vb:literal>

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Maine's 1000th Geocache

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Regardless of how great caching is in Maine, we can improve things.

One way of improving cache quality in Maine is helping new cachers. I know of cachers that started out with Tupperware that was consumed by the elements and then replaced them with a better container and better hiding. I also know of some that placed a cache and never looked back. I usually put a note in the cache log when something needs attention. I sometimes send an email when privately to save the cacher from felling embarrassed. On the other hand, trying to suggest any advice to the seasoned cacher, like the regulars here, is a like preaching to the choir.

Placing model caches has been suggested before. The reasoning is that if people see ammo boxes, they will think ammo boxes are the way caches are hidden.

A cache rating system has also been discussed. But, it is very hard to encourage the "out of the box" thinking that makes caching fun. And, rating systems can be very negative in other ways.

Replacing log books, trade items and even cache containers is nice, but it is really up to the hider to do maintenance.

Adopting caches from people who are no longer interested in maintenance is another way to improve caching. I have adopted some that were going to be archived.

Does anyone else have ideas on how to improve things?
    I agree 100% with everything listed here. . . . especially the part about setting the example with the proper containers and maintaining them.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    You can't beat a day of caching in Deer Isle/Stonington area. Becket has some outstanding hides in some beautiful places. Anybody else agree?
    A day spent caching there is a day well spent. One of my best days of caching was when I headed down the coast and did some caches on Sear's Island in Searsport where I met my first cacher -- who happened to be Becket -- and then I spent the rest of the day doing her caches on that incredibly beautiful island.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some "suggested" caches listed out by geographical regions (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid-Coast, Western Mountains, The County, Downeast or even by County . . . including metropolitan areas -- i.e. Portland, Bath, Waterville, Lewiston-Auburn, Bangor, Caribou, etc.) and cache type (i.e. micro, puzzle, traditional, etc.)

I, for one, wouldn't be offended if my caches were or were not included on the list since anyone could at any time log on to geocaching.com and do their own search and find all of the caches in the area. Instead, I would view a potential list as a visitor or first-timer who would want to do some caches recommended by other cachers. For example, I don't make my way into the Western Foothills of Maine very often, but if I was to pass through that area I would love to know (if I had a limited amount of time) what caches are really worth going to . . . even if it is another person's (or persons') opinion. I may not agree with that opinion, but I suspect that there would be a general consensus of opinion on some of the top suggested picks.

As for who should put together this list . . . I would say someone here could create some categories and then members could list out some of their picks for those categories and in a final round members could vote. The folks here may not represent all of Maine's geocaching community, but I suspect they represent a fair cross-section of newbies-veterans and from all over Maine. And personally, I wouldn't be affronted if someone did or didn't like my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMaine
    Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved.
    One select group would certainly wrong. But, there is someone who has found all of the caches in Maine! It is all of us! Together, we have found all of the caches in Maine. The problem is: How do we get everyone involved. The fewer cachers involved, the more cliquish this project would become. That surely is a danger.

Another problem is the elitist nature of such a contest. Geocaching is a non-competitive sport. As a sport, it is possible to be the best. But, since it is non-competitive, "best" can only have meaning in terms of sportsmanship. One key element of a contest has to be a large number of categories, maybe more than number of caches! We need to focus only on what we like about the cache. Ideally, every cache would be best in some category. A category for "Best place to get eaten alive by mosquitoes" might be the last place you want to go, but exactly what a visiting entomologist is looking for.

Nominating your own cache should be encouraged. Perhaps the hider is the only one who knows exactly what is special about that cache. Also, the entries should have the permission of the cache owner, to prevent any misunderstandings.

Finally, the more discussion we have with other groups that have already held contests, the better this project would be. This has to be very well thought out or not done at all.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMaine
    Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved. The only folks that I think would be even REMOTELY eligible to run around and name the top 100 caches would be the 500+ people that have literally done EVERY SINGLE cache in Maine, including the non-existent new one that might come out tomorrow...

Wait, that's NO ONE, never mind 500.

Personally, I would be very VERY displeased if one of my caches hit a so-called official ‘geocachingmaine’ top 100 list. I would immediately insist on its removal because if there is anything that I am not, it's an elitist. Somewhere out there is another 100 caches that are still better than mine but that certain someone with the ‘power’ to vote didn’t even bother to cache any of them in the first place.

Having a group of 20 people that are the only regulars on a small website speak for the entire geocaching community in Maine ABOUT ANYTHING geocaching related is not only hurtful, it's absurd. Just because one may have more posts than 95% of the 100 people that actually come to this website DOESN'T give them more of a voice, only a louder one. Quite frankly, sometimes with some of the posts that I read on here? It’s in a very ugly, very loud voice. I have seen time and time again where someone says something they know they shouldn’t have said, something very juvenile, only to apologize later and delete their post. Personally, I think that any forum subject or post that is directed at any one single geocacher needs to be removed, no matter what it may or may not be about, good or bad. Save that sort of thing for a chat room or better still, a private e-mail between two individuals. An example would be to have a simple online list of accomplishments (100th FTF, 400th find, etc etc) and be done with it. A public discussion about either is not remotely neccessary. We all have opinions, no need to hash them out here!

If you don’t think that there are other geocaching clubs across the country that are sitting back and literally laughing at our website and our ‘organization’ then think again. Some of the things I read out here flat out embarrass me as a Maine geocacher!

It would be great to see this website acquire a better sense of community rather than the clique it surely has become. Perhaps better still, model itself more after it’s ‘parent’ site, geocaching.com itself. An injection of professionalism on this site would stand out as well.

On geocaching.com, you will never find a cache approver (or worthy charter member) speaking ill of ANY cache in a public forum, you will never find the owners of groundspeak speaking publicly for or against any one geocacher over another. Those people that formed this site need to hold themselves to the same standard as their counterparts in groundspeak.com - it's really that simple, or remove the 'Maine' part from this club and just call it for what it is. A few gecoachers that only get along with each other.

Sadly, there has even been talk of another geocaching club starting up in Maine for these very reasons and sincerely, that is not only a shame since we technically already have such a club (geocachingmaine.org) but that such an idea has even had to have been discussed.

What are you talking about??? I mean any of this

We are a very pasionate group who disagree from time to time. Where are you going to go where everything is fluffy bunnies? Have you ever been to the forumns in GC.com. They bad mouth everything. We all have our own opinions and from time to time they are strong and people get upset. That is what is called reallity. THere isn't anyone here that wouldnt be willing to drive and drive to help someone else in a pinch. These are some of the best people you will ever meet. You read post from the ones that have more most well because they are the ones actively involved in this web page. And we often look for way to make caching better.

I guess if I was embarrassed to be a geocachinginmaine meber, UHHHMM. Well lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.

Alot of work goes into this website and It seems only this week have we run into a few snags to speak of and I think they where cleared up.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Well lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.
    Let's not bring the F word into it.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Where are you going to go where everything is fluffy bunnies?
    Wow! Is there such a place? Is there a cache there? Do you have coordinates?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Wow! Is there such a place? Is there a cache there? Do you have coordinates?

Try here N71 05.376 W8 13.344

Jan Mayen that sounds like a great place for a cache

d’76 Guest

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Boy Geomaine, where have you been all these years anyway? You saying all is just hunky dory in the GC.com forums is a joke. There is more flaming going in that forum than any forum I have ever been involved with. I guess you don't read very much there.

As far as this forum goes, sure we have our moments but I can reassure you that in the end we are all good friends and there is nothing better than having a good one on one with another cacher once in while, it's good for the soul. and it the end we always make up and we are all together as one.

I never thought for one instant that suggesting some of our better caches to Newbies or Visitors would end up being such a hot topic. Geeze man give it a break will yah and get out and smell those lupines.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.