vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mapsource Topo USA

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I didn't disregard the message, just made fun of it!

I'm not sure it make sense to try to autoroute via topo. The map is too detailed and it would be very difficult and complicated to show what is needed to navigate any given way. One man's road is another man's path! And, the smaller roads are very seasonal. Right now, you would probably have to walk 20 miles to get to my cache on West Mt. Kenebago. This summer, any car can drive within 2 miles.

I downloaded and installed nRoute, but now I can't use it till I get home becasue I didn't bring the CDs! I have every topo loaded on the gps from here to Niagra Falls and as far south as Virginia! I thought that would be enough for a two day trip to Brunswick.
    Check your pm's in a bit, I'm gonna send you sumpten

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Check your pm's in a bit, I'm gonna send you sumpten
    I got the pm to you follow the directions

DeLorme Topo does real time tracking and I sware by it. But you can not put the maps on a GPS. But the software is awesome.
    Blazing Troll

I personally don't care for Garmins mapsource, I was greatly disapointed and thought it was a waste of time. My personal favorites are MS Streets and Trips for the navigation (it does has real time navigation, waypoint and routing options) and National Geographic Backwoods Explorer TOPO for the planning of caches because it has very detailed terrain, makes for easy calculations on elevation rises (and if my jeep will get through) I've tried a lot of different map programs and those two are the ones I'm sticking with. (Although I haven't used any DeLorme programs I never go anywhere without my Atlas you can never go wrong with that)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Nmea

Dave have not tried real time tracking on my garmin, but on my old Magelin you had to make sure the NMEA settings were correct. hope this helps

Tony

I like Maptech's Terrain Navigator. The maps look just like USGS maps. It's a bit pricey ($100 for New England) and a lot of CDs, but it is nice.

I use the Garmin Topo on my GPS and really like it. It is pretty accurate for the most part. It is missing the Bridge in Bath so I think I am going swimming every time I head over that way. I also spend a lot of time off road in the woods and the elevation and detail on swamps and such proves most helpful.

I must say that after this weekend and the FTFathon I will be getting the Delorme Street Atlas software and get it up and running. Neat stuff that does a lot of different things.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I personally don't care for Garmins mapsource, I was greatly disapointed and thought it was a waste of time.
    LOL! I bet you're the ONLY one who doesn't like Mapsource!

(But are you using it on a PDA or trying to use it on a laptop? It's FANTASTIC on a PDA.)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    LOL! I bet you're the ONLY one who doesn't like Mapsource!

(But are you using it on a PDA or trying to use it on a laptop? It's FANTASTIC on a PDA.)

Nope he is not the only one. I don't like it either. The detail is not as good as Delorme Topo but as of right now you can not put Delorme Topo maps on a GPS. But Delorme Topo blows away Mapsource on the computer.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Nope he is not the only one. I don't like it either. The detail is not as good as Delorme Topo but as of right now you can not put Delorme Topo maps on a GPS. But Delorme Topo blows away Mapsource on the computer.
    Well, I wasn't talking about the Topo version, so I'll shut up. If we get around to discussing Mapsource City Select, knock me up-side-of-my-head.