/group to host an event takes heed! LOL!

d’76
03-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh and furthermore...
Why is it the other cachers responsibilty to introduce them selves and then introduce a couple of newbies to everyone else. I remember my first event. Constance and I didnt know anyone. So guess what we did. We asked. First I met the guys that hang out around the tb table, you know the hard core group and we all talked trail talk. Then we just talked to others how hard is that.

The G Team
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Pretty much every indoor event I've been to has had similar problems--people come and go, the room is crowded, if you are new you tend to feel uncomfortable, etc.

While many of us "regulars" are content to have a nice meal, talk to friends and make our own amusement, I think that many people, new folks especially, expect to have some sort of on-going "ringmaster" and/or entertainment of some sort. This is much easier to do out of doors, like at Brad's end of year event, or Rick's Halloween event. There is only so much fun you can have indoors with a GPSr. Personally, I enjoy both the low-key events like Bruce's as well as the outdoors extravaganzas.

There were LOTS of people in the room this weekend, but I don't think it was any worse than the Geocoin meeting in Brewer. Everyone had name tags, and Bruce made a nice welcoming speech and invited anyone that wanted to talk Geocaching or ask questions to please do so. If folks arrived late, they might have missed it.

That being said, as awesome as Big G's is, I think a larger facility might be a good idea for next year. With the exponential growth of Geocaching, I'm sure there will be even more participants next year.

And finally, as has been stated above, there is no way you can ever please everyone--there will always be gripes (and I've heard them about pretty much every event I've attended) and putting on an event is lots of work, and pretty much a thankless task. To those who have put the time and money into putting on events, thank you!

Haffy
03-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Well, I guess I was not the only one who emailed them as soon as they saw the post. I did so as well and have yet to get a reply. Maybe at the next event we should have some sort of individual introduction or something but I know some people wouldn't like that as well either. Guess you can't please everyone.:confused:

Cache Maine
03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Geocaching is what you make of it. If you are a quiet person, you tend to cache alone and don't attend events. If you are more outgoing, then you enjoying caching with groups and your up and chatting with everyone at the events. We can't change that. However, as members of this community and event hosts, we can do things to encourage the behavior.

For example, KK played a fun little game at the Cache Bashe that got a lot of people talking and scurring around trying to figure out Disney characters...it had nothing to do with caching but created a lot of laughs and enjoyment. Also at another Cache Bashe, I've had people come up to me during the cache dash and introduce themselves. Another example is after seeing log after log of another cacher, I couldn't wait to meet them. At Big G's, I knew that cacher was going to be there and searched that person out and introduced myself with, "So you are the infamous (insert cacher name here)!!!!!" Another item that creates bonding are the door prize drawings...

Another idea would be to have a few minutes for the host to read all the names on the sign up sheet and the cachers could just wave so you have a face to go with a name. That might lead to further conversation since you already know who you are talking to.

Maybe we should have a couple of people who are willing to befriend the new cachers and show them the ropes. They could prearrange to meet at a nearby cache before the event, or a little early at the event so that they could talk and chat about the game.

We have talked many times before about having paperless demos, gpsr demos and the like. We could maybe look at that again and see if there is still interest.

When I'm at a cache event, I spend most of my time talking about memories of past caches, events, and expeditions that I have been on. These new people don't have that experience under their belt and don't really have much to talk about.

Any solid plans for another event soon?

WhereRWe?
03-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Any solid plans for another event soon?

I understand that Rick is/was considering another event at his house in June, but that he is afraid he might have 100 or so people show up! LOL! I think he should host one in April. I'd live to see him in an Easter Bunny costume... :p

Beach Comber is talking about having a "Beach Party" event this summer - I think we need to hold her feet to the fire to make sure she has it. ;)

I don't care for lobster, but I know a lot of people do. :eek:

Beach Comber
03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Beach Comber is talking about having a "Beach Party" event this summer - I think we need to hold her feet to the fire to make sure she has it. ;)

Ouch, ouch - I can feel the heat of the fire. I'm still mulling this over and trying to figure out the best spot. I keep toying with the idea of Two Lights State Park which has a great pavillion in case it rains, places to barbecue, play horse shoes, etc. but it isn't right on the water. The water is just a short walk away though. And there is an entrance fee.

There is also Crescent Beach, but there are fairly small areas to set up to barbecue and if it is on the beach itself could be in sunshine without reprieve.

I have also talked with TAT about co-hosting his Agementicus cache. Though I love the beach, I am more interested in holding something in the southern part of the state as requested so many times before, than being at the beach. I welcome ideas and ssugestions from others!

Hmmmmmmm - I'll keep thinking about it and come up with a plan.

As for the event. I have mixed feelings about the situation. I agree, it is not possible to make everyone happy. I make it a point to introduce myself to cachers I don't know at every event, but it is not possible to meet every new person - especially as the crowd grows. I know I introduced myself to least 6-8 people I hadn't met before on Saturday. Unfortunately, I guess the Hanson's were't amongst them.

I am now finding that if I circulate amongst the group I can hardly even say hello to all the people I already know. If I can have a full conversation it is a bonus. I am always torn between catching up with existing friends and meeting new people.

The events have been great and I have appreciated each and every opportunity to get together - even when I went to my first event (GeoChicks 2004) and was shy! Yes, I was shy!! :p In fact, a few people I met said that they didn't remember me - hehehehe Go figure!! :eek: Now it's hard to get me to be quiet :rolleyes:

The G Team
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Cameo, those are great ideas, and easily accomplished outside (well, unless you have the bad luck to have pouring rain that day). To happen at an inside event, I think we need a large, open room. Small venues like Big G's, the pub we were at in Brewer, etc. just don't seem conducive to introductions, games, etc.

Also, some sort of cache placed for the event is a great idea. It was "before your time", but there was a cool event in Bowdoin in the winter. They did a "poker run" with 5 caches of playing cards around a trail. Then at the event everyone compared hands, with prizes to the winner. Things like that help with "bonding" the new folks. It is, though, tough to beat overnight events for getting to know people--once you've spent the night at their house, or shared a campfire/tent, you get to know them pretty well.

attroll
03-02-2006, 01:40 PM
wbdent I stand corrected in what I said and I did correct it on GC. Weh nI read there statement I thought they said they did see the room with the travel bugs. I did not see the “n’t” on the word “did”. Sorry. I read it to fast I guess.

wbdent I was one of the ones that told you that we should keep it hear because myself and many other really like the place. But now that this has happened and we seem to have out grown the room. We might have to move on to someplace with a larger room.

wbdent I did arrive 1 hour late and made it at noon. I did not see anyone greeting people at the door. But then I did not notice because I knew most of the people there. So I may have over looked that. I was there for the raffle tickets and the 15 minute talk. But that did not help anyone that did not know what room it was in or was in another room.

wbdent I am not saying this was a bad event or that the hoist was bad. This was a great event. I love this place. The only thing I did not like about it was the long narrow room. It seems to be very noisy in that room also. It may be because of the shape of the room. But I really like this place. It seems like we have out grown the room.

wbdent I think they missed us because there were no signs and there were three rooms to choose from. They probably poked their head in the rooms to the left and though that was the only room and did not see the room to the right once you go in there. That is just my assumption.

attroll
03-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I understand that Rick is/was considering another event at his house in June, but that he is afraid he might have 100 or so people show up! LOL! I think he should host one in April. I'd live to see him in an Easter Bunny costume... :p
We are going to have an event hopefully in June and one in July this year so far. We are undecided on where and what will be yet. Here are some options we have pondered over with other people. We are thinking the one in June at the house again (Slipping into Summer 2). In July we want to have another overnight kayaking event. The overnight kayaking event we are trying to arrange it again so that non kayakers can also attend. We have been working out the details with TAT, and Beach Comber and are thinking of having it in Portland.

Here are what our thoughts on the kayak event so far and it is not set in stone yet. We wan t to try and limit it to under a 6 mile paddle.
Put the kayaks in at the Eastern Promenade
Get the cache at the Eastern Promenade before we head out.
Go to Fort Gorges and get the cache and check out the area.
Go to Peaks Island and get the Cache there.
Go to Long Island and get the cache there and have a BBQ on the island.
Then head to a final destination that we have not determined yet to spend the night.

The trip back the next day there are two more caches we would like to hit. But that all depends on the overnight location. But the two caches should not be a problem.

The BBQ location and the over night are not set in stone yet. That is what me, TAT and Beach Comber are working out. We want to have the BBQ so that non kayakers can also attend and possibly the non kayakers can still spend the night where ever we set as our overnight destination.
More details to come later on.

The G Team
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Rick, this sounds great--we'll plan on attending as land lubbers again--hopefully for the overnight this time. The Deer Isle trip was nice, but I still get occasional grief for using a Geocaching event as our wedding anniversary trip :o

Oh, and we'll definately make your home event--still sorry I missed last years!

Haffy
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Rick stated this: I am not saying this was a bad event or that the hoist was bad.

You know Rick I think you are right, the HOIST was bad.:D

WhereRWe?
03-02-2006, 02:52 PM
We are going to have an event hopefully in June and one in July this year so far. We are undecided on where and what will be yet.

So... No bunny costume, then? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sudonim
03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
We are thinking the one in June at the house again (Slipping into Summer 2). In July we want to have another overnight kayaking event. The overnight kayaking event we are trying to arrange it again so that non kayakers can also attend.

These both sound great. I think with advanced notice, my boss will give me a little slack here and let me off.:p

Mainiac1957
03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I am hoping for a good turnout again this year for the Penobscot River CITO event on May 20th. We had an awesome showing last year where we helped remove nearly 8000 pounds of crap from the banks of the Penobscot River just along the shores in Brewer. I will be posting this about 6 weeks before the event and I hope The Maine Geocaching community shows up in numbers again this year to show folks we put our efforts where our mouths are when it come to cleaning up our environment. Thanks in advance for your support. By the way Bruce, nice job last weekend. Bummer for Hanson Rd Explorers, but ya gotta learn to speak up with our group.;)

Mainiac1957
03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
These both sound great. I think with advanced notice, my boss will give me a little slack here and let me off.:p
Heard your boss is a real hard ass!:p :D :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Heard your boss is a real hard ass!:p :D :rolleyes:

Yeah - he may be... But Sudonim's boss gave us a good deal on the installation of our new car stereo/Sirius receiver, so I haver to say good things about him.

:D :D :D

Hiram357
03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Rick stated this: I am not saying this was a bad event or that the hoist was bad.

You know Rick I think you are right, the HOIST was bad.:D

If the hoist is bad you should just get a sky hook! they have em at home depot next to the pipe and wire stretchers... :D