View Full Version : RE: Need your help in establishing a list

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 02:31 PM
It seems as though geo-cachers tend to like to keep lists . . . First to Find list, # of caches found, favorite caches, etc. In any case, in keeping with this tradition, I was hoping to compile a list of geo-cachers who have opted to take home one of my signature item ladders . . . no reason, just something to do. Obviously I will not be able to get them all listed, but if anyone has one could you post the number of the ladder and type (wooden, white, black, silver or gray) here or send me a PM? I thank you in advance.

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 03:13 PM
My new team, Cache Maine has two, both unfinished #3 and #8. No, we are NOT Earnhardt fans! LOL :p

Haffy
02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I have a black wooden one # 26

becket
02-27-2006, 03:33 PM
^$^%$&, there's a white one, too????

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM

Yeah, you'll need to get that one for your collection eh? :cool:

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Yup . . . five colors (although technically white is an absence of colors and the unfinished wooden ones aren't really any color). I was going to go with a new color each year, but figured pink, purple or green ladders would be a little too tacky for me. I am considering adding in a few roof ladders though to the collection at some point in the near future . . . heck, if I'm really ambitious maybe I'll do an extension ladder and a Bangor Ladder (an extension ladder that uses outrigger poles) . . . in fact I think I just convinced myself to do just that.

Incidentally, the white ones tend to be a little rarer than the others. If you find one by the way it's not like the White Jeep TB contest . . . I'm not giving away any fire engines or anything like that . . . just decided to make them a little more special.

Incidentally, thanks to everyone so far that has posted the ladder type and number . . . I was wondering if anyone out there was collecting them or not.

becket
02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
i can't wait to find a white one to add to the wooden, silver, black and gray ones i have. the silver one is really nice! i want a purple ladder. and i want a fire engine. and one each of all the other ladders you are going to make. (i'll email you the numbers later today)

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
i can't wait to find a white one to add to the wooden, silver, black and gray ones i have. the silver one is really nice! i want a purple ladder. and i want a fire engine. and one each of all the other ladders you are going to make. (i'll email you the numbers later today)

Becket, are you aware of the "one trac....I mean, ladder per person" rule? LOL Just kidding...:p :p Who has Ladder #1 anyway?

And Tractor #1?

becket
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
i hope ffj kept #1 ladder. and we can talk when i get as many ladders as you have tractors!

Slate
02-27-2006, 04:58 PM
What do these ladders look like?
Anybody have a picture?

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Becket, are you aware of the "one trac....I mean, ladder per person" rule? LOL Just kidding...:p :p Who has Ladder #1 anyway?

And Tractor #1?

I don't know . . . I'm pretty sure I've put it in a cache though. I will admit however that I'm a pretty disorganized person so rather than put them out in sequential order I took up the tags I've made up and randomly put them on ladders in no particular order or logical fashion so folks are just as apt to find a high number as they are to find a low number.

As for the tractor . . . you'll have to talk to my co-worker FFFarmer on that one . . . last I knew he was hoping to continue with this Signature Item but wasn't exactly sure where he would get more tractors since he bought out all the tractors (key chains that is) at the John Deere dealership last year.

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 05:12 PM

And Tractor #1?

I know you were kidding, but I honestly went with the various colors in the hopes of folks wanting to collect the entire "series".

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
What do these ladders look like?
Anybody have a picture?

I don't have a digital camera so I can only describe them to you. They're small wooden ladders (about 6 inches long) that are unfinished, black, white, gray or silver. Attached to each ladder is a laminated tag indicating the geo-cacher (that would be me), number of the ladder and my hometown (currently in Unity . . . although I hope to change that to Thorndike next year once we hopefully start building the new house) along with a picture of the Bangor Fire Department patch (a horse drawn steamer although that may be changing soon) on one side and a picture of a dalmatian sitting on the front bumper of a fire engine on the other side.

firefighterjake
02-27-2006, 05:18 PM
i hope ffj kept #1 ladder. and we can talk when i get as many ladders as you have tractors!

Nope . . . I believe #1 was placed in a cache.

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm happy to say that I had picked up Natural Ladder #2 awhile ago in Unity, and this weekend I grabbed Black Ladder # 57 (yeah) in Winslow. I also will look for the elusive white one in my travels. Neat Sig item Jake.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/watermark.php?file=1204

Slate
02-27-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't have a digital camera so I can only describe them to you. They're small wooden ladders (about 6 inches long) that are unfinished, black, white, gray or silver. Attached to each ladder is a laminated tag indicating the geo-cacher (that would be me), number of the ladder and my hometown (currently in Unity . . . although I hope to change that to Thorndike next year once we hopefully start building the new house) along with a picture of the Bangor Fire Department patch (a horse drawn steamer although that may be changing soon) on one side and a picture of a dalmatian sitting on the front bumper of a fire engine on the other side.

Sounds like a great sig item. Hopefully I will come across one someday.

becket
02-27-2006, 06:46 PM
ffj, i have black ladder #56 ( i picked it up just saturday), gray ladder # 19, natural ladder # 7 and silver ladder # 25. now i am on a quest to find a white ladder! i have far fewer tractors (2). i have multiples of other peoples' sig items, but only if they changed them along the way. (i won't mention that i have 2 bgr fire dept patches to go along with the ladders.)

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Since I was bored yesterday I decided to inventory my signature items I've collected over the past 3 years. Much to my amazement I found I had over 80 different ones. Some are different variations like Parmachenee's flies. Of which I have 3 of the 4 variations out there. The rarest one I think locally is Haffy6's water jet cut metal magnet. Don't know how many he had, but not very many. They are still my favorite thing to pick up from a cache except for $100 dollar bills. And since those have been far and few between(Well OK never), I'll take the sig items every time. My avatar is my new sig magnet for 2006. Look for it in a cache near you. I always like something hand crafted to a plain old store bought thing, but I will take whatever a cacher has been clever enough to come up with. Keep em coming.

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I know you were kidding, but I honestly went with the various colors in the hopes of folks wanting to collect the entire "series".

Sheesh! :D

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah I do have a good group of Cameoooooo sig item including Essentials kit #22 and a Brock's Treasures

Cache Maine
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah I do have a good group of Cameoooooo sig item including Essentials kit #22 and a Brock's Treasures

But do you have the new Cache Maine Glow Token? :eek:

Mainiac1957
02-27-2006, 07:35 PM
But I will keep my eyes open for sure. What am I looking for?:eek:

Hiram357
02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I've put a sig item in every cache i've been too and no one has ever picked one up!!! i knew i shouldn't have used invisible rocks... :rolleyes:

Haffy
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
For those of you who havent come across one of Firefighter Jake's signature item ladders here is a photo of the one that I have.:

http://http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2080/wwwwww2011medium9eg.jpg

Haffy
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Sorry but the link doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Team2hunt
02-27-2006, 09:11 PM
The Team has #23 in silver. I do not remember where we picked it up. Nice signature item. Thanks.

Beach Comber
02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I've put a sig item in every cache i've been too and no one has ever picked one up!!! i knew i shouldn't have used invisible rocks... :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I grabbed one of those just recently!

Haffy
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/9225/wwwwww2011medium7vu.th.jpg

Hiram357
02-27-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I grabbed one of those just recently!

really?!?!?! which number was it?? they're trackable on my super secret geocaching website 555.slkco-wod943ks.duem (the website is encoded... i would tell you what it is but then I would have to kill you... ) :cool: :D :rolleyes:

becket
02-27-2006, 10:01 PM
But do you have the new Cache Maine Glow Token? :eek:

so, cameo, what's this? i have your caching essentials #20, your spirograph thingy and your brock's treasures. guess i will have to be on the watch for the glow token

Beach Comber
02-27-2006, 11:46 PM
really?!?!?! which number was it?? they're trackable on my super secret geocaching website 555.slkco-wod943ks.duem (the website is encoded... i would tell you what it is but then I would have to kill you... ) :cool: :D :rolleyes:

I believe it is the first one you placed. I have been to that site - i knew it would be so top secret that i didn't dare mention my visit to it while we were talking on Saturday.

Zoltarus
02-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Found Ladder 43 at Hermon Pond (GCPWGE) which also came with a Patch. Also have 25 or so other know or suspected sig items that I have found.

There are, so far, ten (10) of my sig Wooden Bucks placed in the wild.
{Hint (ROT13)=> Gurl fnl MBYGNEHF ba hurz <=end hint}
So far I have recieved word on only one of them. If you find one and let me know, I will give you the code to log your find on Geocaching.com. It will show up as a Personal Coin in your Coin Finds.

attroll
02-28-2006, 01:54 AM
I picked up ladder #4 this weekend. So you can write me down as having that one. I will not pick up another one though. I think signature items should be limited to one per person. Just because it is a different color does not mean you have to run out and get another one of the same signature items. This is defeating the purpose in my opinion. How are others going to have a chance at getting one if you have to have all the different colors. It is a little different if the signature item changes all together. But just because it is a different color. Come on now guys. You are taking this to damn serious now. You guys need to get a real life here.

This is just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Mainiac1957
02-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Now what makes you think I want a real life.:D :p I perfectly happy with my fantasy/geocaching/all in my head life that I have.:rolleyes: I already had the one ladder that I got a while ago, but I HAD to have the "57" ladder. I have two different sig out there now and would expect people would want both varieties. (Or not:( ) Doesn't bother me in the least.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:52 AM
ffj, i have black ladder #56 ( i picked it up just saturday), gray ladder # 19, natural ladder # 7 and silver ladder # 25. now i am on a quest to find a white ladder! i have far fewer tractors (2). i have multiples of other peoples' sig items, but only if they changed them along the way. (i won't mention that i have 2 bgr fire dept patches to go along with the ladders.)

Well hold on to those patches as they may actually become collector's items someday since we will be changing our patch sometime this year.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
The Team has #23 in silver. I do not remember where we picked it up. Nice signature item. Thanks.

Fuzzy Teeth . . . I started going through the caches I had found and trying to figure out what I placed where . . . I knew I had placed a silver ladder there but didn't know who took it or even if it was gone from the cache. Thanks for the info.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Found Ladder 43 at Hermon Pond (GCPWGE) which also came with a Patch. Also have 25 or so other know or suspected sig items that I have found.

There are, so far, ten (10) of my sig Wooden Bucks placed in the wild.
{Hint (ROT13)=> Gurl fnl MBYGNEHF ba hurz <=end hint}
So far I have recieved word on only one of them. If you find one and let me know, I will give you the code to log your find on Geocaching.com. It will show up as a Personal Coin in your Coin Finds.

This is odd . . . I never placed a ladder in Hermon Pond and according to my records it was originally placed in the You Sank My Battleship Cache. Is it possible you picked it up there since you were the next one after me to find the Battleship cache?

Incidentally I have one of your wooden bucks . . . didn't realize I was supposed to do anything with it.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I picked up ladder #4 this weekend. So you can write me down as having that one. I will not pick up another one though. I think signature items should be limited to one per person. Just because it is a different color does not mean you have to run out and get another one of the same signature items. This is defeating the purpose in my opinion. How are others going to have a chance at getting one if you have to have all the different colors. It is a little different if the signature item changes all together. But just because it is a different color. Come on now guys. You are taking this to damn serious now. You guys need to get a real life here.

This is just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Rick . . . I intentionally have created the series of white, black, gray, silver and unfinished (and in the future will add the even rarer roof ladder, extension ladder and Bangor Ladder) so folks can enjoy collecting just one as you have done or they can continue to look to complete their set.

Trust me on this . . . I'm cranking out as many as I can humanly make(although they do take time) since I like the idea of GCers collecting them and enjoying looking for them (newbies and veterans alike) and I will continue to place them in various caches as long as I can do so to allow many GCers the opportunity to collect them.

As for me I try to limit myself to collecting just one signature item from a GCer unless I realize it is different from a previous signature item . . . the different colored ladders are different from each other though in the fact that they are different colors.

Incidentally I am still kicking myself since one of the very first caches I found had a Parmacheenee Fly and I wasn't collecting signature items at the time and as a result I didn't take it . . . and I have yet to find another one . . . makes the hunt for it a little more fun.

And yes, we all need a real life . . . I mean if we weren't collecting signature items we would probably all be collecting Beanie Babies, McDonald Happy Meal toys or Star Wars memorabilia, right? :)

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
BeachComber . . . did I read in another thread that you have Ladder #1? If so what type is it?

Beach Comber
02-28-2006, 11:21 PM
I do indeed! It is unfinished wood. I picked it up at Before Lizzie Borden Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c11dbf89-f6ab-4d63-b89d-72201cccfdb3) on 9/11/05

we3beans
03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey Jake,
I picked up silver #17 and black #32 over the last several months (though one came this weekend at the new cache in Heartland....Rails and Tombs??? The other was in Unity.....when we met TeachCarp (not the fish). Thanks for the effort..they are really cool.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-01-2006, 06:44 PM
FFJ, you doing a survey on who got which ladder? I collected one from your book nobile cache. I don't recall the number but could retrieve it easy enough.

firefighterjake
03-02-2006, 06:22 AM
FFJ, you doing a survey on who got which ladder? I collected one from your book nobile cache. I don't recall the number but could retrieve it easy enough.

I am just curious as to where my ladders have gone to and what are still stuck in caches . . . and yes Becket if I find a white ladder marooned in a cache I will let you know. :)

Steve . . . I believe it was a white #18 -- my first white one that I made.

firefighterjake
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Bump . . . Still working on compiling my list . . . there are still a lot unaccounted for.

Also, I'm releasing two new ladders. As promised my new Firefighter's roof ladder has been released (it has two hooks on the end for use on roofs) and I was inspired the other day when a certain geo-cacher mentioned about driving around with orange ladders on his vehicle and so I have opted to add "Hiram's Safety Ladder" (although I am sure some fire department somewhere also has orange ladders) to my list of ladders which can be collected (unfinished, black, gray, silver, white and now the roof ladder and Hiram's Safety Ladder . . . the white, roof and Hiram's Ladders will not be as common . . . since we all know Hiram is pretty uncommon. :)

Hiram357
03-19-2006, 08:00 AM
WOO HOO!! IM A RARE FIND!!! my wife says the same thing... :rolleyes:

LaughingTerry
03-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Obviously I will not be able to get them all listed, but if anyone has one could you post the number of the ladder and type (wooden, white, black, silver or gray) here or send me a PM? I thank you in advance.

I have #14 White

It's here with the rest of the sig items I have collected. Well, this is most of them. LOL

http://home.gwi.net/%7Etkl/SigItems.jpg

firefighterjake
03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I have #14 White

It's here with the rest of the sig items I have collected. Well, this is most of them. LOL

Laughing Terry:

Thanks for the response. I assume you found that at the Sebasticook Multi Cache . . . also maybe it's the picture, but the ladder in the picture appears to be unfinished and not white.

Incidentally, it was good to meet you yesterday, now about that low-down TRF. . . . If you're reading this Steve, it was good to meet you as well as Clay . . . and thanks for the shirt.

Hiram357
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Woo Hoo! It sat in the cache for almost 3 days and I got it!!! I got the collectable orange hiram safety ladder #58!!!! This is cool! I'm gunna have to start collecting sig items now. But hey Jake the number is a bit inapropriate... can we change it to ladder #357 ???? :D:D:D

Mainiac1957
03-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I ran out and snagged a silver ladder out of a local Brewer cache. Now I need to get out and complete the set:rolleyes: .

firefighterjake
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Woo Hoo! It sat in the cache for almost 3 days and I got it!!! I got the collectable orange hiram safety ladder #58!!!! This is cool! I'm gunna have to start collecting sig items now. But hey Jake the number is a bit inapropriate... can we change it to ladder #357 ???? :D:D:D

Uh . . . do you know how long it takes me to make those fracking things? It truly is a labor of love although it may not look it. I usually end up doing 6-10 at a time. Cutting the wood, cutting the dowels, drilling holes, gluing dowels, letting the ladders dry, painting the ladders, letting the ladders dry, making tags, applying tags, etc. It may be awhile before I get up to #357 . . . but don't worry I'll eventually get there and there will be more Hiram Safety Orange Ladders at some point (I just intend to make them as rare as the white ladders and roof ladders.)

firefighterjake
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I ran out and snagged a silver ladder out of a local Brewer cache. Now I need to get out and complete the set:rolleyes: .

Do you happen to have the number and what cache you pulled it from?

Hiram357
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Uh . . . do you know how long it takes me to make those fracking things? It truly is a labor of love although it may not look it. I usually end up doing 6-10 at a time. Cutting the wood, cutting the dowels, drilling holes, gluing dowels, letting the ladders dry, painting the ladders, letting the ladders dry, making tags, applying tags, etc. It may be awhile before I get up to #357 . . . but don't worry I'll eventually get there and there will be more Hiram Safety Orange Ladders at some point (I just intend to make them as rare as the white ladders and roof ladders.)

haha, well technically you don't have to make 357 ladders... we could just change the numbers. :D:D:D

Mainiac1957
03-21-2006, 08:45 PM
I grabbed it from Treasure Pit

WhereRWe?
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Do you happen to have the number and what cache you pulled it from?

I picked up Silver Ladder #77 from the "Connor Grist Mill" cache in Unity today.

FWIW... :D :D

LaughingTerry
03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
maybe it's the picture, but the ladder in the picture appears to be unfinished and not white.

No, It really is white. I promise. I hope to see you again on the trail or at the events.

Haffy
03-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I picked up Silver ladder with hooks # 41 yesterday at MESSalonskee Mishap.

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Again, thanks to everyone who has and who continues to let me know what they found and where they found it. The list is coming together nicely.

LaughingTerry
03-29-2006, 12:45 AM
I have #14 White

OK After an extensive search I have the information. It is White #14 and I got it at Sebasticook Lake Multi (GCQ5MQ)