vb:literal>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine's 1000th Geocache

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread suggesting that the website maybe get some suggestions from all our members in here about putting together a list of 5 or maybe 10 of the better caches out there. A list from micros to virtuals to traditional to best scenic to best hike to best multi,,,, well you get the picture. Maybe Rick can put together a poll and we can add all the categories that we would like to include in it and then add the top 5 or 10 caches to each category.
    This way when a new member comes in he can get an idea of where the better caches are in the state and maybe even put them into sub-categories by county or regions of our great state we live in. Just a suggestion , I have seen these lists in other state organizations websites and think that we could do something here as well. What are your thoughts?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Smile A Day in Deer Isle

You can't beat a day of caching in Deer Isle/Stonington area. Becket has some outstanding hides in some beautiful places. Anybody else agree?

I'll second your statement, Cameo! We had loads of fun doing the caches on the island during the Kayak event.

d’76 Guest

I agree I liked Beckys caches on the island

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    A couple of weeks ago I started a thread suggesting that the website maybe get some suggestions from all our members in here about putting together a list of 5 or maybe 10 of the better caches out there. A list from micros to virtuals to traditional to best scenic to best hike to best multi,,,, well you get the picture. Maybe Rick can put together a poll and we can add all the categories that we would like to include in it and then add the top 5 or 10 caches to each category.
    This way when a new member comes in he can get an idea of where the better caches are in the state and maybe even put them into sub-categories by county or regions of our great state we live in. Just a suggestion , I have seen these lists in other state organizations websites and think that we could do something here as well. What are your thoughts?
    The only way to set up a vote like you saying it to list all 1,000 caches in the state of Maine and let people vote on them to see which one they like best. Wow. I don't have the time to site in front of the computer putting together a voting poll with 1,000 votes options together. I don't know if you can even have a vote with 1,000 options in it.
    Blazing Troll

Maybe something to consided would be putting together a list (maybe three or four lists that represent the different parts of the state) that would list 4 or 5 of the different types of caches that would be considered model caches. The types could be Traditional, Micro, Multi, Puzzle etc.

Then these lists could be pinned on this web page someplace prominent so that folks could find them easily here and we could also point folks in the right direction.

The idea that they represent what would be the type of thing to strive for. Then too in a positive fashion we all would have the opportunity to help or teach as the case may be folks that want to learn.

I have to believe that folks will follow a good example if it is set. I know several folks that have been out and changed out cache containers and just doing this made a huge difference in the overall perception of a cache.

Just some thoughts.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    Maybe something to consided would be putting together a list (maybe three or four lists that represent the different parts of the state) that would list 4 or 5 of the different types of caches that would be considered model caches. The types could be Traditional, Micro, Multi, Puzzle etc.

Then these lists could be pinned on this web page someplace prominent so that folks could find them easily here and we could also point folks in the right direction.

The idea that they represent what would be the type of thing to strive for. Then too in a positive fashion we all would have the opportunity to help or teach as the case may be folks that want to learn.

I have to believe that folks will follow a good example if it is set. I know several folks that have been out and changed out cache containers and just doing this made a huge difference in the overall perception of a cache.

Just some thoughts.

Who would create this list???? I bet if you and I sat in a room, while we may agree 85% of the time or more but I'm willing bet the other percent we disagree will result in hard feelings and arguments. Now lets throw in 550 plus/minus cachers and come to some kind of concensus....LOL. Great idea if it can be done objectively.

I was not thinking or sugesting anyone in particular to draw up the lists. It was just a thought, probably not a very good one.

I withdraw my idea! Maybe we should just leave it as it is and then we will have what we have always had.

Change is not a 4 letter word!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I agree with your thinking.

The two best ways to maintain and improve quality are communication and setting an example.

Cachers are going to percive what a cache is by the caches they find. If they find a cache made from a beer can under a bush at Burger King, they will think that's what it should be. If they find rarely maintained caches, they will feel it's fine to do the same.

If we don't communicate, especially with the newbies, they have no other idea of what caching is besides what they find.

"The way caching should be" in Maine is more than just a good container and a walk. It's the way we all get along despite our wide diversity of backgrounds and lifestyles because we like caching so much.
    All valid points Dave, thank you.

Those belong to Wudeater and Wife, Now known as We3Beans I think. They are Winter fuel assistance packets. Ok, just kidding They are a sig item of theirs and they do visit these forums and are nice people. Your curiosity is valid, however, as I don't beleive they mark the bags.
    They are marked as "Wudeater Care Packages" and yes the were their sig items. I expect there will be a new one coming soon.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    My sweety and I found our first cache on march 25, a year ago this saturday. At that time there were 650 caches in maine. With the 1000 today thats a 53 % increase in one year. If it continues to grow at that rate we could have 1,500 by this time next year. I'd guess that won't happen, but it would be nice to think it could. Think of all those FTF's. HeHeHe
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are close to 1500 caches in Maine a year from now. The growth in the number of caches placed has been pretty linear for the past 3 years with and increase of about 50% per year.
    March 2002 - 60
    March 2003 - 270
    March 2004 - 420 +/-
    March 2005 - 650 +/-
    March 2006 - 1000
    I'm sure there will be some lame caches placed in the next year, but there are still lots of great places out there to hide a new cache. I think that we are going to see a lot more puzzle caches and urban micros as the best spots for traditional caches get snatched up.