vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Challenges

Default New Challenges

To all of you that like my challenging hides, three new caches will be coming out, one a week over the next 3 weeks.
    "MacGuivers Cache" a number 5 hide. "Mind Bender # 2" a number 4 hide.
    and "DNF at the GATE"a number 4.5 hide.
    Can you find them all without loosing your sanity.

Also coming up, Maines first Geo-cache Rally. Date not set yet, but as soon as it is I'll log info here. 5 countys in southern Maine, 15-20 caches, plus locationless caches, plus other geohides. a real geo scavenger hunt.
    teams limited to 4 persons, preregistration to guarentee admission,and many prizes and awards for all finishers.

Caches that make you think. John

Could you explain a little what a Geo-cache Rally is?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    Can you find them all without loosing your sanity.
    I think this is unlikely for me - I have not found most of your others and am at the edge of sanity as it is. But I'm not sure it would be fair to say that your caches are to blame for that - hehehehe

Your plans sound interesting!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Could you explain a little what a Geo-cache Rally is?
    Myself and gob-ler, will lay out between 15 and 20 caches throughout Southern maine (all 1.2 to 2 hides, believe it or not). We will also have "locationless caches" and other geo-targets you have to find as well. All cache info and co-ords will be emailed out at sunset the night before the event to anyone compeating. You can then sit down with your team and plan your own route. You will be able to start at sunset the day of the event anywhere you wish, and you will have the full day to find as many caches and targets as you can before finishing at a meeting for supper. Scores will be tallied and awards, and prises will be presented to contestants.
    We will be hitting up different stores for donated prises, but may end up charging a modest admission fee in order to give out nice awards and possibly a traveling throphy, (kept by the winner till the following year)
    Teams will be limited to 4 persons. All teams will have to preregister because it will probrably be limited to 25 or 30 teams. (Depending on space at the resturant)(Which has not been chosen yet.
    It is going to be a combination geo-cache hunt and geo-scavenger hunt rolled into one.
    I have put on over 25 Rallyes in the past, and all contestants always had a ball and couldn't wait for the next one.
    Since Geocaching is in reality a game, this turns it into a competition similar to last weekends cache-a-thon, only it is reguated and has rules so that everyone has an even playing field, and everyone has the same chance of winning.
    More info will be released as it progresses. John

I kind of figured it was something like that. But I thought everyone would start and finish at the same place. But if you did that then you would be bumping into each other all day. I like this idea and have a few more question on it though.

1. What will keep people from starting the minute they get the email sent to them at sunset?

2. Have we a date yet? April might be a good time as long as we do not get any snow. There are no events in that month.

3. How far will the caches be spread out? I not asking where they will be. I am just asking a ballpark figure of how much driving one would have to do in order to get them all.

4. Do we have to do them as a team all in the same car or can we do them in sperate cars?

Thats all for now. I really like the idea and I hope to participate. Will not know until the date is set though. Thanks for putting this together.
    Blazing Troll

Teams could not start untill sunrise because they would have to have a pix taken at each cache in the daylight, HeHe

Teams would be in the same vehicle.

Some teams may be 2 people, some may be 3 people, none more than 4 people.

All teams vehicles would be marked w/ a sticker on the windshield or rear window. At a cache site if another team is there, the second team cannot approach closer tham 300 ft to the cache untill the first team meets them on the trail.

Remember this is a competition. Every team has the same oppurtunities as the next team.

I believe when teams are entered in a competition everything should be done to make sure everyone plays by the same rules.

Believe me this will be fun, and fair.

Don't know for sure yet the length of the course, some of that would depend on how accurately a person plots there own route. I'mguessing the route will run aproximately 200 to 250 miles.
    The hardest part of the event will be planning your own route. You will be told where all caches are within reason. Then you have to plot the route you will take. Everyones route will be different since you can start anywhere.

I ran a geo-rally in Florida when I was there in Jan. 12 counties and 350 miles. The concept was great, but the execution and proper management of it was really lacking. There was no scorecard, no-one knew where they really finished, no-one checked for any verification of cache finds or other finds. Only one guy checked scorecards, and his word was it. There were a lot of things that should have been done differently.

John

Default Texas Challenge

Y'all might want to check out this years Texas Challange, GCRHB6. It was a great event. There were 4 teams, Central - Austin, Eastern - Houston, SE - San Antonio, and North - Dallas. Each team had up to 20 sub-teams, with 2-10 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    Teams could not start untill sunrise because they would have to have a pix taken at each cache in the daylight, HeHe

John
    Sounds great John. I am looking forward to this. I am assuming these will all be new chaches that will be released the day of the event or are these caches just for this event only?
    Blazing Troll

All new caches, to be activated the afternoon of the event if poss.
    John

Wink little off subject

Rick, I cant help noticing your coin. It's really nice!! But I have noticed the hiker in the foreground is looking down. Is that the look of another DNF?
    Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.