Tuesday the 11th is out for us but we intend to give it a try on Sunday the 9th. We will be in the area anyway visiting my wife's sister and will join up with anyone who wants to do this as a group. Of course, anything can happen between now and Sunday but that is our intention if anyone is interested. My wife is making sure we ARE there. We will be staying overnight and doing other caching in the Portland area so will be happy to meet up with whoever is interested in doing this cache at around 3:00 p.m. Tide is lowest at 3:55 p.m.
Based on logs here and conversations via e-mail, it looks like there is a fair amount of interest in going to the cache on Sunday afternoon (1/9/05) in the daylight and on the weekend so it probably makes sense to start with that. Depending on how close we can get and what interest there is we may go back on Tuesday when the tide is lowest. We'll figure that out on Sunday afternoon.
Low tide is at 3:49 and we will gather at the beach in close vicinity to the coordinates that YOP gave me (below) around 3:00."
Here is some info that YOP gave me.........
"Stopped by Pine Point today (1/3). Think the best parking is at the big Municipal Parking Lot. The signs still say $10.00 parking fee but doubt anyone collects fees in winter, a few other cars there today,and I parked there last winter with no problem. Coords 43 32.464 / 70 20.224 pretty easy to find. Only posted restrictions were for parking between 11PM and 5AM so should be OK.
At this point the weather prediction is....."Mostly cloudy. A chance of mixed precipitation. Highs in the upper 30s. Chance of precipitation 40 percent."
We will likely find a spot to gather after for a cup of hot chocolate or beverage of choice, but we can decide that too when we are there.
Interested in joining in?
Darn. Sunday is out for us. If it had been a Tuesday, we could have arranged it.
Same time next year? :p
For those interested in Tuesday rather than Sunday, the last word I got from YOP is that he is planning on going on Tuesday as well as Sunday (you may want to contact him directly through e-mail). Sounds like GeoMaine and GeoTyger want to go Tuesday instead of Sunday. Haven't heard back from Flwrlady or TAT yet. And I might do both as well - would hate to miss something - heehee!
Not planning to make this an event at this point - we can just each log our find of the cache. Hopefully that won't deter people from joining in as it will still be fun :)
Will try to go to both
I hope to make it there both days.
While Tuesday has the lowest predicted tide, the actual tide level is also affected by the weather. And by weather, it is not so much if it rains or not, but how much the storm affects the seas. We could have a picture perfect sunny day and a huge storm out to sea. The waves could easily keep anyone from getting close. Likewise, just because the forcast calls for rain doesn't mean that the seas won't be calm.
Hope to see everyone!
Also, if you like clams, this is a great time to go clamming!
I like Tuesday...
I'l discuss w/RULOST2? and see if we can make it. We'd want to make it an overnighter, and do as many caches as we can while there. Got any snow down there?
CLAMS???? Sheesh! They live in the mud in the ocean... I'd rather eat worms!
Not much snow at this point (thank goodness!!) and of course, we have LOTS of great caches, too!
We're hoping any major snow will hold off for the rest of the week. We are looking forward to searching out many of those great caches in the Portland area. :D And joining up to do the Tidal Cache of course. :D I've added the parking waypoint posted by Beachcomber via YOP to my pda. I notice it is very near another cache we can do on our way.
Hoping snow will hold off. Those are fighting words. Oh almost forgot the smiley face. :) . I don't want you to think I am serious. I am praying for snow. If there was a snow dance I would do it. I was hoping to come Sunday but forgot about a snowmobiling trip I had scheduled with a friend. We are going to head up north. I am trying to reschedule it for Saturday. I can not make any promises. But I am trying to make it.
You can have all the snow you want AFTER this weekend. Actually, I wouldn't mind a little myself to go snowshoeing. :D From what I hear, you will have to go WAY UP NORTH to find snow. Good luck!! :D