View Full Version : Geocaching related riddle

Sudonim
01-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Here's a caching related brain teaser:p

What has roads but no cars, rivers but no water and hills but no trees?

brdad
01-31-2006, 05:42 PM
I was thinking it was a GPSr, but my GPS has a car (Icon) in it. And a Tree, too...

The G Team
01-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I'll guess a map?

d’76
01-31-2006, 07:01 PM
I'll guess a map?

me to as well

Mainiac1957
01-31-2006, 07:06 PM
So what's the answer?

Sudonim
01-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Looks like G Team got it!

...any more caching related ones?

brdad
01-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Hmm, my map has Waterville :D

Team2hunt
01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Kinda on the same subject. Seems like puzzle caches are all the rage. Do you like, hate, or just avoid them? We have done the imfamous, "who's on first, who drives a Ford", cryptograms, suduko, and even puzzle caches that need to be googled. From being cut into pieces to having an electrical degree, are some of the things now required to solve the puzzles and locate the caches. :confused: We are always up for a challenge, but some of these are incredible. Good thing most cachers are willing to give you a clue to help solve their puzzles. :rolleyes: Thanks to KK for most of the work. :p
We kinda like most of them. The ones we can solve. :D

Mainiac1957
01-31-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm to dumb to figure most of them out. Either that or I'm overthinking them.

d’76
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm to dumb to figure most of them out. Either that or I'm overthinking them.
I dont have the patients

Team2hunt
01-31-2006, 09:08 PM
I dont have the patients

Didn't know you had a degree. :cool:

Haffy
01-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Never liked them and never will.:rolleyes:

kayakerinme
01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Anything that takes more than an hour, forget about it. Anything that is simply brute force with lots and lots of permutations (think many recent cryptograms), I won't try to solve. Simple stuff about bunnies and GPSr's and colors or Sudoku I can handle and have solved and found. But why make a puzzle cache with a puzzle type someone has already done, and that's close by? I like to work to get a cache but I'd rather spend an hour walking to one than putting up post-it notes.

tat
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Here's a caching related brain teaser:p

What has roads but no cars, rivers but no water and hills but no trees?

The AWW? :)

Beach Comber
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
I dont have the patients

I see patients all day and do much better with that than the patience (or lack thereof) that I have for doing some of the puzzles that are popping up.

I agree.........."I like to work to get a cache but I'd rather spend an hour walking to one than putting up post-it notes."

My body needs the exercise far more than my brain does - hehehehe

mainesurveyor
01-31-2006, 11:21 PM
...and my map has Carmel...;)

attroll
02-01-2006, 02:46 AM
I am with Mainiac1957, Dave1976 and Haffy6 on this one. I agree with all there answers. You would not happen to be talking about all the ones show up in the Lewiston Auburn area would you. LOL.

Cache'n Jacksons
02-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I love Puzzle Caches! There's been a rash of them down here in the Berwick ME / Rochester NH area and they really get you thinking. It's a great challenge and I've learned a lot about all sorts of subjects, from cryptography to navigation by the stars. And it's a nice departure from the "get up at 5:00 am and race like mad to get there first" routine. :) As with all types of caches, if you don't like 'em, don't do 'em!

firefighterjake
02-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I dislike the puzzle caches for several reasons.

Reason 1: I'm too dumb to figure them out. Heck, I even gave one to my wife and told her that in the puzzle there should be some coords and she was totally stumped and she's pretty darned smart when it comes to doing puzzles of all sorts . . . for Christmas each year I buy her a puzzle book subscription.

Reason 2: For me half of the "pay-off" for me is finding the cache. I like the instant gratification of getting to the area and then finding a well hidden cache. I really enjoy the caches that are well hidden (i.e. think BrDad's hides) even if they can drive you insane looking for them. I have barely enough time to work, participate in my non-profit activities, spend time with my wife, etc. so I would rather not spend lots and lots of time trying to just figure out where the cache is located. In fact, I'll confess that I'm not a big fan of multi-caches for this reason . . . although I will do them and some can be fun . . . just time-consuming and the pay-off takes a bit longer.

That said . . . I have always believed and will always believe that what makes this activity great is that there's something for everyone. Like long hikes? Try finding the Gulf Hagas cache. Like short walks in the park? Try the Community cache. Like hikes along the seashore? Try any one of Becket's caches. Like hiking the mountains? There's plenty of those caches too. Like micros? Yeah, they're out there. Hate micros, but love ammo box caches? Oh yeah, plenty of them too. There's the virtuals which some like and some hate . . . no cache to be found, but they are often in interesting areas. Multi-caches may take a while to do, but they expose you to a wide area of interesting landmarks. And then there are the caches on islands where you need to kayak or canoe out to them (or walk out on very slippery ice in the winter . . . i.e. Branch Pond) . . . some folks don't like to do these. And so, while I dislike puzzle caches, I'm with C N J . . . if you don't like 'em, don't do 'em.

WhereRWe?
02-01-2006, 10:15 AM
My body needs the exercise far more than my brain does - hehehehe

Sheesh! I gotta empathize with that! ;) ;) ;)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I like the diversity of the caches available and each type has a certain appeal. I enjoy the puzzle caches as much as the virtuals. I find some of the traditional caches as challenging as some of the micros I've found. I think its the whole package that makes geocaching so appealing to me.

Happy Caching!!!

Hiram357
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
The AWW? :)

well you're partially right, it doesnt have many trees left, but there is still water there, and theres no cars but plenty of skiddahs!! :( :( :(