View Full Version : Maine Gold

d’76
01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
If any one from the Southern part of the state (Bath) knows this person could you please find out anything that you could about there intentions in the game. I recently found the Maine Gold cache at Fort Knox and was very dissappointed to find that the cache was absolutly destroyed. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=95c60886-380c-4e6d-a655-a451151b9c38 This "cache" is in a very nice spot and the spot deserves better. For long over a year now the cache has been reported damaged. At first it was a bit damp, then soggy and now impossible to do anything with and infact is now just litter at a historic site. I almost citoed it but decided against it. I have emailed the owner and posted a needs maintance and sent an email off to GPSfun. The email to GPSfun was not to do anything about it but to make him aware of the situation.

Thanks for any input

tat
01-22-2006, 06:59 PM
The second cache had really nice view. When I did it, the owner was quick to respond and kept maps to the second cache in the first cache.

tat
01-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I just noticed that most people seem to think this is a regular cache and are ignoring the second (final) cache. That may be another reason to either archive it or let someone adopt it. If anyone is interested in adopting it, I will do my best to find out the coords for the second cache. The second cache is more likely to be in good shape because it is very well hidden out of the wondering eyes of muggles.

d’76
01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I just noticed that most people seem to think this is a regular cache and are ignoring the second (final) cache. That may be another reason to either archive it or let someone adopt it. If anyone is interested in adopting it, I will do my best to find out the coords for the second cache. The second cache is more likely to be in good shape because it is very well hidden out of the wondering eyes of muggles.

Brad might be adopting if the owner doesnt wasnt it anymore. I didnt do the second leg of it either because I did nt think the first half was worth the second half

tat
01-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Brad might be adopting if the owner doesnt wasnt it anymore. I didnt do the second leg of it either because I did nt think the first half was worth the second half

The second cache more than makes up for the first!

d’76
01-22-2006, 07:56 PM
The second cache more than makes up for the first!

I still have the final coords in my GPSr when I go do one of the other caches that appear to be right in top of that one I will grab it

becket
01-22-2006, 08:40 PM
i did this cache on oct 28, 04 and there were no coords or instructions to a second part.

Beach Comber
01-22-2006, 10:19 PM

I remember doing that cache a year or so ago and found the coordinates and map for the second leg in the cache container. It seemed like a pseudo-multi since they actually have different GC numbers - that makes it possible to do only the first, without the second. I have had the intention to return and do the second portion, but haven't made it to date. Maybe this will be the year.

tat
01-22-2006, 10:34 PM
I remember doing that cache a year or so ago and found the coordinates and map for the second leg in the cache container. It seemed like a pseudo-multi since they actually have different GC numbers - that makes it possible to do only the first, without the second. I have had the intention to return and do the second portion, but haven't made it to date. Maybe this will be the year.

Do you still have the waypoint (GC number) for the second cache? I was so sure it was a true multi, but the two caches are so far apart, it didn't seem like it should have been a multi. But, my memory is way too old!

P.s. If I do remember right, it is right on top of Andy's Mt. Waldo cache.

Beach Comber
01-22-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't have it anymore, but I remember thinking it was odd that it was set up that way.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
01-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Here are the coords for the second part of Maine Gold:

N44 34.838
W068 53.787

I have record of every cache we've done along with coords of each leg of every multi cache we've done. Yes, I know, I do have a little bit of OC but I knew someday it may come in useful. LOL

It does indeed have great views from the second part. If only I lived a little closer I would adopt it. Sudonim has several caches in the area, (HINt, HINT to Sudonim).

Mainiac1957
01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
I did e-mail the owner the other day and offered to adopt them already. As of yet I haven't heard back form him. I'll give it another day or so and send another one out.

Team2hunt
01-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I did e-mail the owner the other day and offered to adopt them already. As of yet I haven't heard back form him. I'll give it another day or so and send another one out.

We had the same issue with Hinckley Park in So.Portland. I sent 3 emails over a 3 week period, all unanswered. Then once I emailed GPRFUN, he spent 3 weeks doing the same thing. He needs to document the time and effort spent. Save some time and email GPSFUN with your concerns for the cache. In the meantime we maintenanced the Hinckley Park cache, before the adoption was complete. It's terrible to lose a nice cache. Thanks Brad.

Sudonim
01-23-2006, 08:01 PM

I tried the same thing last year, since I wanted to know where part II was. I offered to put new coord sheets in the cache, but never heard back. After reading the part II coords from Trezurs, looks like it is right on top of my cache :eek:

Mainiac1957
01-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I do believe it is. At least within a few hundred fet or so. Give me a call if you want to talk about those caches.

Haffy
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, according to Steve you could spit from one to the other.:eek:

Haffy
01-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Just did a calculation using Geocalc and from the coordinates that Steve gave and the coordinates from Sudonim's "Where's Mt.Waldo" cache they are 353 feet apart. A good spitter I would say but within the boundary guideline set by GC.com that are supposed to be 528 feet. :D

firefighterjake
05-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Not to bring up this old topic, but I always thought this sounded like a fun cache but when I first started out I saw a lot of DNFs and log entries about the cache being in tough shape so I never did it . . . now it looks like it is an archived cache. Is anyone planning on taking this one over?

d’76
05-17-2006, 08:22 AM
After it was archived Brad and I went and picked it up. My thought is that the Owner is out of the game. I sent them numerous emails and GPS fun contacted them, I would say the spot is up for grabs for anyone that wants it.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-17-2006, 08:56 AM
After it was archived Brad and I went and picked it up. My thought is that the Owner is out of the game. I sent them numerous emails and GPS fun contacted them, I would say the spot is up for grabs for anyone that wants it.

Did anyone pick up the second part of Maine Gold?????

parmachenee
05-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I might be interested in placing a NEW cache here since I work just across the river and would be able to maintain it easily. This was NOT a multi in the true sense. There were coordinates included in the cache as a BONUS for those who wanted to pursue another cache on Mt. Waldo which wasn't actually a gc.com cache. If someone else feels they would prefer to do it that's ok but otherwise, I have one ready to go here. It would NOT include the second part though.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I might be interested in placing a NEW cache here since I work just across the river and would be able to maintain it easily. This was NOT a multi in the true sense. There were coordinates included in the cache as a BONUS for those who wanted to pursue another cache on Mt. Waldo which wasn't actually a gc.com cache. If someone else feels they would prefer to do it that's ok but otherwise, I have one ready to go here. It would NOT include the second part though.

It was an optional as you said but the container is a tupperware on top of the mountain and it was there last summer. I was wondering if Dave and Brad grabbed it, if not someone heading up there for the "other" cache may want to grab it.

d’76
05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Do you have the coords to find the on on top of waldo??

Haffy
05-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah Dave TRF posted them in a previous thread:

N44 34.838
W068 53.787

firefighterjake
05-17-2006, 12:01 PM

I'd say go for it . . . I would love to be able to do another cache "in the area" since I didn't do this last Fall.

As for not doing the second part . . . I wouldn't see that as a problem since a) it would be your cache, b) as you said it wasn't a true multi and c) Sudonim already has another great cache on the mountain.

drbugman
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
i did this cache on oct 28, 04 and there were no coords or instructions to a second part.

I also did it along time ago and didn't see any coordinates for a second cache either.

The G Team
05-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I also did it along time ago and didn't see any coordinates for a second cache either.

They were written with Sharpie on the bottom of the lid--as I recall they were pretty faded when we did it.

Mainiac1957
05-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I actually have the container out on my porch. The second coords are legible on the inside of the lid.