vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine's 1000th Geocache

Default Maine's 1000th Geocache

Congrats SteverPH

WOW

Looks like your Pleasant Point Park cache is the 1000th Maine geocache in the official listings for Maine. Now someone should try to beat Mountain Wanderer's (NH) record when he had logged every cache in NH including the cache event he was attending that day.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...9-5da99f9c3cc5

YOP

Hey that's great for Steverph. Do I get a prize for the FTF on Maine's
    1000th cache?........
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

At this point it is true that there there are 1000 listed caches, but, it's not really Maines # 1000 cache. Maine has had over 1400 caches listed, archived, relisted, deleted, etc. not to mention locationless which are no longer avalible. I checked with GPSFun a couple weeks ago on this very topic.
    Not to break your bubble or anything, just facts. John

Awwww, crap, what a bubble buster.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

It is still a milestone though if Maine has broken 1000 active caches "at the same time" for the first time.

Hi John,

Just trying to make the members of Geocaching Maine aware of the growth of this activity in Maine. When explaining geocaching to people one of the first questions asked is usually "How many geocaches are there in Maine?"
    It wasn't that long ago it was less than four hundred. I think that 1000 is sort of a milestone and should be acknowledged. I have always gone by the GC Com listings by state. After all it's not about the numbers.

Cliff

Smile

My sweety and I found our first cache on march 25, a year ago this saturday. At that time there were 650 caches in maine. With the 1000 today thats a 53 % increase in one year. If it continues to grow at that rate we could have 1,500 by this time next year. I'd guess that won't happen, but it would be nice to think it could. Think of all those FTF's. HeHeHe

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    If it continues to grow at that rate we could have 1,500 by this time next year. I'd guess that won't happen, but it would be nice to think it could. Think of all those FTF's. HeHeHe
    I think the only way for that to happen would be for the the quality of caches in Maine to deteriorate GREATLY. We'll be reminiscing about the "good old days" when caching in Maine used to be "the way caching should be"..

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I think the only way for that to happen would be for the the quality of caches in Maine to deteriorate GREATLY. We'll be reminiscing about the "good old days" when caching in Maine used to be "the way caching should be"..
    Exactly what is "the way caching should be" I would think it means a nice trail walk ending in a beautiful ocean view with a good dry container filled with decient stach. When is the last time anyone found that???
    Most Maine hunts that I have been on are a so so trail at best, with,a leaky gladware container filled with reject McToys.
    I've cached here now for a year, and unless we take our grandkids with us, who don't mind taking some of the "treasure", I have never found a cache worth trading in. (Except Gobblers and Rumblebees Christmas caches) More than half of the caches we have found sould be archived because of the crappy containers, the trash in them, or the lousy trail. I've been on some pretty lousy "pole line" hunts, and other crappy walks.
    Maine, as much as any other state, has the potential of nice trail walks, and great views. But be honest, what percentage of finds really have those. I like a nice trail hike as much as the next guy, especially if it takes you somewhere special, I just dont see that many Maine caches that are what I would consider "the way caching should be".
    As an adult, caches filled with junk don't do anything for me. I'll take a challenging micro hunt over that any day of the week.
    I say bring on the micros, bring on the challenges, keep the trail walks, keep the scienic views, just get rid of the junk and crappy containers.
    Just my thoughts, John

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I hear you there! But, I guess maybe we're the type that don't like change as much as others. While we can still try and promote our views, we still have to go with the flow.