View Full Version : RE: Archived caches

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 02:28 PM
What's the geo-caching etiquette for re-establishing a cache at a site that had a cache at one time, but has been archived for some time? I noticed while surfing the geo-caching site the other day that there was a cache relatively close to me that has been archived since May 2005 and it appears as though the owner hasn't done much with it since then . . . for that matter it appears as though the owner isn't doing much geo-caching at all . . . although he appears to have visited geocaching.com as recently as last week.

Ye Olde Prospector
02-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I would recommend contacting the previous owner first to see what his intentions are and if he would mind if you were to adopt the cache. That was what I did on the"Iceman Cache" and then work out the details with GPS Fun our co-ordinator. That way there shouldn't be any problems or hard feelings. Just my suggestion.

YOP

Slate
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
If the old cache has been archived, I think that the spot is fair game for anyone to place a new cache there. I know of at least 2 caches which were replaced in the same exact spot after the first one was archived. If the cache has been gone since May I would suspect that the owner has no intention of un-archiving the cache, but it wouldn't hurt to drop the owner a quick note.

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
What cache is it? We might have more info on the cacher or location.

Haffy
02-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Not to go off topic on this but didn't we attempt to start a thread earlier on all of Maine's archived caches. That way we would have a database of locations that somebody else might want to place a cache at.

Jake tell us what cache you are referring to and maybe we can be of some help. I would take a guess it was probably one of the Cache Buccaneers's caches and you can ask Cameoooooo about the response she got from them regarding adopting their caches.

Slate
02-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Using my handy list of archived caches that John mentioned, my guess is the cache is:
Field of Dreams Cache by Cache Buccaneers
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d52c300-c058-4470-b1db-bfca36557ddc&log=y&decrypt (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d52c300-c058-4470-b1db-bfca36557ddc&log=y&decrypt)=

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I would take a guess it was probably one of the Cache Buccaneers's caches and you can ask Cameoooooo about the response she got from them regarding adopting their caches.

You would be correct Sir.

Do you have any info Cameooooo?

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Using my handy list of archived caches that John mentioned, my guess is the cache is:
Field of Dreams Cache by Cache Buccaneers
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d52c300-c058-4470-b1db-bfca36557ddc&log=y&decrypt (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d52c300-c058-4470-b1db-bfca36557ddc&log=y&decrypt)=

X . . . I'm sorry you are the weakest link, good-bye. ;)

Nope, actually I was eye-balling a cache site at Frye Mountain by CB. TRF (Steve) has a cache in place at the Field of Dreams so I wouldn't put another one there.

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
You would be correct Sir.

Do you have any info Cameooooo?

Yes! I contacted that team, Cache Bucaneers about adopting all 8 of their caches last summer. There were one or two that were failing at that point, and figured since they hadn't been that active, they may want someone else to take these over. Basically, that would have loved for me to maintain their caches for them, but they refused to allow me to adopt them. I have chosen to maintain a couple of them on my own without their consent due to the great locations. Some of the others, unfortunately, have met their demise. Maybe another effort to contact them would work, since it's been awhile.

Here are a couple of links to more info, here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3613&postcount=53), and here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4033&postcount=60).

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Yes! I contacted that team, Cache Bucaneers about adopting all 8 of their caches last summer. There were one or two that were failing at that point, and figured since they hadn't been that active, they may want someone else to take these over. Basically, that would have loved for me to maintain their caches for them, but they refused to allow me to adopt them. I have chosen to maintain a couple of them on my own without their consent due to the great locations. Some of the others, unfortunately, have met their demise. Maybe another effort to contact them would work, since it's been awhile.

Here are a couple of links to more info, here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3613&postcount=53), and here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4033&postcount=60).

Hmmm . . . very odd. I never thought about offering to adopt one of their "live" caches . . . I was just thinking about trying to resurrect Headwaters as it is archived. I may try to contact them as a courtesy and if I don't hear anything go ahead and establish a new cache somewhere near there . . . but not so close to the waterway since it looks as though that may have been the problem before . . . at least that was my interpretation by reading the logs, never having been there myself.

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Hmmm . . . very odd. I never thought about offering to adopt one of their "live" caches . . . I was just thinking about trying to resurrect Headwaters as it is archived.

I believe Noreasta has replaced this one in the past...

I think I remember this one....I don't recall that it was anything spectacular as far as location goes at all. Anybody else think that? Driving along, driving along, pull off to the side of the road and you are within about 10 feet or so. Maybe a clever hide would work better instead of a micro.

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes Noreasta has replaced that one twice I believe. After the spring flooding took the cache away. Should be fair game for someone to place a new cache. Not a great location though.

Sabby
02-27-2006, 06:56 PM
If the cache has been archived it is as though it never existed. If you want to put aanother one there or nearby, go for it. Unarchiving or placing a new cache needs to go through the same approval process. I don't think you need to consult with the previous owner. All "rights" to the area disappeared when it was archived.

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 07:10 PM
If the cache has been archived it is as though it never existed. If you want to put another one there or nearby, go for it. Unarchiving or placing a new cache needs to go through the same approval process. I don't think you need to consult with the previous owner. All "rights" to the area disappeared when it was archived.
This is GC.com's policy for archived caches. To reactivate is just like placing a new one. Put one near where there was one and go for it.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Yes Noreasta has replaced that one twice I believe. After the spring flooding took the cache away. Should be fair game for someone to place a new cache. Not a great location though.

That's what I understood as well . . . thought I would place a regular cache somewhere nearby, but not so close to get swept away in the Spring run-off. I may go check out the site . . . seems as though some folks believe it wasn't that great a location anyways . . . never having been there I wasn't aware of this fact.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
On another vein, but somewhat related, vein of thought . . .

For those veteran cachers here I am curious as to what archived cache you are disappointed to see archived. In other words, what archived cache or caches would you like to see re-established some day and why did you like that particular cache?

Slate
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Of all the caches that I have found which are now archived, my favorite was Nubble cache. The cache was hidden in a scenic spot within sight of Nubble Lighthouse. The cache had the additional challenge of having to be carefully retrieved while in close proximity to many muggles. Unfortunately the cache was hidden near the high tide line and the cache was continuously filled with water and mud. I think that the owner probably placed the cache while on vacation, and as a result was never able to maintain the cache. Of course it was just my 6th or 7th find so maybe I find it more memorable than it actually was.

LaughingTerry
03-09-2006, 04:30 PM
I noticed a cache near me was archived and had an idea for a "Right in Plain Sight" Cache so I emailed the owner of the archived site and asked if he would be offended if I placed on there. He said it wasn't a problem with him and thanked me for asking. So....A new cache was born.(Or rather, an old one was reborn)

firefighterjake
03-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Of all the caches that I have found which are now archived, my favorite was Nubble cache. The cache was hidden in a scenic spot within sight of Nubble Lighthouse. The cache had the additional challenge of having to be carefully retrieved while in close proximity to many muggles. Unfortunately the cache was hidden near the high tide line and the cache was continuously filled with water and mud. I think that the owner probably placed the cache while on vacation, and as a result was never able to maintain the cache. Of course it was just my 6th or 7th find so maybe I find it more memorable than it actually was.

I have a "thing" for lighthouses and have dragged my poor wife to that lighthouse so many times that she says if I ever take her there again it will be grounds for divorce. :)

Hiram357
03-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a "thing" for lighthouses and have dragged my poor wife to that lighthouse so many times that she says if I ever take her there again it will be grounds for divorce. :)

soooooooooo does that mean you are or you aren't going there again??? :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
soooooooooo does that mean you are or you aren't going there again??? :rolleyes:

My instinct is to go, but I'm kind of partial to my wife . . . maybe I'll just do what I do when it comes to snowmobiling and geo-caching . . . I'll tell her I'm just going out to do some grocery shopping, going to a meeting, etc. :) You don't suppose I am an addict do you? A snowmobiling-geocaching-lighthouse looking addict?

Slate
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
You don't suppose I am an addict do you? A snowmobiling-geocaching-lighthouse looking addict?

Now you just need to figure out how to combine those into one. You just have to find the right spot to hide a geocache.:D

firefighterjake
03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Now you just need to figure out how to combine those into one. You just have to find the right spot to hide a geocache.:D

It's funny that you mention combining hobbies . . . if things work out on the house I may try to do a joint ATV-geocaching trip to the County this Summer. Last year I went on an ATV vacation and ended up doing a few caches on the side . . . this year I would like to make it a 50-50 vacation split between ATVing and caching.

Haffy
03-10-2006, 01:23 PM
After going to the county this fall for their first event cache I can attest to the fact that there are a lot of geocaches on the ATV trails and the combination of that would be a lot of fun. Although my preference is by foot.

firefighterjake
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
After going to the county this fall for their first event cache I can attest to the fact that there are a lot of geocaches on the ATV trails and the combination of that would be a lot of fun. Although my preference is by foot.

I hear ya . . . noticed quite a few were on the rail trails with easy access by ATV. Also the one on Mars Hill can be accessed by ATV . . . fantastic view.

Of course ASP was a bit hard to climb up with the ATV. ;)