vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Members Only Caches...

I am listing a new cache in another week or so, and starting with this new one, all my future caches will be members only for the first month or so.
    I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be a member. If it wasn't for groundspeak, none of us would be able to enjoy this great game.
    As a businessman, I feel it's not only a great investment in the future of the game, but the cheapest part of the whole thing.
    If you can't afford the 30 bucks, how the heck can you afford the gpsr, the bug spray, the gas to get you there, the hiking boots, the backpack, the nightlight, etc, etc, etc.
    Think about it, if there were no members, there would be no game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    I am listing a new cache in another week or so, and starting with this new one, all my future caches will be members only for the first month or so.
    I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be a member. If it wasn't for groundspeak, none of us would be able to enjoy this great game.
    As a businessman, I feel it's not only a great investment in the future of the game, but the cheapest part of the whole thing.
    If you can't afford the 30 bucks, how the heck can you afford the gpsr, the bug spray, the gas to get you there, the hiking boots, the backpack, the nightlight, etc, etc, etc.
    I totally agree with you 100%. I have for over a year now been thinging of doing the same thing. But have just got off my butt to do it.
    Blazing Troll

Default I had never thought of doing that

I think that would be an interesting way for a cache to begin it's life. I agree that with all the money so many of us spend to go caching the 30 dollars a year to support the website is the least we can do.
    Happy Trails!

Have to admit here that we joined looking for the "extras" like members only caches and something else that I figured out with Google Earth. Anyway, we do look at it as supporting our weekend fun. At least the kids don't want to just be couch potatoes now.

And I think that anyone willing to put up the $30 to be a MEMBER would take geocaching more seriously than someone who just happens to have a GPSr and thinks of geocaching as a HOBBY (Sheesh! - it's a way of life! ).

And anyone who takes geocaching SERIOUSLY, is probaby more likely to place meaningful geocaches and properly maintain them, respect private property, and respect TB's (not grab one and forget about it).

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    And I think that anyone willing to put up the $30 to be a MEMBER would take geocaching more seriously than someone who just happens to have a GPSr and thinks of geocaching as a HOBBY (Sheesh! - it's a way of life! ).

And anyone who takes geocaching SERIOUSLY, is probaby more likely to place meaningful geocaches and properly maintain them, respect private property, and respect TB's (not grab one and forget about it).
    As a non-premium member I suppose I fall into the category of one of those people who look at geo-caching as just a hobby . . . the way I figure it my time here on the earth is short and while I love geo-caching I don't want to miss out on everything else that life offers as well which is why it's just a hobby for me and it truly isn't about the numbers or first to finds (although it's fun to get one of those once in a blue moon.)

That said, even as a "hobbyist" I would like to think that I've given back to geo-caching by placing meaningful caches and continuing to maintain them . . . heck, when I got into this I even made myself a vow to try to establish a new cache for every 25 or so finds as a way of giving something back to this hobby.

Personally the way I look at it there are many ways to contribute to any activity . . . and making a financial donation to a supporting organization (i.e. geocaching.com) is just one of those ways. Other ways to contribute to this activity could include hosting geo-caching events, placing caches, practicing CITO, etc. In my humble opinion, giving a financial donation isn't the only way to prove that a person is serious . . . in geo-caching or in life in general.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I like this idea. If I had to hazard a guess those true die-hard geo-cachers (i.e. the ones who go out at night, think nothing of hiking in two feet of snow, will rise at 3 a.m. to be a FTF) are probably also premium members since there would be some significant benefits for them. In this way, the die-hard geo-cachers would get a real benefit by having it only open to the members . . . and for those more casual geo-cachers who may view geo-caching as something to do on an off day with the family or as an excuse to get some exercise in a few weeks they too could enjoy finding the cache and discovering a new-found spot along with the rest of the geo-caching community. This seems like a win-win situation . . . plus the cacher who placed the cache should (in theory) continue to have a large number of geo-cachers check out his or her cache.

As for the comment about why some folks would not pony up the $30 fee for the premium membership . . . you can read by comments in the post above . . . and also be aware that while $30 isn't a whole lot to some people when you've got other hobbies or obligations with $25 needed here for a donation, $10 here for another donation, etc. it can add up. While geo-caching could be expensive, I originally bought the GPSr for another reason and got into geo-caching more or less as something to do once in a while, the only real cost I have is in gas . . . and I often can justify this expense with careful planning (i.e. geocaching on the way to grocery shopping, etc.) Batteries are rechargeables, boots are what I've had for years, I don't use bug spray (I'm naturally repellant . . . just ask anyone around me after I have some garlic bread ) and the signature ladders I make are made out of scrap pine wood.

That said, I appreciate what the folks at geocaching.com do . . . I would be more inclined (to be honest) to send in a donation if something was set up like Rick did here . . . where it was voluntary and a few extras were thrown in . . . heck, I wouldn't even care if I got the extras or not.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    That said, even as a "hobbyist" I would like to think that I've given back to geo-caching by placing meaningful caches and continuing to maintain them . . .
    I would guess that you're an exception to the rule! LOL!

I use for members only in an other way. All new caches that I place are for members only until they have been found several times then I open them up. I do this so that people that pay have first chance at finding the cache. I know that not what members only is for but that is how I use it.
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Explorer
    I use for members only in an other way. All new caches that I place are for members only until they have been found several times then I open them up. I do this so that people that pay have first chance at finding the cache. I know that not what members only is for but that is how I use it.
    I noticed that and quite honestly I like the concept even though I'm not a premium/paying member (I still don't see a lot of benefit to me as a paper geocacher . . . Becket is still trying to sway me to the darkside, but gosh darn it I like feeling as though I'm helping the Maine paper industry! ) The logic in doing what you have done NE makes a lot of sense to me and yet it opens things up to the entire geocaching community . . . eventually.