vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How close is close enough?

Default Greedy Capitalist

Quote Originally Posted by mainesurveyor
    As has been said before, when you get close slow down and let the GPSr begin averaging. When you get get consistent readings put it away and look for things out of the ordinary.

On a side topic...since everyone is in agreement that the coords of the placing cacher are important I'll offer a greedy, capitalist suggestion. As long as my boss doesn't mind, I'll bring a survey grade GPS unit out when the cache is being placed and give you a coordinate within a couple centimeters. This will benefit everyone by providing a highly precise position (of course your GPSr won't give you any better position) of the cache...I'll obviously have to charge for the service (remember...greedy capitalist)...and I'll have the record for FTFs in no time.
    GOOD TRY...... I PERSONALLY TRY TO GET 2 OR 3 READING WHEN PLACING A CACHE AND THEN TAKE THE AVERAGE. USUALLY JUST A FEW FEET APPART.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD-MUFFIN
    GOOD TRY...... I PERSONALLY TRY TO GET 2 OR 3 READING WHEN PLACING A CACHE AND THEN TAKE THE AVERAGE. USUALLY JUST A FEW FEET APPART.

I think you really need to get more than 2 or 3 readings to get a good average. I don't have a new GPS'r that has waypoint averaging so what I usually do is get 8 or 10 readings on different days and then average those. You would be surprised the difference that one or 2 days can make with the readings.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

One thing I think I've finally figured out, you get MUCH better readings if you have FRESH batteries. I've been fussing lately about how far off my GPSr was, even with a 50% power level remaining. I decided to put in new batteries today, and wow! what a difference!

Bottom line, if you're ESTABLISHING a cache, make sure you've got fresh batteries in your GPSr, so that the accuracy is as good as your unit can get.

I have found that there are a few things that help in getting good coords to start with, 1 is try to get several measurements. 2 also check to see if your GPS is in WAAS mode at the time, This will help make sure they are more accurate. And the bigest help is that we all help the cache owner with posting what we get whne we try to find it. I myself will use what others are getting and average that into my readings to try to make it as close as I can be.

Occasionally with our Garmin we have an issue getting good readings with rocks, specifically ledge, but even occassionally just boulders. And as WRW says, fresh batteries are a must!

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans
    Occasionally with our Garmin we have an issue getting good readings with rocks, specifically ledge, but even occassionally just boulders. And as WRW says, fresh batteries are a must!
    and also sobriety plays a great role in getting good readings!! one time i wandered around the woods for 2 hours!! then i realized i was trying to put the coords into my DVD remote....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.