vb:literal>

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Maine's 1000th Geocache

[quote=dave1976]
    IWell lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.
    Would you be embarrassed to drive this FORD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eleanor 01.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	122  

d’76 Guest

[quote=Hoamdezinahs]
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    IWell lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.
    Would you be embarrassed to drive this FORD.
    Yah I like the new MUstangs, Hard to do rural caches in one of those though LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMaine
    Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved. The only folks that I think would be even REMOTELY eligible to run around and name the top 100 caches would be the 500+ people that have literally done EVERY SINGLE cache in Maine, including the non-existent new one that might come out tomorrow...

Wait, that's NO ONE, never mind 500.

Personally, I would be very VERY displeased if one of my caches hit a so-called official ‘geocachingmaine’ top 100 list. I would immediately insist on its removal because if there is anything that I am not, it's an elitist. Somewhere out there is another 100 caches that are still better than mine but that certain someone with the ‘power’ to vote didn’t even bother to cache any of them in the first place.

Having a group of 20 people that are the only regulars on a small website speak for the entire geocaching community in Maine ABOUT ANYTHING geocaching related is not only hurtful, it's absurd. Just because one may have more posts than 95% of the 100 people that actually come to this website DOESN'T give them more of a voice, only a louder one. Quite frankly, sometimes with some of the posts that I read on here? It’s in a very ugly, very loud voice. I have seen time and time again where someone says something they know they shouldn’t have said, something very juvenile, only to apologize later and delete their post. Personally, I think that any forum subject or post that is directed at any one single geocacher needs to be removed, no matter what it may or may not be about, good or bad. Save that sort of thing for a chat room or better still, a private e-mail between two individuals. An example would be to have a simple online list of accomplishments (100th FTF, 400th find, etc etc) and be done with it. A public discussion about either is not remotely neccessary. We all have opinions, no need to hash them out here!

If you don’t think that there are other geocaching clubs across the country that are sitting back and literally laughing at our website and our ‘organization’ then think again. Some of the things I read out here flat out embarrass me as a Maine geocacher!

It would be great to see this website acquire a better sense of community rather than the clique it surely has become. Perhaps better still, model itself more after it’s ‘parent’ site, geocaching.com itself. An injection of professionalism on this site would stand out as well.

On geocaching.com, you will never find a cache approver (or worthy charter member) speaking ill of ANY cache in a public forum, you will never find the owners of groundspeak speaking publicly for or against any one geocacher over another. Those people that formed this site need to hold themselves to the same standard as their counterparts in groundspeak.com - it's really that simple, or remove the 'Maine' part from this club and just call it for what it is. A few gecoachers that only get along with each other.

Sadly, there has even been talk of another geocaching club starting up in Maine for these very reasons and sincerely, that is not only a shame since we technically already have such a club (geocachingmaine.org) but that such an idea has even had to have been discussed.
    Warning: This is one of those "may be insulting to others" type of posts "that will not be deleted" So if you don't like it... DON'T READ IT! and if you read it and tell me your offended by it, well that there is just more proof that you're a fool and you watch too much T.V.

Well first off no one is forcing you to sit here and read our forums. We apologize sincerely for being freindly and having discussions, arguments, and silly absurd enjoyable moments. We will immediately break off all freindships and conduct ourselves in a more civilized manner. We'll try to be more elit... uhh proffesional about geocaching, as I type this I am currently having uniforms made up for everyone to wear while geocaching so people will know that we are serious about geocaching. And if a list is made of favorite caches by geocaching.org members so what, it's a list of our favorites caches by our active members for reference by people that would be looking for enjoyable caches. If you assume that when reading that list, that those poeple who made it are lords of geocaching and know everything there is to know about geocaching and so therefor the list of favorite maine geocaches is infalable and all of those caches are in fact maines best, then you know what... THAT'S YOUR FAULT FOR BEING *removed*, NOT OURS. A list is what it is, it's like watching the news or reading the newspaper, do you believe everything you see and hear?? no, you take the information for what it is and form your own opions about it.
    And also I think that the proffesionalism of geocaching is insulting, geocaching is a fun family sport for kids to run and have fun and parents to play with techno toys, not have the kids march in single file line down the trail. GC.Com is a proffesional looking website because that's what it needs to be, user friendly and proffesional looking, no one would take a group that large seriously if it was an angelfire site with a long list of misspelled caches on it.
    So in closing sit back, relax, find a few caches.
    Last edited by Cache Maine; 03-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

d’76 Guest

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    As far as this forum goes, sure we have our moments but I can reassure you that in the end we are all good friends and there is nothing better than having a good one on one with another cacher once in while, it's good for the soul. and it the end we always make up and we are all together as one.
    I agree, when I started caching I was reading the GC.Com forums, but I thought it was too large, too many people trying to make their own opions. I like this website because there's a constant group of people, there are those that join and stay, and those that join and leave. But I like the ones that have joined and stayed because they all have something in common, 1. that they all have their own opionion 2. they understand that others have opionions and 3. after the bloody noses and black eyes we're all still friends, but we're friends with a wider perspective thanks to the other people that helped to open our eyes. This is a great forum with good people.

and for those of you that are having trouble with the concept of what this thread is turning into....

Forum:
    n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
    2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
    3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.

# A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

Elitist
    e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
    1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
    2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Community
    n. pl. com·mu·ni·ties

1. The district or locality in which such a group lives.

1. A group of people having common interests: the scientific community; the international business community.
    2. A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society: the community of color.
    1. Similarity or identity: a community of interests.
    2. Sharing, participation, and fellowship.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.
    where would you build a fire in a kyak??? and if they were eskimos wouldn't the kyak be frozen in the water?? and why don't they just buy a boat with heat already in it?? and if they were "out on a lake" where would they get the wood to build a fire??

Geeze dave, you should really think before you go around saying stupid stuff like that!

Default 5 Minutes of Fame

Maine's 1000th Geocache but my first hide! Thanks for letting me know.

I was excited to accidently be part of a milestone for Maine geocaching when I first started reading this thread, but I am concerned about the posts that follow. Since I have 5 minutes of fame I am going to seize the moment. Here are my feelings about the sport and this site.

I got involved in caching as another way to enjoy the outdoors and play with toys (GPSr). I had only done a few local caches when I went to the 2005 WWWWWW event in Winslow and met some of you. I never became obsessed with the numbers but rather have enjoyed visiting new places and the challenge of finding a well hidden cache. Most of my finds are local but I have been to some nearby places I would have otherwise never seen. I stopped trading items early on as that part of the game does not interest me and I think finding the treasures should be left for the kids.

As a casual participant I delayed placing my first cache until I was sure I would commit to maintaining it for a few years and I found a spot nearby where I could check it easily. Most importantly, I wanted to put it in a place that people would enjoy visiting. I selected a quality container because I have found some cracked plastic boxes with wet contents. I called the Town office and got permission to place the cache. They agreed because they thought people that do geocaching are the kind of people they want to visit the park. No joke, that's what I was told. Coincidently, there was a wire service story about caching in the local paper that day.

Now, about this website. I visit every week or two to catch up on what is happening. I have been troubled by the tone of many posts and how some threads take a left turn into ranting about cache quality, placement and trade items. Although much of this is true, the way it is presented is unfortunate. I don't understand what can be gained by posting stuff like this. I am very disappointed that my five minutes of fame from accidently placing the 1000th cache has a thread that turned left. I agree with others that feel this tone turns people off and I am worried about how first time visitors perceive Maine cachers.

It is not all negative! I have learned much about caching on this site. The Geocoin project was a huge success and I bought 5 for myself. (Another stroke of luck got me coin #9 in the lottery.) I am heading to Georgia in a couple of weeks and hope to leave one in a cache there. Organizing the events on this site seems very successful and the concern some of you displayed for the family that went to this year's WWWWW and felt excluded was admirable. Everyone also seems eager to celebrate individual milestones, birthdays and to welcome new visitors.

I believe that poor quality caches are placed by well meaning people who want to get involved in a new hobby but don't have the experience to make good choices. Instead of ranting about bad caches, perhaps some informational material about quality containers, site selection and trade items could be permanently placed in a prominent area on the site. Perhaps making a practice of always contacting the owner of a cache requiring maintenance should be considered. I would like to see a list of great Maine caches permanently displayed but don't want to make a contest out of selecting them. After all, this site is maintained and supported by a relatively small group of savy cachers who could develop a list. Or, a group of you pick 5 in each category and do a poll. It's your site, make the list.

I think caching is a way to have some fun outdoors. Some of you take it way more seriously than I do but you are also the folks who have placed the really great caches and organized the events. You should celebrate the success you have brought to an "unorganized" sport. If you want to get new folks excited and involved in Maine caching, keep the tone positive. Don't forget, this site is more than a place for a small group to exchange stories about beer, the price of gas and snowmobiling. Those are all great subjects worthy or hours of discussion but this site is the "unofficial" home Geocaching in Maine. You put it on the coin! Stay on topic and stay positive. There are folks all over the world visiting this site and expecting to read about caching. I have seen a few posts by folks from away who are coming to the state looking for advice on what caches to visit. Although you all jump in to help, it sometimes seems like those posts interrupt some of the strange threads that get started.

The biggest geocaching thrill I have yet had is when I read this part of a post by J & D Moore after they found the Pleasant Point Park cache: "My 4 y.o. son found this first, he was nothing but smiles."

Okay, so I took more than my 5 minutes and I guess I put "Geocaching According to Steve" all in one post. Take it for what it is worth and keep it positive. Now, I have 5 new local caches to find!
    The trouble with doing nothing is that it is hard to know when you're finished.

That's a good point that has been brought up in just about every "rant about caching thread" Caches are special to everyone, a 4yr who finds a McToy that was hidden just for him to find is probably the happiest kid on the face of the planet at that time, likewise there was a cache that people were ranting about that was too easy and in a poor location, then someone brought up the fact that the cache was hidden by a child, probably a very excited child that was having the time of his life hiding a treasure for others to find. Just because we might not get a thrill out of a cache, someone somewhere else is having the time of their life seeing who has visited their buried treasure. everyone just has too keep in mind that geocaching is a family sport and that there are lots of diffrent people that participate, not everyone is a mountain climbing indiana jones, there are kids, and people in wheelchairs, and elderly people that love geocaching just as much as we do.

And don't worry steve, you can put a spin on it and consider yourself a conversation centerpeice!

and i still like you (even though i was going to hide a cache at that park next week )

okay, i've spent enough time in front of the computer on a sat morning, i'm going caching.

Exclamation 2 items removed

Please refrain from name calling. This is a family forum and it needs to stay that way.
    Last edited by Cache Maine; 03-25-2006 at 01:47 PM.