vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Members Only Caches...

Default Members Only Caches...

Ya know, there's not too many "members only caches" around. I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to why there's not...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

'cause no one is a member
    The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
    <DD>But the queerest they ever did see <DT>Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge<DD>I cremated Sam McGee. </DD>

Quote Originally Posted by maclagan
    'cause no one is a member
    your opinion doesn't count, so just shush up and let the real cachers communicte.

Probably but this is just my opinion but I think that most people like to see their caches visited by all people who are interested in caching and not just someone who can afford the 30 bux a year to join or 3 bux a month. Just because it can be a members only cache doesn't make it any better either.The 1 or 2 members only caches I have visited were not any better than any of the other caches I have visited. The only advantage I can see in a members only cache is if the cache is in a high muggle area and has been stolen or muggled before and they want to keep it so only members can find it. I had thought about changing one of my caches to members only after the ammo can was stolen but I wouldn't give in to the idiots and put another out in the same place and it has been safe ever since.

At one time a couple of years ago we had some juveniles who were destroying caches just for the fun it but apparently they moved on to more destructive things. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of taking away mine or other cachers fun. Although we had 3 or 4 cachers that never put the caches back because of them.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The experience in this neck of the woods is people think members only caches are elitist. Not sure why but there was some complaints.

I have done one here in Halifax, Creatures of the Night, and it is probably my all-time favorite. The cache itself was filled with premium articles, I would guess the cache spent well over $100 to stock it. I did a few others in Moncton and the were just normal caches, in fact some were micros, so I am not sure what the point is.

I put my caches out to be found, I make my puzzle caches easy and if someone emails me thay are having trouble I give them as many hints as they want.

Any way that is 2 cents

dragonflys

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflys
    I have done one here in Halifax, Creatures of the Night, and it is probably my all-time favorite. The cache itself was filled with premium articles, I would guess the cache spent well over $100 to stock it.
    I did something similar and have plans to release another cache similar to it . . . everything in the cache was worth $5 or more (although I know I didn't have $100 in cache goodies though!) It was more or less an experiment since I had recently done a lot of caches filled with junk . . . broken items, dirty items, even rocks. All I asked was that folks either sign the log and take nothing, sign the log and leave a signature item or sign the log and make a trade but only if it was worth $5 or more.

So far folks seem to be honoring the cache requirements. I did not make this a members only cache since my feeling is that I want everyone to be able to find this cache and not just a select few . . . plus I've never ponied up the extra money to become a premium member (I can't really justify the expense since I don't believe I would use the additional benefits.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    . . . plus I've never ponied up the extra money to become a premium member (I can't really justify the expense since I don't believe I would use the additional benefits.)
    I think you would be surprised. Once you start getting pocket queries you might wonder why you cached for so long without them. It makes it very easy to plan a caching trip and download them into your GPS even if you aren't paperless. I don't visit the GC.com website very often anymore, I get my PQs and browse geocaches in GSAK.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I think you would be surprised. Once you start getting pocket queries you might wonder why you cached for so long without them. It makes it very easy to plan a caching trip and download them into your GPS even if you aren't paperless. I don't visit the GC.com website very often anymore, I get my PQs and browse geocaches in GSAK.
    I don't know . . . I'm not that technically-smart. My wife gave me a PDA for Christmas and I ended up returning it. I still like scratching out my notes on scraps of paper, keeping track of my appointments with a small Smokey Bear calendar I keep in my pocket and doing caches with a sheet of paper in my hand . . . I'm one step away from being a Luddite.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    your opinion doesn't count, so just shush up and let the real cachers communicte.
    Well I hope that maclagan does not take you serious in that comment and knows you kidding. LOL.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Well I hope that maclagan does not take you serious in that comment and knows you kidding. LOL.
    No, he knows im serious.