View Full Version : Caching Close Call

bearfirefighter
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
You know the saying that god loves idiots, puppies and children-guess which one I fall under. While I was out recently to cache in the good weather-I took on the Community Trail Cache in Unity-which was a beautiful cool day, the walk by the stream was nice...and when I tried to get accross what looked like a shallow part of the stream-turned out to be chest deep, and the water was a tad cold, and I started to panic-I had my fire dept radion with me, and I was about to call mayday. Instead, I stopped, realized that I was starting to panic, and slowly but surely pulled my wet, stupid hard headed self out. I did get the cache though. Next time, I'll wait till the snow is gone.

Bearfirefighter:)

I realized I had described the wrong Cache-It was the Minnie Wee Cache 2/2/06

Hiram357
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
wow, you're pretty lucky that the cold water didn't throw your body into shock. So there's a lesson to be learned here today.... always drink a lot before going hiking, so in case of such an event you can relieve yourself to make the water warmer. :D

Sudonim
01-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Bear, I'm glad I did that cache before I read your log. I got a little luckier (not skill) than you on the crossing. On the way back, I got scared and used the bridge (had to crawl down at the end). Be careful folks!

Beach Comber
01-30-2006, 07:42 AM
wow - that is scary!

d’76
01-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I had a moment very similar to that when I did the oosla park cache and I thought the cache might be down over the bank and I broke through the river in the dead of last winter. I only went to my belly but you have to wonder where your going to stop. And to boot it was a dnf. What a B**ch:o

firefighterjake
01-30-2006, 09:04 AM
This is why I always wear my Water Wings on my arms when I go geo-caching. :)

we3beans
01-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who will do just about anything to find a cache!
Glad you are ok and hope for the new year we all do things a little more carefully.
:)