Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ftf-a-thon

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Ask a cacher from the San Fransisco where there are over 1700 caches within 25 miles. How many of those do you suppose are ammo boxes?
    I cached out in downtown SF last fall for about 6 hours. Although I looked at several dozen before I headed out there, I visited 14 caches or so. Only one was a tupperware container, and that was only of the 1-cup variety and was too tiny to hold the TB I had brought with me. The rest were micros and virtuals. The competition seems to be creating the cleverest micro hide. As for an ammo can out there... I don't remember seeing one amongst the ones I researched that was within walking/short taxi distance of where I was on the peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    This seems to be the natural progression of caching. Maine, as usual, is just behind the curve.

As it gets harder to find impressive locations and cachers get acustomed to a "typical" hide, a percentage of cache hiders will up the ante by hiding tougher and tougher puzzle caches and often hide smaller caches which can be stuffed into tight corners at less visially appealing locations. Ask a cacher from the <A href="http://"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?origin_lat=37.759881&origin_long=-122.437392&dist=25" target=_blank>San Fransisco where there are over 1700 caches within 25 miles. How many of those do you suppose are ammo boxes?

I'm not knocking puzzle caches or micros. I've always promoted variety in caches. I hid Maine's first puzzle cache. I hid Maine's 3rd (I think) micro. But odds are, we are heading in the same direction as other areas. Hopefully, not as quickly!

This may be so . . . but I'm still convinced that there are a lot of untapped locations for regular ol' caches and moreover there are still new ways of hiding caches without having to resort to the usual geostick pile. I've got a couple of ideas in fact that I'm working on right now for a future cache that should prove to be as fun to create as it should be to find.

And personally, Brdad I consider you the King of the Master Hides . . . I still think you've got a few more good ones left in you without having to resort to puzzles.

Incidentally . . . while micros and puzzle caches are not my favorites, I do like to do them both occasionally and hope that folks don't stop putting them out as I am convinced that these most definitely have their place -- it was just that I was lamenting the fact that it just seems that lately there have been a ton of puzzle caches.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

And personally, Brdad I consider you the King of the Master Hides . . . I still think you've got a few more good ones left in you without having to resort to puzzles.

I concur with this statement FFJ. Brdad is the responsible for getting me into caching and I haven't looked back yet. I'm sure he has some devious hide up his sleeve for this caching season and Maybe even Msteelee has one as well . Try looking for hockey pucks in the wilderness with those 2 looking over your shoulder, now that is what I call a cache and a good hike with a view, all the aspects of my favorite types of caches and they all have something special to offer to the individual.

Tean Nirvana also has some pretty serious caches out there,this one in particular took me 2 seasons to accomplish: GCJ938 Try that one out for size. I happened to get lucky the second time around on that one.

So in short I am looking forward to a great diversity of caches this coming season and they all have something special to offer the individual needs of eash person. Happy Caching
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.