vb:literal>

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Maine's 1000th Geocache

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    The only way to set up a vote like you saying it to list all 1,000 caches in the state of Maine and let people vote on them to see which one they like best. Wow. I don't have the time to site in front of the computer putting together a voting poll with 1,000 votes options together. I don't know if you can even have a vote with 1,000 options in it.

I'm not saying we have to go through all 1000 caches to see which ones we like the best. I'm sure everyone has their favorite cache or 2 that they remember more than others. I was just suggesting that maybe when we have new visitors to our site it would be nice to let them know of a few standouts that they could go to that's all. What's so hard about that?

So I guess I'll start if off with my own list:

My favorite scenic views:
    Gimme Shelter GCMT72
    Tumbledown Challenge GC67D4

My favorite multi challenge:
    Halfmile GCH21C
    Thornehead Challenge GCGZHC

My favorite Puzzle cache:
    I dont have one ,did I say I HATE PUZZLES...lol

Favorite Micro:
    Alexanders Challenge GCPMAW
    Any of Laughing Terry's "Right in Plain Sight" micro's

Ok that's just a start but you get the idea.There a lots more categories as well but this is just to get things going. I haven't seen probably half of what the state has to offer but I have been pretty much all over the state at one time or another. These are just a drop in the bucket so if you have your favorites let's hear about them and maybe we can start a list at some point. IF not then oh well at least I gave it a shot.......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I was just suggesting that maybe when we have new visitors to our site it would be nice to let them know of a few standouts that they could go to that's all. What's so hard about that?
    I hate to see list of "favorite caches". If you asemble 10 people, you'll get 10 "favorite caches". I remember one cacher who got highly uptight when I dumped on him for saying that the FAMOUS cache at Wendy's in Newport was one of his favorites. To me, a micro-in-a-lightpost isn't a cache, although I'll log them along with everyone else. But - to take it to the extreme - I'd be embarassed to advertise a micro-in-a-lightpost as one of Maine's best caches.

If anyone wants to express their OPINION as to their favorite caches, that's one thing. But I hate to see a "list" being developed.

(HEy - just my 2 cents worth...)

Default How about a survey?

I like the idea of a "Best Of Maine" list of caches with a lot of categories. I used one in LA to find the "Best caches in LA". It did help me find some great caches but, the ones I liked best, never made the list. Still, it seemed to do little if anything to improve the quality of caches.

Perhaps another way would be to conduct a survey to find out what cachers really want. It would be especially helpful if we could get "newbies" involved. And, rather than send an annoying mass email, we could distribute the survey in caches. I bet it would not take long for the regulars here to distribute a questionnaire to nearly every cache in Maine!

This might get everyone thinking about quality, and maybe even get a few newbies informed about this site.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I like the idea of a "Best Of Maine" list of caches with a lot of categories.
    Yeah, but who are we going to "elect" to decide what is the "Best of Maine"???

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Yeah, but who are we going to "elect" to decide what is the "Best of Maine"???

Brads got time have him do it

Another category- best cache for physically challenged individuals or those with physical limitations.
    I welcome suggestions, especially in the western mountains area. You can email me personally.
    Without rambling on in detail, I want to say that my experience caching in Maine last Oct gave me a totally new outlook for the "dreaded urban micros" as I used to call them. While they are still not my cup of tea, I have a new respect for them and those who hunt them. I take back all the bad things I ever said about the magnetic key holder on a lamppost.
    After reading the postings in this thread, I encourage you all to remember that "the way caching should be" is and always will be different for each individual. Don't be too quick to criticize a cache, just because it isn't what you like. You all have a good thing going on up there - don't be too hard on each other!

Don't worry, I'll take it from here... I'll decide the best caches in maine!!

lets see, Shawmut fishing hole, Fort Halifax, Winslow running trails, Waterville boat launch, Benedicts Landing, and Messalonskee mishap
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved. The only folks that I think would be even REMOTELY eligible to run around and name the top 100 caches would be the 500+ people that have literally done EVERY SINGLE cache in Maine, including the non-existent new one that might come out tomorrow...

Wait, that's NO ONE, never mind 500.

Personally, I would be very VERY displeased if one of my caches hit a so-called official ‘geocachingmaine’ top 100 list. I would immediately insist on its removal because if there is anything that I am not, it's an elitist. Somewhere out there is another 100 caches that are still better than mine but that certain someone with the ‘power’ to vote didn’t even bother to cache any of them in the first place.

Having a group of 20 people that are the only regulars on a small website speak for the entire geocaching community in Maine ABOUT ANYTHING geocaching related is not only hurtful, it's absurd. Just because one may have more posts than 95% of the 100 people that actually come to this website DOESN'T give them more of a voice, only a louder one. Quite frankly, sometimes with some of the posts that I read on here? It’s in a very ugly, very loud voice. I have seen time and time again where someone says something they know they shouldn’t have said, something very juvenile, only to apologize later and delete their post. Personally, I think that any forum subject or post that is directed at any one single geocacher needs to be removed, no matter what it may or may not be about, good or bad. Save that sort of thing for a chat room or better still, a private e-mail between two individuals. An example would be to have a simple online list of accomplishments (100th FTF, 400th find, etc etc) and be done with it. A public discussion about either is not remotely neccessary. We all have opinions, no need to hash them out here!

If you don’t think that there are other geocaching clubs across the country that are sitting back and literally laughing at our website and our ‘organization’ then think again. Some of the things I read out here flat out embarrass me as a Maine geocacher!

It would be great to see this website acquire a better sense of community rather than the clique it surely has become. Perhaps better still, model itself more after it’s ‘parent’ site, geocaching.com itself. An injection of professionalism on this site would stand out as well.

On geocaching.com, you will never find a cache approver (or worthy charter member) speaking ill of ANY cache in a public forum, you will never find the owners of groundspeak speaking publicly for or against any one geocacher over another. Those people that formed this site need to hold themselves to the same standard as their counterparts in groundspeak.com - it's really that simple, or remove the 'Maine' part from this club and just call it for what it is. A few gecoachers that only get along with each other.

Sadly, there has even been talk of another geocaching club starting up in Maine for these very reasons and sincerely, that is not only a shame since we technically already have such a club (geocachingmaine.org) but that such an idea has even had to have been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    Exactly what is "the way caching should be" I would think it means a nice trail walk ending in a beautiful ocean view with a good dry container filled with decient stach. When is the last time anyone found that???
    Most Maine hunts that I have been on are a so so trail at best, with,a leaky gladware container filled with reject McToys.
    I've cached here now for a year, and unless we take our grandkids with us, who don't mind taking some of the "treasure", I have never found a cache worth trading in. (Except Gobblers and Rumblebees Christmas caches) More than half of the caches we have found sould be archived because of the crappy containers, the trash in them, or the lousy trail. I've been on some pretty lousy "pole line" hunts, and other crappy walks.
    Maine, as much as any other state, has the potential of nice trail walks, and great views. But be honest, what percentage of finds really have those. I like a nice trail hike as much as the next guy, especially if it takes you somewhere special, I just dont see that many Maine caches that are what I would consider "the way caching should be".
    As an adult, caches filled with junk don't do anything for me. I'll take a challenging micro hunt over that any day of the week.
    I say bring on the micros, bring on the challenges, keep the trail walks, keep the scienic views, just get rid of the junk and crappy containers.
    Just my thoughts, John
    I understand where you are coming from, but I've found just the opposite. Most of the caches that I have found have been good. Yes, sometimes there is the occasional cache where I wonder why the cacher placed it there, occasionally there is a container that is in disrepair and usually I don't end up trading anything (which is why I created GCQZYQ and why I will be doing another one similar to this at some point -- I have an older "palm pilot" -- a Handspring actually -- that I intend to place in that one along with other items valued at $5 or more), but most caches (even the quick ones) have brought me to a neat place with historical significance or a nice vista (albeit not all ocean views -- although Becket's caches on Deer Isle are nothing short of incredible.) I don't know if Maine's got a corner on caching . . . but I have to say that most of the ones I've done I've enjoyed.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    I for one think that most of you know where I am on this one, several of you may actually understand and grasp what has been said in the past.

As for the question of what "caching in Maine - the way it should be" means, I think the question asked is a fair question.

It is true that all of my caches have not been done here. I have cached in 11 or 12 states and Canada. Caching in most of those places is really no different than it is here with the possible exception of cache density.

What I do see here that you do not generally see elsewhere is a certain feeling or attitude that most everything is right or well here. Let me state again for the record that things are no different here than anywhere else for the most part. In many respects things here do not measure up to other states. The ammo can is starting to get the attention it needs here. With the extremes of weather and temps here they are IMOHO the container of choice. Very very few of the plastic containers I have found cut the mustard. Cracked from the elements, wet inside, lids that no longer go on and seal properly. It is a bigger problem here than elsewhere I have been. Cache maintaince here is another subject that needs to be addressed.

Out caching this week most of the plastic containers are compromised. The exceptions are the lock and locks that Kaching Karen put out in Augusta. Most plastic out there is doomed to failure and along with the failure of the container comes the waste of wet logs and wet mildewed stash.

As I have said before, a nice walk is one thing, but if at the end of the nice walk with the nice view the cache container is lacking it does not speak well of caching in Maine. Hiking the way it should be? Yes, I guess so, but last time I checked the cache needed a container and a log. Stash for me is optional, but most of the caches I have been to really do not have much for the younger crowd. Also, the folks caching here do not seem to trade the way others trade. There is a lot of junk in cache containers. I was alway under the impression that we should always try to leave better than we take.

Here's a list of such junk that I have removed from caches I have done here in the State.

popsicle sticks, candy wrappers, rusted toy cars, mildewed plastics, plastic bottle caps, broken cassette tapes, x rated magazine pictures, broken shoe laces, water soaked and mildewed patches, logs so wet you could not write in them. The list could go on.

I do have a question, what are these bags of bark I find that someone is leaving? A signature item? A joke? A statement? Beats me!

I have also left new log pages and books where needed (I always carry a spare or two with me) and always an extra pencil or two.

As you all know caching is more than taking, it counts what you give back.

I do not think John was putting anyone down, he was just trying to get people to stop and think. His comments were not personal in any way.

As for the personal slant to the last post pointed towards John, I really don't think that type of post is needed here. It borders on a personal attack. Maybe I am wrong with that. If you don't want folks to respond honestly with a fair question then lets just close the discussion.

Some can continue to say it is the "way it should be", but the other side of the coin also has to be looked at. There are many places that things could be greatly improved. It is good that questions are being asked. Would that we would all look honestly at the whole picture. Someone has said it well, "Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees".

As for the concern about where things are going, the increase of micros will surely happen. It is the natural progression of things. It is all the more reason for each of us to be interacting in a positive fashion with people. It's easy to point our finger and make the comments we do. It's something different to be out there putting the "Good" caches out there. Surely there can be honesty in our log entries. Have you ever said "nice cache" or something similar when you were really thinking something else? Maybe we should try and find a way to say that things could have been done in a better way. Food for thought!

If all this exchange causes us to stop and think then maybe it is worth it.
    Gotta agree with you on the plastic containers . . . which is why I often elect not to leave my signature item in plastic containers unless I'm pretty sure someone will be there in the next few days (i.e. new cache) since I figure I put quite a bit of time in my signature items and don't want to risk them getting soaking wet. This is also why I have used ammo cans exclusively so far. I do think you are right though . . . people seem to be trying to use better containers, especially when pointed in the right direction as to what works and what does not work for caching.

I also agree with you on the trash in the cache. When I trade I always try to make an equal trade or put something in that is more valuable . . . and oftentimes I'll put something in without taking anything.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."