Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ftf-a-thon

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Yeah - we really don't care about FTF's - unless they're VERY close by - and then we consider it a PERSONAL challenge.
    I couldn't agree more. Well, my definition of "close by" may be further than yours. And, I do care some. Other than that, my sentiments exactly!

Plus, I think FTFs are more appealing if they are rare and unplanned for. You don't know they're coming, where they are, or what they will entail.

My favorite FTFs I spotted in the AM, often postponing work until I at least did part of it. Both Dyslexic's Nightmare (GCJ938) by Team Nirvana (4/4) and Maine Hop in the Bangor City Forest (GCGT94) by Ivy and Lucy (1/2) it was pouring. I was so wet at the latter I had to strip and wring my clothes out in the parking lot before heading to work. Brewer by the Numbers (GCP1NY) by mainiac1957 (2.5/1.5) was a fun FTF because of all the mental stress.

As far as FTF distance - Insp Gadget's First American Cache (GCJ56T) by Insp Gadget (1/1.5) was 171 miles ATCF from home, but I found that 3 months after it was published. My furthest "race to get it" FTF is China School Forest (GC9E3D) by Haffy6 (1.5/1.5) 45.3 miles from home ATCF, which also happens to be my first FTF.

So, that being said, anyone heading out for the FTF's, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    Actually I have another puzzle cache that will be published Friday night just to start things off. LOL
    Does anyone place regular, ol' ammo box caches anymore? I like the occasional puzzle cache, but it seems like there have been a ton of puzzle caches and micro caches released lately . . . and these tend to stretch the limits of my wee mind.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I couldn't agree more. Well, my definition of "close by" may be further than yours. And, I do care some. Other than that, my sentiments exactly!

(Snipped for brevity)

So, that being said, anyone heading out for the FTF's, have fun!
    I don't have any favorite FTF's, but one that caused me a lot of pleasure was LaughingTerry's "Outlaw Fishing Hole", cause even though I knew about it in advance, we STILL met Haffy coming in when we were on our way out! (This was also the closest FTF, at 4.9 miles)

And we've mentioned our farthest FTF before, "Welcome to Chisasibi" which is over 700 miles away (and is WAS our intention to try for the FTF before we left home).

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Does anyone place regular, ol' ammo box caches anymore? I like the occasional puzzle cache, but it seems like there have been a ton of puzzle caches and micro caches released lately . . . and these tend to stretch the limits of my wee mind.
    I think it's the season: it's a lot easier to place micros and small caches in the winter as they're generally year-round finds. You wouldn't want to place an ammo can on top of the snow, would you?

You wouldn't want to place an ammo can on top of the snow, would you?
    that would help me winter cache!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I think it's the season: it's a lot easier to place micros and small caches in the winter as they're generally year-round finds. You wouldn't want to place an ammo can on top of the snow, would you?
    We had Winter here this year? What snow?

And it seems at this point there's really not much snow . . . but I hope you're right since I'm not a big fan of puzzles . . . although I did finally figure out one of Laughing Terry's puzzles (He Said, She Said) and I was quite proud of myself.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

We had Winter here this year? What snow?

And it seems at this point there's really not much snow . . . but I hope you're right since I'm not a big fan of puzzles . . . although I did finally figure out one of Laughing Terry's puzzles (He Said, She Said) and I was quite proud of myself.
    Great! Now you're ready to move up to "The Puzzle of Ben's Bum"! LOL!

I haven't been able to figure out He Said, She Said with the exception of a few potential numbers. Ben's Bum I did get. Perhaps there is hope on He Said, She Said - after all!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

This seems to be the natural progression of caching. Maine, as usual, is just behind the curve.

As it gets harder to find impressive locations and cachers get acustomed to a "typical" hide, a percentage of cache hiders will up the ante by hiding tougher and tougher puzzle caches and often hide smaller caches which can be stuffed into tight corners at less visially appealing locations. Ask a cacher from the San Fransisco where there are over 1700 caches within 25 miles. How many of those do you suppose are ammo boxes?

I'm not knocking puzzle caches or micros. I've always promoted variety in caches. I hid Maine's first puzzle cache. I hid Maine's 3rd (I think) micro. But odds are, we are heading in the same direction as other areas. Hopefully, not as quickly!

Default Dang

Two posts today, and they both seem like doom and gloom...