vb:literal>

• Welcome to Geocaching Maine!

Thank you for visiting our Web Site! We have information about our upcoming events, what's new with issues facing Maine Geocachers and the geocaching community, who we are and what we do, and a resource section that will grow with time to provide you with everything you need to know about Geocaching!
  • Mainelyroses

by Published on 04-28-2011 11:09 AM

Low Carb Cauliflower “Potato” Salad (4th Annual Last Cache Bashe of Summer)
    By Mainelyroses

You can make this recipe using the same kinds of dressing, spices, etc, that you'd use to make potato salad - in fact, adjusting it to your own taste is important to the success of this dish. My biggest tip, though, is if you really want it to have the consistency of potato salad, order some Carb Counters Instant Mashers. You don't have to use much, but it creates the starchy consistency of potato salad. The salad is still very good without it, though.
    INGREDIENTS:
    · 1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 cups/1 quart florets)
    · 2 hard-boiled eggs
    · 1 medium stalk celery, minced (including leaves)
    · ½ cup chopped green pepper
    · 2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
    · 3 tablespoons Carb Counters Instant Mashers (optional)
    · 1/3 cup mayonnaise
    · 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (brown or yellow)
    · 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    · ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    · ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    · 1-2 drops hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
    · 1-2 teaspoons worth sugar substitute
    · 2 tablespoons sugar-free pickle relish or dill relish, or chopped sugar-free pickle
    · Salt and pepper
    · Fresh herbs (optional, but good - see below)
    PREPARATION:
    1) Break or chop the cauliflower into smallish florets. If they are too big, they're difficult to cook so that they have the right "bite" and flavor - the outside tends to overcook.
    2) Microwave florets in a covered container with a small amount of water, or steam on the stove.
    I've never tried boiling, but cauliflower tends to hold on to water, so I'm a little skeptical. You want them to be fork-tender (a fork slips in easily), but not overcooked (avoiding the stronger smell and flavor which develops with longer cooking).
    3) Drain and put into a medium bowl. Chop the egg and add. Toss with salt and pepper. I like quite a bit of pepper, and it does seem to take a surprising amount of salt, but this would be to taste. Sprinkle in the Carb Counter Instant Mashers if you're using them, and toss again.
    4) Mix the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, lemon juice, spices, etc.). Taste for the balance of flavors you like. Mix the chopped vegetables and the dressing into the cauliflower and egg mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs if you wish - chives, dill, or parsley work well, but I've even used mint for something different. Garnish with the herb, or sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
    Makes 8 servings.
  • Recent Blog Posts

• Maine gas prices

• Weather

Registered members can see their local weather forcast here.

Click here to register!