vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Archived caches

Default RE: Archived caches

What's the geo-caching etiquette for re-establishing a cache at a site that had a cache at one time, but has been archived for some time? I noticed while surfing the geo-caching site the other day that there was a cache relatively close to me that has been archived since May 2005 and it appears as though the owner hasn't done much with it since then . . . for that matter it appears as though the owner isn't doing much geo-caching at all . . . although he appears to have visited geocaching.com as recently as last week.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I would recommend contacting the previous owner first to see what his intentions are and if he would mind if you were to adopt the cache. That was what I did on the"Iceman Cache" and then work out the details with GPS Fun our co-ordinator. That way there shouldn't be any problems or hard feelings. Just my suggestion.

YOP

If the old cache has been archived, I think that the spot is fair game for anyone to place a new cache there. I know of at least 2 caches which were replaced in the same exact spot after the first one was archived. If the cache has been gone since May I would suspect that the owner has no intention of un-archiving the cache, but it wouldn't hurt to drop the owner a quick note.

Default Archived

What cache is it? We might have more info on the cacher or location.

Not to go off topic on this but didn't we attempt to start a thread earlier on all of Maine's archived caches. That way we would have a database of locations that somebody else might want to place a cache at.

Jake tell us what cache you are referring to and maybe we can be of some help. I would take a guess it was probably one of the Cache Buccaneers's caches and you can ask Cameoooooo about the response she got from them regarding adopting their caches.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Using my handy list of archived caches that John mentioned, my guess is the cache is:
    Field of Dreams Cache by Cache Buccaneers
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d52c300-c058-4470-b1db-bfca36557ddc&log=y&decrypt=

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I would take a guess it was probably one of the Cache Buccaneers's caches and you can ask Cameoooooo about the response she got from them regarding adopting their caches.
    You would be correct Sir.

Do you have any info Cameooooo?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    Using my handy list of archived caches that John mentioned, my guess is the cache is:
    Field of Dreams Cache by Cache Buccaneers
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d52c300-c058-4470-b1db-bfca36557ddc&log=y&decrypt=
    X . . . I'm sorry you are the weakest link, good-bye.

Nope, actually I was eye-balling a cache site at Frye Mountain by CB. TRF (Steve) has a cache in place at the Field of Dreams so I wouldn't put another one there.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    You would be correct Sir.

Do you have any info Cameooooo?
    Yes! I contacted that team, Cache Bucaneers about adopting all 8 of their caches last summer. There were one or two that were failing at that point, and figured since they hadn't been that active, they may want someone else to take these over. Basically, that would have loved for me to maintain their caches for them, but they refused to allow me to adopt them. I have chosen to maintain a couple of them on my own without their consent due to the great locations. Some of the others, unfortunately, have met their demise. Maybe another effort to contact them would work, since it's been awhile.

Here are a couple of links to more info, here, and here.

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    Yes! I contacted that team, Cache Bucaneers about adopting all 8 of their caches last summer. There were one or two that were failing at that point, and figured since they hadn't been that active, they may want someone else to take these over. Basically, that would have loved for me to maintain their caches for them, but they refused to allow me to adopt them. I have chosen to maintain a couple of them on my own without their consent due to the great locations. Some of the others, unfortunately, have met their demise. Maybe another effort to contact them would work, since it's been awhile.

Here are a couple of links to more info, here, and here.

Hmmm . . . very odd. I never thought about offering to adopt one of their "live" caches . . . I was just thinking about trying to resurrect Headwaters as it is archived. I may try to contact them as a courtesy and if I don't hear anything go ahead and establish a new cache somewhere near there . . . but not so close to the waterway since it looks as though that may have been the problem before . . . at least that was my interpretation by reading the logs, never having been there myself.