View Full Version : GeocachingMaine.org Polo Shirt!

tat
02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Is there any interest in a custom embroidered GeocachingMaine.org shirt?

So many people asked if they could get a shirt like the one I wore at the event last weekend that I decided to check into it!

While I made the one I was wearing, I cannot spend all day at work making shirts. So, I called a local company that can!

The minimum order is 12. The price would be under $30 each for a polo type shirt similar the one I was wearing.

We would need to decide on a few things, such as, shirt type (could affect price) and color. And we could, of course, change any part of the design.

Everyone would get their choice of size and the option of having their name and/or a TB number on the shirt.

WhereRWe?
02-27-2006, 02:16 PM

I'm interested - one for me and one for RULOST2? - (different sizes, of course!).

LOL!

Ye Olde Prospector
02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I would be interested in getting one.

YOP

Sudonim
02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Everyone would get their choice of size and the option of having their name and/or a TB number on the shirt.

Is this a trackable polo?

...maybe with its own logo?:p

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Sure let me know when you might be doing this. Color and design like yours would be fine by me. I'm not real fussy.

tat
02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
The shirt can be made trackable by:

1. Buying a trackable from gc.com.

2. Emboirdering the tracking number on the shirt.

3. Let cachers know by word of mouth or the tracking page.

You could also recycle a number from a lost bug or coin, if you have one. As far as I know, gc.com does not offer icons for anything except coins. If you're short enough and round enough, maybe! :)

Smitty & Co.
02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
We'd certainly be interested in a couple. How about kids sizes?

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Is this a trackable polo?

...maybe with its own logo?:p

But does it have an ICON? :rolleyes: Ha ha ha...I know...Just kidding!

tat
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
We'd certainly be interested in a couple. How about kids sizes?

I'll check on this. I know kid sizes are available, but I'll need to check the logo size to see that it looks ok on a smaller shirt.

attroll
02-28-2006, 02:36 AM
I am defiantly interested in one. Mark me down for one and possibly two. Tink is asleep right now but I am sure she would want one.

WhereRWe?
02-28-2006, 09:02 AM
I am defiantly interested in one. Mark me down for one and possibly two. Tink is asleep right now but I am sure she would want one.

"Defiantly interested"? LOL! Sometimes these typos are downright interesting!

:p :p :p

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I am "rebelliously" interested in a shirt as well . . . even sight unseen, unless it's pink or purple or something like that . . . although I'm sure Becket would go for a color like that. :)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
We are interested too!!!

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 05:25 PM
We are interested too!!!

Don't you mean "obstinately" interested too? :)

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Ah the famous case of the fingers working faster than the brain . . . happens all the time to me.

Sudonim
02-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Tat, can you post a pic of this shirt for those of us who had to work Saturday?:p

tat
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm workin' on it! I just got the info. today.

The short story is: Everyone will be able to pick size and color. Sorry, pink does not seem to be an option :( :)

I hope to get more info. posted tonight.

tat
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I put the images in the Odds and Ends photo gallery. The logo is approximately 4" diameter. If anyone has any comments or suggestions about the logo, please let me know. I have the ability to make any changes or corrections to the logo. The colors in the pictures are not exact. The true colors are the colors of the threads. If anyone wants to review the actual thread colors, I can post a link to the thread website.

I have been working with LT's inc. in Portland. I choose them because they have equipment compatible to the machine I have at work and they are located in Maine and seem capable of providing a quality product. If anyone has any other recommendations, please post it.

LT's recommended a good value cotton pique polo. You can see the shirt at:
http://www.ashcity.com/webshop43/AshDspStyleDetail01Svt?ItemNumber=85014
The link also shows the sizes and colors available. Everyone will be have the choice of size, color and optional user name and optional number.

On my shirt, I used the number from a travel bug that I hadn't released. This makes the shirt "trackable". You can put any number on the shirt; the number from a lost tb, a coin, whatever! You do not need to put your user name or a number on the shirt.

The bottom line:

The shirt with logo will cost about $25 (maybe less for larger quantities.)
The optional user name and/or number will be about $5
Size 2x and larger will be about $3 extra.

Is anyone willing to help with an ordering webpage and/or collecting money?

brdad
03-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Is anyone willing to help with an ordering webpage and/or collecting money?

Let's just nominate Sudonim - he's had good practice! :D

robt
03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Has anyone contacted geocaching.com about seeing what it would cost to get a maine shirt icon and tracking #'s ????? Just wondering cause it could be neat and would just require getting a list of numbers from them.

As for me, I am in for it either way, I think I still have a tb or 2 for this if not we can order a bunch more in.

Tom, I am in portland everyday so if you need I can do pickups at the shirt companies and if someone is interested I would be interested in assisting in getting ****s ready to go out.

Judy, You were looking for a good Spring event? Maybe we could have a shirt event :)

robt

Cache Maine
03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
...is interested I would be interested in assisting in getting ****s ready to go out.

Shirts, you mean? :p

attroll
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Shirts, you mean? :p

LoL. That is funny. He must have misspelled shirts and the web site caught the word and censored it.

tat
03-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Has anyone contacted geocaching.com about seeing what it would cost to get a maine shirt icon and tracking #'s ????? Just wondering cause it could be neat and would just require getting a list of numbers from them.
I nominate Robt!

robt
03-03-2006, 12:15 AM
LoL. That is funny. He must have misspelled shirts and the web site caught the word and censored it.

oops :D :D :D Well unfortunately I can not use the spell check at work so I get out of the habit of doing it.

robt
03-03-2006, 12:17 AM
I nominate Robt!

ok Tom, I will take the hint.. :) I will try to give them a call tommorrow morning and see what it would take.

tat
03-14-2006, 09:19 PM
I have finally figured out the ordering and money collecting!

If you are still interested, send me an email with your preference of size, color and user name/number (if desired). I will reply with a link to Paypal. Please let me know if this is not convenient and we may be able to make other arrangements.

Kids sizes: The logo and words are a little large for a small shirt. One option is to use just the Maine emblem and omit the words.

Please order by 31 March 2006.

The shirts will take approximately 3 weeks to make.

The shirt with logo will cost $25
The optional user name and/or number will be $5
Size 2x and larger will be about $3 extra per x. I.E. 3xl = $6.
There may be a slight discount, depending on the total number of shirts. Any overage will be returned with the shirt.

Please let me know how you wish to have it shipped.

Haffy
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey Tom ,maybe if you can would you tell us what colors would be available for the shirt?

tat
03-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Here's the link with the sizes and colors:

http://www.ashcity.com/webshop43/AshDspStyleDetail01Svt?ItemNumber=85014

Haffy
03-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks Tom, you da man :D

Kacky
03-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi all, new here and new at Geocaching too. So new I haven't started yet! My dear friend Monty in Nevada put the bug in my ear, and he uses Cafepress for shirts and stuff for his caching group. It might be a viable secondary source for odd sizes and other items. Bear in mind his prices are high because they are trying to raise money for their events. You can check "no profit" if you are not trying to make money on them. CLICK HERE (http://www.cafeshops.com/gbesgeocachers)

attroll
03-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi all, new here and new at Geocaching too. So new I haven't started yet! My dear friend Monty in Nevada put the bug in my ear, and he uses Cafepress for shirts and stuff for his caching group. It might be a viable secondary source for odd sizes and other items. Bear in mind his prices are high because they are trying to raise money for their events. You can check "no profit" if you are not trying to make money on them. CLICK HERE (http://www.cafeshops.com/gbesgeocachers)

We do have shirts for sale right now on Cafepress if anyone is interested. They have always been there. The shirts that Tom is selling are polo shirts the the Maine geocaching logo embroidered on it. You can not get anything embroidered on Cafepress.

If anyone is interested in our shirts on Cafepress you can view them here. All this merchandise is at cost. no one makes a cent on this.
http://www.skydivergear.com/cgibin/clubgear.cgi/gcmaine

Kacky
03-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Thank you, I saw that link in an old post and didn't know it was still active!

tat
03-19-2006, 09:18 AM
The embroidered shirt is not being sold for profit, It might help to know how the shirt came to be:

As many of you know, I work in the R&D lab of a company that makes sewing equipment for the bedding industry. Some of our customer's are interested in embroidering their brand labels on their higher priced beds so, we now offer a machine to do just that. Of course, before we can sell them, we need to know a lot about running them. I particularly wanted to know how to take a scanned photo and convert it into an embroidered image. This may sound easy, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong. I started with Nubble Lighthouse. It was a disaster. I tried Mt. Katadin. After crashing my laptop 6 or 7 times, I decided to try something a little easier, the gcmaine.org logo. It came out so good, I made a shirt and wore it to the last event. Several people wanted one. But I was pretty sure that my boss would rather see me working on developing new products and not making shirts! On the way home from the event, it occurred to me that there must be someone local that could do the work
Most embroiderers charge for digitizing custom logos. I needed to learn how to use our software to digitize logos, so I am not charging for this.

I found am embroiderer in Portland that has machines that use the same software as our machines. They well, of course, be making money on each shirt. If someone wants to look into other sources, please let me know and we can discuss the software requirements. Please act quickly, as I have already promised to have the shirts ready by the end of April.

Kacky
03-19-2006, 09:30 AM
There are people in my sewing club (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/andyvalleywarpedthreads/) who own embroidery machines. They are quite expensive and it takes a long time to learn the ins and outs. Custom designs are the hardest thing, especially for some of these ladies who have spent their lives sewing and not learning computers. So if you find someone who can do both, you're fortunate!

tat
03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the site!

And thanks for the lead.

Kacky
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Thank you! I'll put a RFQ on our message board, but you may already have your best deal there.

tat
03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Don't forget, Friday is the last day to order!

team moxiepup
03-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Hi tat, we sent you a PM for some shirts.... hopefully we are not too late.

jeepingirl2
04-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Is it too late to get in on this?

WhereRWe?
04-02-2006, 02:37 PM

Yes - by 2 days! :( :(

attroll
04-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Tat closed the shirt orders today. But you might want to send him a PM and maybe he might be able to work something out for you. I would not hold my breath though.

Smitty & Co.
05-30-2006, 12:38 PM

So many people asked if they could get a shirt like the one I wore at the event last weekend that I decided to check into it!

While I made the one I was wearing, I cannot spend all day at work making shirts. So, I called a local company that can!

The minimum order is 12. The price would be under $30 each for a polo type shirt similar the one I was wearing.

We would need to decide on a few things, such as, shirt type (could affect price) and color. And we could, of course, change any part of the design.

Got spammed with this email today and thought if there was another round of shirt ordering this place might be another option. Just a thought.

http://www.queensboro.com/d/specials.html