View Full Version : Archived Maine Caches

Slate
01-24-2006, 12:05 PM
How many archived caches are there in Maine? I have 196 in GSAK, but I'm sure there are some older ones that I am missing. Does anyone else have a gpx file of archived Maine caches they are willing to share with me so I can build a complete database?

DiverDave1998
01-24-2006, 01:48 PM
How do You find them? and are they still laying out there?

tat
01-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Perhaps you could post your gpx file here.

Slate
01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
How do You find them? and are they still laying out there?

You cannot find them on the Geocaching website by doing a search or a pocket query, as a result they aren't easy to find, but they are still listed on the Geocaching website. I have a lot of archived caches in GSAK because I just move them into another database when they are archived. I just like to keep a database of archived caches because sometimes it is interesting to see where caches have been, or to read through the logs surrounding their demise. Yes, I'm sure there are some geocaches out there even though they have been archived. Sometimes when an owner loses interest and doesn't maintain their cache, it just ends up as geo-trash.

Slate
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Perhaps you could post your gpx file here.

The file is 1.1 MB, I don't think I can attach a file that size. I'll share the gpx with anyone, just PM me your email address.

Haffy
01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey thanks for the file of Maine archived caches Wade. Now I'll keep this as a separate database in GSAK. I don't think the file is too big,Rick has a 3MB limit on photos so this would be fine.

Slate
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't think the file is too big,Rick has a 3MB limit on photos so this would be fine.

I tried to upload the file, but the limit is listed at 195.3 KB for a zip file.

attroll
01-25-2006, 03:46 AM
No you couldn't but I just changed the size for a zip file to 3.81 megs. As long as it does not get abused I will leave it at that.

The file sizes are different for each type of file extension. I have attached the extension size list. This is totally different from the gallery photo sizes. This list is just the attachment sizes for messages.

brdad
01-25-2006, 07:47 AM
There are well over 200 Maine caches that have been archived. Many of these will nearly imposible for users to locate because they have no finds. Some were placed with wrong coords and never found, but a larger percentage of them are caches which were never approved.

Bear in mind, according to gc.com's waypoint license agreement, we technically are not allowed to share our gpx files with any other members.

tat
01-25-2006, 09:31 AM
...according to gc.com's waypoint license agreement, we technically are not allowed to share our gpx files with any other members.

This is not the exact wording, but it probably does capture the intent of the legal language.

But, we are allowed to discuss caches by title and waypoint! Here are some that died of natural causes. I did not include any that were removed at the request of the land owner because they should never have been in the data base.

GC3010 GCD0B GC26DE GC575A GC58DD GC5F9B GC1532 GC6190 GC61D3 GC33AA GC6035 GC95A0

Slate
01-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Bear in mind, according to gc.com's waypoint license agreement, we technically are not allowed to share our gpx files with any other members.

I assume you are referring the portion of the licensing agreement which states "Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to unlicensed third parties"

I interpret that as you cannot share the data with any non-paying members, but it implies that it is ok to share that data with paying members because they could obtain this data on their own. I agree with not sharing pocket queries with non-paying members, but I see no problem with sharing data with other premium members.

I will not post my gpx of the archived Maine caches here, but I will gladly share it with any Premium Members who PM me.

brdad
01-25-2006, 02:37 PM
This is not the exact wording, but it probably does capture the intent of the legal language.

But, we are allowed to discuss caches by title and waypoint! Here are some that died of natural causes. I did not include any that were removed at the request of the land owner because they should never have been in the data base.

GC3010 GCD0B GC26DE GC575A GC58DD GC5F9B GC1532 GC6190 GC61D3 GC33AA GC6035 GC95A0

I find that funny, too - that we can't share the actual file, but we can list and link all the caches on a web page!

Slate
01-25-2006, 03:03 PM
There are well over 200 Maine caches that have been archived. Many of these will nearly imposible for users to locate because they have no finds.
It sounds like you have a more complete list of archived Maine caches than I do. Would you be willing to share a list of GC numbers for the archived caches? I would like to compare them against the ones I already have. I would like to have a complete history of all the caches which have been placed in Maine. Thanks.

brdad
01-25-2006, 03:11 PM
I assume you are referring the portion of the licensing agreement which states "Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to unlicensed third parties"

I interpret that as you cannot share the data with any non-paying members, but it implies that it is ok to share that data with paying members because they could obtain this data on their own. I agree with not sharing pocket queries with non-paying members, but I see no problem with sharing data with other premium members.

I will not post my gpx of the archived Maine caches here, but I will gladly share it with any Premium Members who PM me.

I think the key phrase is "unlicensed third parties". Your GPX file is only licensed to you, not to any premium member. I know next to nothing about legal terms, but I do know I am correct reguarding this, only because I remember all the hoopla about it back when gpx files were first made available.

One way you can find some of the older approved caches is to look up some of the caches hidden by Maine's early cachers. You can find them by seeing who logged some of Maine's oldest caches. I may post a list, but I have about 500 gpx files to sort though to find the right one. I need to clean those out some day.

Here's an oldie that never got found: XA1(1-2)Si(3-2)O8 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6583) (GC19B7) by Besta, Jesse and Corey (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=4259) (2/2.5)

I'll see if I can find some time to find the right file.

Slate
01-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I can certainly understand why Groundspeak would want to limit the commercial exploitation its data with the licensing agreement, but I don't see why it should limit the personal use and sharing of what is essentially public data. I guess it is just a bunch of legal stuff I can never hope to understand.

I have compiled my list partially by searching through some of the older caches and members that were around then, but it becomes very time consuming to track down the last few caches that I don't have yet. I was just hoping that by sharing some of the information on archived caches that others might have, we could build a complete history of geocaches in Maine.

Thanks for the cache you listed, that is one I am missing. I appreciate any help you might be able to give me in tracking down some of the other caches I am missing.

Does the licensing agreement only apply to gpx files? Can we freely share loc files?

robt
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I can certainly understand why Groundspeak would want to limit the commercial exploitation its data with the licensing agreement, but I don't see why it should limit the personal use and sharing of what is essentially public data. I guess it is just a bunch of legal stuff I can never hope to understand.

I have compiled my list partially by searching through some of the older caches and members that were around then, but it becomes very time consuming to track down the last few caches that I don't have yet. I was just hoping that by sharing some of the information on archived caches that others might have, we could build a complete history of geocaches in Maine.

Thanks for the cache you listed, that is one I am missing. I appreciate any help you might be able to give me in tracking down some of the other caches I am missing.

Does the licensing agreement only apply to gpx files? Can we freely share loc files?

The GPX file format is a public domain format just like a jpg file, it contains data, I would belive that it is the data that would apply to the licence. Geocaching would have no right to licence a file that I created in Gsak and could not limit that. on the other hand I can see how they could licence the information that I recieve from them in anyform that I recieve it in.

Sabby
01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
There was a cache that started in Arizona and wanted to go to NY. I picked it up near the Portland Jet Port and brought it to Schenectady. It is now a permanent cache in Sodus, NY.

Here are the details.

Grubbers' Sodus Cache GC3A4C

October 21, 2002 by Sabby (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=70b13610-0f22-4d97-b22d-06bed7ce8da7) (653 found)
The cache is in New York State. I hid the cache in a nearby nature preserve today. The coordinates are N42 48.183 W73 51.279. Suggested parking is at N42 48.274 W73 51.277. It is an easy 0.17 mile walk from the parking area to the cache.

September 1, 2002 by Sabby (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=70b13610-0f22-4d97-b22d-06bed7ce8da7) (653 found)
I found it without much trouble, except for the fact that an employee did not like where I parked. I have the cache with me and will take it to New York State. I will post the coordinates when I have hidden it.

August 26, 2002 by Team Puffer Bill (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3e08164b-67a1-4ed2-a5bd-b685dbb36290) (165 found)
The cache is out there again, this time at N 43 39.112, W 70 18.600.

July 20, 2002 by Team Puffer Bill (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3e08164b-67a1-4ed2-a5bd-b685dbb36290) (165 found)
Found the cache for the second time. It has been too long in Arizona. I am headed east (Down East) in a week, so I have decided to slingshot this cache toward it's intended destination. I will let the owner know when I place it.

Hiram357
01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
why cant we share gpx files?

WhereRWe?
01-25-2006, 07:54 PM
why cant we share gpx files?

Hiram, after 22 years in the military, I know one phrase you can use:

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

:D :D

Hiram357
01-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Hiram, after 22 years in the military, I know one phrase you can use:

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

:D :D

umm.... that doesn't help a whole lot

tat
01-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Actually, what I noticed is that the agreement lists all permitted uses and sharing .gpx files is not on the list. The other statement is that we make only one copy for archival purposes.

Slate
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Another topic on archived caches got me thinking about this again. I have created a quick page with the 215 archived caches that I have in my GSAK database. I would appreciate anyone letting me know about any caches that are missing from this list, I would like to build and maintain a page with a complete list of archived Maine caches.

The list is here:
http://home.gwi.net/~wlippert/Archived%20Maine%20Caches.htm (http://home.gwi.net/~wlippert/Archived Maine Caches.htm)

tat
02-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't have any to add. I remember a lot of them, but there were quite a few that I don't think I've ever seen!

Great job.

Beach Comber
02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
How cool is this - I didn't even remember which number I have - only knew that I have a ladder - natural wood ladder #1 !!!! wooo hooooo

Hiram357
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
How cool is this - I didn't even remember which number I have - only knew that I have a ladder - natural wood ladder #1 !!!! wooo hooooo

ummmm... are you sure that was posted on the right thread??? :confused: