vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What NOT to use for a container

Default What NOT to use for a container

I made a cache container one day and have it rolling(literally) around in the back of my car just in case I find a great spot for a cache. I used camo tape on a pringles can just because I had the can. After reading this bookmark list on the geocaching.com forums I realized that maybe placing it wouldn't be the best thing to do. Can you say "pipe bomb"? LOL It fits the profile of what most people who aren't in the "geocaching know" of what a pipe bomb looks like. So off to the trash with that one.

I would also like to say that the flimsy plastic glad containers are not really suitable either. They will not keep the water out and will break rather quickly.

Glass pickle jares can be broken and cut someone so those aren't a good idea.

I used to think the plastic gallon jars were great but almost every single one I find is damp inside. I have found 2 or 3 with half an inch or more of water in them.

Anyone else want to add their idea of the wrong cantainers and reasoning?

I think part of the problem is that the name tupperware is a term now applied to a whole group of plastic/rubber containers rather than the brand. Most of the Tupperware Brand of containers works OK, but I would be careful where they are placed. Any of the inexpensive plastics usually do not hold up at all. They really have no place in the caching world.

Now the new lock and lock containers show promise. We will have to wait and see how they hold up.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

d’76 Guest

Ammo cans are the only way to go. All others are inferior

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    I think part of the problem is that the name tupperware is a term now applied to a whole group of plastic/rubber containers rather than the brand. Most of the Tupperware Brand of containers works OK, but I would be careful where they are placed. Any of the inexpensive plastics usually do not hold up at all. They really have no place in the caching world.

Now the new lock and lock containers show promise. We will have to wait and see how they hold up.
    I have had the lock and lock containers out in 2 caches now for a while, they will make it to a year this summer at both caches and they have been holding up wonderfully the last time I checked on them and I have heard no complaints on them from anyone. I will probally be doing my spring cleaning and check on them in the next month or so and then I will know more then.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Dave, I agree that ammo cans are good but unfortunatly they do not fit in alot of hiding places.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    AMEN MY BRUTHA!!! PREACH ON!!!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by robt

Dave, I agree that ammo cans are good but unfortunatly they do not fit in alot of hiding places.

well that just means that it's probably a crappy spot to hide a cache anyways, and you should look for a better one.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

This is just my opinion . . . but I like ammo cans. I have yet to find an ammo can that is broken or has let in water versus plastic containers . . . although I will admit that some have been in better condition than others. I've also seen drinking coolers (Thermos) used with good results and at least one cacher has used a mortar tube (it's water-proof, but a bit bulky and could possibly be confused with an IED -- the key to me is where such a thing is placed . . . placing it near a very public place is a very bad idea whereas placing something like this in middle of the woods would work much better . . . and of course marking the container as a cache container for the would-be bomb squad is always a good idea when possible.)

Containers that seem to be poor cache containers are cheaper plastic containers, plastic mayonaise/school cafeteria jars, plastic paint buckets and beer kegs . . . Hiram always seems to be FTF to those for some reason.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Lock n Lock

I like the Lock n Lock container and they do keep things dry. This winter, though, one froze to the ground and as the cacher was trying to get it out, they broke the container. They were super nice and replaced it with a container of their own.
    I have found two ammo cans that the pins were missing in the hinge. Everything still seemed to stay dry.

I think you will find that the ammo container is about the best that money can buy but they do freeze in place just like any other container. For micros I have used a waterproof match container that Walmart carries for like $.85 and they take paint very well. Lock n Locks have proven to work quite well for me as well. Some places are just too open for ammo cans so the Lock n Lock comes in a variety of sizes and with some camo tape work pretty good.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.