Why Do You Attend? ~ or ~ Why Do You Not Attend?
While attending the Cachin' and Scrapin' Event sponsored by one of our own in Southern Maine this past weekend - the Question posted on the Tread Title was asked.
We wondered why no more that a few - both from in-state and out of state attended?:confused: Was it the location? Was it the timing? Was it when this was posted folks were already booked? Was it the event itself and what it had to offer?
So I propose the following questions:
1. What makes you consider attending an event? The date, the theme, those who post they are going, the location? Whatever the reason - please share it!
2. If you decide to NOT come to an event - why?:confused: Again, sort of the same questions - the date, the theme, those who post they are going, the location ~ but I will add ~ the expense, the equipment needed to fully participate or please describe anything else.
3. If the date of an event is a problem - what would you propose as ideal dates or frequency of events.
4. If time is important - what is your imput to that. Perhaps you would share that there are Geocaching weekends (including events) and family weekends.
5. Location - site - type - I won't go on and on here - just post the whys, whens, wheres, and timing of what you would like for events.
6. How do you feel about short Meet N Greet Events? Do you like these better than all day, half day or longer events? Mid-week better? Coffee-break style?
There are loads of folks who read these forums and none have ever come to an event - why?:confused: What can those who sponsor events do to better plan them, execute them and post them? Without your input - we all put in a lot of effort for a few to attend.
Please use this tread to share with us ~ your ideal Maine event!:) Timing of when it is held, time of day, length of event, activities offered, and anything else that can help event sponsors better plan a great time for those who Geocache in Maine.
Thanks in advance to all who are willing to share their ideas and input. It think it will help a lot of us for future planning.:)
all about what else is going on
Hiram can add here (but most likely he'll see words and stuff and won't bother:p), but this past weekend we had a family camping trip planned, plus we reserved camp sites before the event was posted (at a different campground). The biggest reason we don't come to all events is that we have some other engagement going on.
We haven't attended mega events because of cost.:( We had a vacation in Colorado (though we did cache there:D) and we're still contemplating going to Ohio (sorry to blow your cover Hiram:rolleyes:) to see family we haven't seen in over 2 years.:eek:
Maybe it's not the true or right thought, but: events, mega and non, happen every month/year, but time with family is more rare for us.:cool:
We like good food, so that is always a draw:D. Mostly we like seeing friends and meeting people with similar interests, so we've made it a point to attend annual events:cool:. We don't own watercraft yet, so an event requiring such requires that friends drag us along and shove a watercraft into our hands so-to-speak:rolleyes:. We have a lot of options for our weekends, so we end up doing other things that take less time/energy than borrowing watercraft for an event:o. But these types of events may be in our future.:cool:
Finally, we go for quality not quantity (ok maybe Hiram's a little about the numbers:p) but we really enjoy good conversations and laughter:D; we really don't enjoy chaotic crowds:mad:. We had a great time at the Slipping into Summer event:D, even though it was a lot lower in attendence than years past. We're more likely to call up a few geocachers and make a day of adventure than work out an event:o, but Hiram does help the ORCAs put on the annual Tread Lightly event!:D