vb:literal>

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine's 1000th Geocache

Default 1000 cache stats

As some of you know, I keep (or used to; I've slacked all Winter) keep stats of Maine caches on my web page. In honor of Maine hitting 1000 active caches, here's the stats!

Total Caches: 1000

Travel Bugs:
    Total TBs: 306
    Caches w/TBs: 196 (19.6%)
    Most TBs: 46
    GCKT28 Old Burying Ground

Caches by type:
    Traditional Cache: 823 (82.3%)
    Multi-Cache: 76 (7.6%)
    Virtual Cache: 35 (3.5%)
    Letterbox Hybrid: 3 (.3%)
    Event Cache: 3 (.3%)
    Webcam Cache: 2 (.2%)
    Unknown Cache: 53 (5.3%)
    Earthcache: 5 (.5%)

Caches by container:
    micro: 81 (8.1%)
    small: 96 (9.6%)
    regular: 716 (71.6%)
    large: 6 (.6%)
    other: 32 (3.2%)
    virtual: 32 (3.2%)
    not chosen: 37 (3.7%)

Cache Ratings:
    Difficulty:
    Minimum: 1
    Maximum: 5
    Average: 2
    Terrain:
    Minimum: 1
    Maximum: 5
    Average: 2.2

Cache Age:
    Oldest Cache: 2001-01-02
    Youngest Cache: 2006-06-17
    Average hidden date: 2004-07-07

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    As some of you know, I keep (or used to; I've slacked all Winter) keep stats of Maine caches on my web page. In honor of Maine hitting 1000 active caches, here's the stats!

Um...

I've just archived the WWWWWW2 event cache. Can you recalculate the stats, please?

LOL!

I don't see any problem with direction of geocaching in Maine. The old timers are still coming up with legendary caches. The new folks are pushing the edge with fresh ideas. There are bad containers, bad camo and trashy places that just don't apeal to all, but there always has been! And, I bet the percentage hasn't changed much.

Maine does have one great advantage: By far, most of the state is interesting, accessable and safe. I've been to places where the only public land is in cemetaries; places where caches are at every light post and burger joint; places where caches are all .12 miles apart; places where you just don't dare go out and look for a cache without a body guard. The few wet caches and Mctoys Maine has is a very minor problem

d’76 Guest

Edited because I will admit that I was being an @$$.
    Last edited by d’76; 03-24-2006 at 12:15 AM.

d’76 Guest

Still being an @$$, My apologies
    Last edited by d’76; 03-24-2006 at 12:16 AM.

I for one think that most of you know where I am on this one, several of you may actually understand and grasp what has been said in the past.

As for the question of what "caching in Maine - the way it should be" means, I think the question asked is a fair question.

It is true that all of my caches have not been done here. I have cached in 11 or 12 states and Canada. Caching in most of those places is really no different than it is here with the possible exception of cache density.

What I do see here that you do not generally see elsewhere is a certain feeling or attitude that most everything is right or well here. Let me state again for the record that things are no different here than anywhere else for the most part. In many respects things here do not measure up to other states. The ammo can is starting to get the attention it needs here. With the extremes of weather and temps here they are IMOHO the container of choice. Very very few of the plastic containers I have found cut the mustard. Cracked from the elements, wet inside, lids that no longer go on and seal properly. It is a bigger problem here than elsewhere I have been. Cache maintaince here is another subject that needs to be addressed.

Out caching this week most of the plastic containers are compromised. The exceptions are the lock and locks that Kaching Karen put out in Augusta. Most plastic out there is doomed to failure and along with the failure of the container comes the waste of wet logs and wet mildewed stash.

As I have said before, a nice walk is one thing, but if at the end of the nice walk with the nice view the cache container is lacking it does not speak well of caching in Maine. Hiking the way it should be? Yes, I guess so, but last time I checked the cache needed a container and a log. Stash for me is optional, but most of the caches I have been to really do not have much for the younger crowd. Also, the folks caching here do not seem to trade the way others trade. There is a lot of junk in cache containers. I was alway under the impression that we should always try to leave better than we take.

Here's a list of such junk that I have removed from caches I have done here in the State.

popsicle sticks, candy wrappers, rusted toy cars, mildewed plastics, plastic bottle caps, broken cassette tapes, x rated magazine pictures, broken shoe laces, water soaked and mildewed patches, logs so wet you could not write in them. The list could go on.

I do have a question, what are these bags of bark I find that someone is leaving? A signature item? A joke? A statement? Beats me!

I have also left new log pages and books where needed (I always carry a spare or two with me) and always an extra pencil or two.

As you all know caching is more than taking, it counts what you give back.

I do not think John was putting anyone down, he was just trying to get people to stop and think. His comments were not personal in any way.

As for the personal slant to the last post pointed towards John, I really don't think that type of post is needed here. It borders on a personal attack. Maybe I am wrong with that. If you don't want folks to respond honestly with a fair question then lets just close the discussion.

Some can continue to say it is the "way it should be", but the other side of the coin also has to be looked at. There are many places that things could be greatly improved. It is good that questions are being asked. Would that we would all look honestly at the whole picture. Someone has said it well, "Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees".

As for the concern about where things are going, the increase of micros will surely happen. It is the natural progression of things. It is all the more reason for each of us to be interacting in a positive fashion with people. It's easy to point our finger and make the comments we do. It's something different to be out there putting the "Good" caches out there. Surely there can be honesty in our log entries. Have you ever said "nice cache" or something similar when you were really thinking something else? Maybe we should try and find a way to say that things could have been done in a better way. Food for thought!

If all this exchange causes us to stop and think then maybe it is worth it.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

d’76 Guest

I have to admit that my comments where a bit abrasive and for that I will apologise and I will delete them. Many of them may have been a bit uncalled for. I agree that many caches may not stand up to my standards either. BUt I would not go and publicly bad mouth them either. MAybe I read to far into your post.

Remember that Someone placed that cache there for a reason. As insignificant as it may have been to us it ment something to them. Whether it was for the numbers or it was for the memories that they may have had. I may have placed a pretty lame cache over the winter to some of the folks however the area is important to me and I would have been rather hurt to hear or see what I saw in the last post while I may have upset you, The folks that own the caches that you speak of may have been hurt aswell.

Regardless of how great caching is in Maine, we can improve things.

One way of improving cache quality in Maine is helping new cachers. I know of cachers that started out with Tupperware that was consumed by the elements and then replaced them with a better container and better hiding. I also know of some that placed a cache and never looked back. I usually put a note in the cache log when something needs attention. I sometimes send an email when privately to save the cacher from felling embarrassed. On the other hand, trying to suggest any advice to the seasoned cacher, like the regulars here, is a like preaching to the choir.

Placing model caches has been suggested before. The reasoning is that if people see ammo boxes, they will think ammo boxes are the way caches are hidden.

A cache rating system has also been discussed. But, it is very hard to encourage the "out of the box" thinking that makes caching fun. And, rating systems can be very negative in other ways.

Replacing log books, trade items and even cache containers is nice, but it is really up to the hider to do maintenance.

Adopting caches from people who are no longer interested in maintenance is another way to improve caching. I have adopted some that were going to be archived.

Does anyone else have ideas on how to improve things?

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Regardless of how great caching is in Maine, we can improve things
    I agree with your thinking.

The two best ways to maintain and improve quality are communication and setting an example.

Cachers are going to percive what a cache is by the caches they find. If they find a cache made from a beer can under a bush at Burger King, they will think that's what it should be. If they find rarely maintained caches, they will feel it's fine to do the same.

If we don't communicate, especially with the newbies, they have no other idea of what caching is besides what they find.

"The way caching should be" in Maine is more than just a good container and a walk. It's the way we all get along despite our wide diversity of backgrounds and lifestyles because we like caching so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    I do have a question, what are these bags of bark I find that someone is leaving? A signature item? A joke? A statement? Beats me!
    Those belong to Wudeater and Wife, Now known as We3Beans I think. They are Winter fuel assistance packets. Ok, just kidding They are a sig item of theirs and they do visit these forums and are nice people. Your curiosity is valid, however, as I don't beleive they mark the bags.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tat

Replacing log books, trade items and even cache containers is nice, but it is really up to the hider to do maintenance.

Adopting caches from people who are no longer interested in maintenance is another way to improve caching. I have adopted some that were going to be archived.

Terra caching is trying to raise the bar and if you look it only has i think 2 hides in the state. I know it is not very many.

I think that caching is what you make of it. I dont mind finding junk inside because I dont trade. A wet log book from time to time is a bit inconveint but a simple needs maintance post should clear that up and give 10 days if that dont work then send a needs archiving to gps fun. He is very good that if the owners are still active than he will send them a note. If they dont respond than he will archive it and someone can go pick up the litter.

To me if it keeps me outside and I am in good company and have a beer afterwards and enjoy dinner with friends the day was priceless.