vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical Qwestuns

Default Technical Qwestuns

Do memory cards actually hold accesable memory? I just replaced a stick on my desktop pc, and was wondering if ithe old stick (256mb) would be safe to put it in a cache? and two what's the best way to dispose of an old hard drive, i just upgraded to an 80 gig (woo hoo) and need to get rid of the old one.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I would fill the memory stick with files you don't care about, then delete them--that should overwrite any old data that might be on it. Unless someone is *really* intent on recovering the old data (and has the forensic equipment to do it) you should be fine.

Fdisking and reformatting the HD will stop casual users from getting any info off of it. To be safe from pros, open the case, pull out the platters and grind the media off, or take a sledge hammer to the drive, or torch cut it. Or, take it apart and make a decorative clock or paperweight (there are some really cool and powerful magnets in them that are super for securing micros (sorry Rick ;-) to metallic objects. One could also take a *357* and put a few +Ps thru it during target practice.

HAHA, I like the way you think, perhaps I'll sight my 30.06 in with the hard drive! but how does one write information to the RAM stick?

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    I would fill the memory stick with files you don't care about, then delete them--that should overwrite any old data that might be on it. Unless someone is *really* intent on recovering the old data (and has the forensic equipment to do it) you should be fine.

Fdisking and reformatting the HD will stop casual users from getting any info off of it. To be safe from pros, open the case, pull out the platters and grind the media off, or take a sledge hammer to the drive, or torch cut it. Or, take it apart and make a decorative clock or paperweight (there are some really cool and powerful magnets in them that are super for securing micros (sorry Rick ;-) to metallic objects. One could also take a *357* and put a few +Ps thru it during target practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    HAHA, I like the way you think, perhaps I'll sight my 30.06 in with the hard drive! but how does one write information to the RAM stick?
    Ahhh...RAM stick--I was thinking USB drive-type "memory stick". RAM modules from inside the computer retain no data (they are Dynamic RAM, so no power=no data). I have made them into keychains and left them in caches myself.

The ought six will certainly take care the old HD!

Ahhh...RAM stick--I was thinking USB drive-type "memory stick". RAM modules from inside the computer retain no data (they are Dynamic RAM, so no power=no data). I have made them into keychains and left them in caches myself.

But if the memory stick is still good, and you replaced it only put in a larger stick, you might want to put it in a non-conducting electronics bag, mark it to let people know that the memory is good, and leave it in a cache as a TREASURE! LOL!

Do memory cards actually hold accesable memory? I just replaced a stick on my desktop pc, and was wondering if ithe old stick (256mb) would be safe to put it in a cache? and two what's the best way to dispose of an old hard drive, i just upgraded to an 80 gig (woo hoo) and need to get rid of the old one.

I've seen USB adapters and cases for making internal hard drive external. These item are cheap and then you;ll have the benefit of the addition usb external hard drive. I have two such drives I've set up very inexpensively. Great for going between several computer and a godsend for photo's, especially if you have a 20 gig plus drive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I've seen USB adapters and cases for making internal hard drive external. These item are cheap and then you;ll have the benefit of the addition usb external hard drive. I have two such drives I've set up very inexpensively. Great for going between several computer and a godsend for photo's, especially if you have a 20 gig plus drive!!!

and where does one find such an adaptation kit???

cool, i think it would make very nice swag!

and where does one find such an adaptation kit???
    Sheesh! Where can you find anything??? eBay! LOL!

Here's an example.

Hiram, WhereRWE? is Right!! eBay is the best place although pc junkyard may carry them. Give them a call.