vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cover of caches

Default Cover of caches

I would like to here some opinions on how you cover caches. I personally cover the caches leaving just a little bit showing. It may not be much sometimes but it is enought to distingush that it is a cache. The only other time I will totally cover a cache is when it is in a obvious cache covering technique. Like covering it with sticks.

The reason I ask this is because we were at a cache today that had bouncing GPS readings that was totally cover with leaves. We found it by mistake actually. We were ready to give up. I do not agree with this technique of totally cover the cache in the woods in a place that is known for bouncing GPS signals.
    Blazing Troll

Default hehehehe

I usually cover up the cache totally, nothing showing, camoflaged, if it were a bobby trap you would be history. I do like the stick/branch piles covering a cache. It seems to be a tell tale for a lot of caches and does make finding them easier. I try to of cover them the same way I found them only a little better.

I just found a "bouncing" gps cache this weekend that was quite obvious even without a bit of plastic showing. It was in a neatly stack of wood/sticks with a open firepit nearby. If it isn't found by a geomuggle this summer, I'd surely be surprised.

A lot of my finds were as easy to see as this. Off trail a bit and into the woods, you'll notice nature does not pile their sticks and leaves quite as nicely as the human tends to do...
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

I usually try to cover things up at least as well as they were when I found them, or better. My kids often tell me that I am concealing a cache too much and will insist on moving things a little so part of the cache is visible if you look closely.

So how does a place become known for bouncing GPS signals? Doesn't it usually depend on the weather and satellite positions on any given day?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Trout
    I usually try to cover things up at least as well as they were when I found them, or better. My kids often tell me that I am concealing a cache too much and will insist on moving things a little so part of the cache is visible if you look closely.

So how does a place become known for bouncing GPS signals? Doesn't it usually depend on the weather and satellite positions on any given day?

Oops! I was referring to the signal under the tree canopy. I find it hard to believe some of my readings under that kind of cover. The weather should have no affect on an accurate signal. (so I've heard)
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

My caches are hidden at varying levels of cover, and I like to find caches the same way. That's what the difficulty rating is for. If it's 4+ difficulty, the cache should be aptly covered or otherwise concealed.

I like to have a well hidden cache once in a while, but I also like to have the rating such that I can expect it to be that way.

Arrow Great question!

I try to cover the cache completely, though admit the covering is often very unnatural in appearance. Perhaps enough to tip of a cacher, but not draw the attention of a muggle passing by. I, too, think that it is part of the challenge. There have been a number of times that I have had to return to a cache for a second (or even third!!) attempt due to it's covering or hiding place, but that is part of the fun.
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 07-30-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I like to have a well hidden cache once in a while, but I also like to have the rating such that I can expect it to be that way.
    The problem is that the cache owner gives their cache a rating based on how they hid and covered it, but when you get there it has been rehid and covered by the last person who found it. Based on that, I don't think you can rely on the rating at all to tell you how well it is hidden. And as we've seen in this thread, some folks, myself included, have noted that they try to hide them as well or better than they found them, so in that case it could make things seem harder than the rating.

In my experiences with my own caches I have had folks rehide 2 of them in a completely different spots then where it was originally located. And in one case it rendered my hint inaccurate and I had to change it. At the other extreme, just this weekend I had someone log that they've found one of my caches "laying right in the open" when I had left it well hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Trout
    The problem is that the cache owner gives their cache a rating based on how they hid and covered it, but when you get there it has been rehid and covered by the last person who found it. Based on that, I don't think you can rely on the rating at all to tell you how well it is hidden. And as we've seen in this thread, some folks, myself included, have noted that they try to hide them as well or better than they found them, so in that case it could make things seem harder than the rating.

In my experiences with my own caches I have had folks rehide 2 of them in a completely different spots then where it was originally located. And in one case it rendered my hint inaccurate and I had to change it. At the other extreme, just this weekend I had someone log that they've found one of my caches "laying right in the open" when I had left it well hidden.
    Ya, I hear ya there - you can't control what other finders will do. But that's another point for higher frequenct maintenence on the ones that are more apt to be moved or incorrectly covered. 3 of my 5 hides are fairly definite in where/how they should be hidden, there others I have to watch more or hope cachers maintain placement, which to this point they have done well.

Red face Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I agree with Team Trout (and of course others, too!!). I seem to be gaining a reputation for caches that have been hidden in a very natural, thus difficult to find fashion. The funny part is that they are probably more well hidden now than when I established it!! I will be sure to continue to visit them regularly to ensure that the difficulty rating remains consistent with the way that it is hidden.

I typically try to cover the cache completely when I replace it, though if it is removed enough from a trail and unlikely to be seen by passers-by, I am less apt to be as diligent in my effort to do so. Plus, I am razzed regularly by people I cache with who believe that at least a small portion of the cache should be visible - LOL!!