vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cover of caches

I think the best cache hidings I've found are the ones where the cache is completely out in the open, yet invisible to the cacher. In searching you'll cover an area time and time again, and come up empty, then suddenly at the moment of giving up you look at things from a different perspective and slap yourself for not seeing it in the first place. Of course, I'm glad not all caches are like this, or I'd have a lot less bagged! This does throw the pressure on the hider to come up with something creative, and is not always possible in all environments. I plan on hiding one down my way very soon, and am hoping I can find a suitable spot for something clever.

Red face The Art of Camoflauge

I did arbetourem the other day, the gps was jumping like a mexican jumping bean in a pool of lava on the dark side of the sun, I was litterally walking from clump to clump of trees, until I found the cache, which was covered with snow-if the hint is clear, I completely camoflauge the cache, lest muggles-or as I affectionatly call them !@#$%^&** take the 5 finger discount route-snow is excelent camo, but there are clear unmistakable signs even if a cache is hidden, to the educated eye. That's my opinion, I welcome yours

I agree with some of the earlier posts; I either leave a little bit of the cache showing or cover it with sticks or rocks so that, to the trained eye, it doesn't look natural.

Post Beginners viewpoint

Having only done a few caches,34 found and a few DNF's. Here are the views of our team. I feel somewhat cheated when walking for awhile and come upon the cache wide open and easily found. We love the challenge of the last few feet. True it is tough if there is alot of tree cover and you cant find it. Thats when we pull out the trusty compass to zero in, in a straight path. I read the logs before picking the caches. Alot of recent DNF's and we may choose a different cache. I rarely pay attention to the ratings, we follow interesting logs. I always use the natural surrounding cover and do as well as possible to conceal the bounty. Remember there's a hint and isn't it suppose to be a challenge. As Tat has said in the past " log your DNF's " and as Beachcomber has told me " you"ll have plenty of them ". My navigator and I enjoy the history and the views of places we might not have visited. We both have enjoyed geocaching the new friends we have met. So maybe we don't find them all. Thanks. From the both of us.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I have hidden 6 and not one of then is a "conventional hide". by that I mean under a pile of sticks. Those are definately the most common, but with a little thought anyone can come up with an original idea. My two favorites are ones that I hid in plain sight, "Alexanders challenge" and "Warrens challenge". They took me a little work, but they are different. They are also harder to find, but a much more rewarding find for the ones that can fid them. Not all of us want # 1 and # 2 hides. John

I like to hide my caches completely and in unique hiding spots The thrill of the hunt !

Quote Originally Posted by blevesque
    I like to hide my caches completely and in unique hiding spots The thrill of the hunt !
    As long as the cache description reflects the difficulty of the find...

We've looked for 1/1 caches that were IMPOSSIBLE to find (and in locations that you'd never get a wheelchair or a baby in a stroller to...) And we've found 3/3 caches that should have been 1/1.5.